49ers Plaza

Has anyone else noticed this little shopping center by U-Club on hwy 49 called “49ers Plaza”? Anyone know whats going in over there? A store with a lot of quality Niners gear would be awesome

I saw that. Something good and Niner related NEEDS to go in there. We dont need another supercuts, coffee shop, chinese place, and tax joint.

what else can they possibly put into strip malls around here? They just expanded the one with Harris teeter and almost all of the new shops are sitting empty. The shopping center where Winn Dixie used to be has many vacancies as well. I wish they would add stuff that is not A) ugly and b) drivable only. I also wish it was a requirement for buildings to be built close to the road with the parking lots in the back. It would make cities feel a lot more dense and not so ugly and spread out.

There should be bridges, and reliable bus transportation making a close loop around the university for students. They could even use bridges to supplement the bus system ON campus. IE, have the bus run its loop, then go down the road that leas to harris, then have a bridge across the street so students could take a quick shuttle ride, cross harris, and be at Buffalo Wild Wings, IHOP, chens, Walgreens, etc.

There is no infrastructure up here considering that 7,000 people live on campus, like 20,000 people within a mile of the school… Itd be ideal if you could walk everywhere, or take a quick bus ride on a nice shuttle, not catering to people on N Tryon trying to get home to Beattes Ford or Freedom Dr.

There should be bridges, and reliable bus transportation making a close loop around the university for students. They could even use bridges to supplement the bus system ON campus. IE, have the bus run its loop, then go down the road that leas to harris, then have a bridge across the street so students could take a quick shuttle ride, cross harris, and be at Buffalo Wild Wings, IHOP, chens, Walgreens, etc.

There is no infrastructure up here considering that 7,000 people live on campus, like 20,000 people within a mile of the school… Itd be ideal if you could walk everywhere, or take a quick bus ride on a nice shuttle, not catering to people on N Tryon trying to get home to Beattes Ford or Freedom Dr.

A bridge across Harris Blvd. physically connecting the university campus and Picasso’s, the drug store, IHOP, Buff… etc. would be a great idea.

[QUOTE=RWORKMAN09;212605]
…buildings to be built close to the road with the parking lots in the back. It would make cities feel a lot more dense and not so ugly and spread out.[/QUOTE]

I’ll agree with that. This concept seems to be gradually catching on. I’ve noticed a lot of the newer shopping areas have been doing this in some parts of town. I think the ongoing question is where to put the “front” door; in the “front” on the sidewalk facing the street, or in the “back” close to the parking lot… or both.

That’d be great but bridges and tunnels (over or under roadways) never make it b/c they’re seen as breeding grounds for hobos. I know it sounds completely ridiculous, but thats always the argument made when a pedestrian bridge across roadways is proposed (minus interstates). Unless of course it is all landscaped and amazing looking, but your chances of someone building one like that are well… you’d have a better chance of hobos living under your bridge.

But I agree with you totally on getting access to places like that. I have sidewalks from my place to everywhere but to get anywhere I have to cross 49 or 29… no thanks.

edit: the picture was too big and stretched the screen out too far.

Where do you live Char?

University City Blvd. should be redesigned to be an actual real boulevard that is pedestrian friendly.

I always hated that I lived within walking distance of the school, but could never walk to class. The few times I did when my car was in the shop I was relegated to walking on the shoulder and being looked at like I was crazy for walking by others.

Also think about the number of people who have been hit by cars trying to cross University City Blvd. The whole area is designed for the automobile, even though it is a great area to be pedestrian friendly with the number of students in the area.

I could go on and on about how poorly planned much of the University area is, but I have to go back to dealing with the planning I’m actually being paid to do…

University City Blvd. should be redesigned to be an actual real boulevard that is pedestrian friendly.

I always hated that I lived within walking distance of the school, but could never walk to class. The few times I did when my car was in the shop I was relegated to walking on the shoulder and being looked at like I was crazy for walking by others.

Also think about the number of people who have been hit by cars trying to cross University City Blvd. The whole area is designed for the automobile, even though it is a great area to be pedestrian friendly with the number of students in the area.

I could go on and on about how poorly planned much of the University area is, but I have to go back to dealing with the planning I’m actually being paid to do…

Agreed. Especially for the students who live at U-Walk. Its absolutely ridiculous watching those guys try crossing University City Blvd during rush hour. Its just a matter of time until somebody gets hit…I’m sure that’s what it’ll take for the university to do something about it.

A couple years ago I had an Urbanism class and there was a charette done about the re-design of this area in regards to 49, 29, Harris, and the light rail (eventually coming). It would have entailed smoothing out the merging of 49 and 29 and the harris 29 intersection, basically all would have widened with landscaped mediums with sidewalks and connections. I can’t actually remember how the 29, harris, and light rail was going to work out but the traffic pattern would have had one passing over the other. Really different but it would of allowed better pedestrian traffic, lower speed limit, light rail, and stores all within walking distance of eachother. But it was a charette which is basically some nice drawings they do and say “you should do this Charlotte” and Charlotte says “thanks we’ll call you in the morning.” But they never call.

Rworkman I live at Campus Walk… I can walk to 49 or 29 but I’d have to be somewhat retarded given the traffic and/or drunk… really drunk.

Agreed. Especially for the students who live at U-Walk. Its absolutely ridiculous watching those guys try crossing University City Blvd during rush hour. Its just a matter of time until somebody gets hit...I'm sure that's what it'll take for the university to do something about it.

oh and somebody did get hit crossing there in 2006… I wanna say it was during the summer but I do recall that someone got nailed.

At least once a year, someone get’s hit crossing 49. Some have even been killed. I’m really surprised no action has been taken or pushed.

a pedestrian bridge across 49 is just ridiculous. Crosswalks are provided, people getting hit aren’t getting hit at crosswalks. As a matter of fact, people arent using the crosswalks for the most part.

A pedestrian bridge would be hundreds of thousands of dollars and would not be used. I lived at UWalk for a year, me and everyone else who lived there, and the apartments behind there were to lazy to walk a hundred yards down to the crosswalk, why would anyone walk an additional distance to cross on a bridge.

How many bridges would you put up, where would you put them, where does it end, do you next want one from CRI to Bloom?

At some point people have to use good judgement and stop expecting the government to help them jaywalk.

I agree ID. Still surprises me there’s not like some organization like (MoSDJK) Mothers of Stupid Drunk Jaywalking Kids that is lobbying the school. Good point about why it would be a waste of money.

That'd be great but bridges and tunnels (over or under roadways) never make it b/c they're seen as breeding grounds for hobos. I know it sounds completely ridiculous, but thats always the argument made when a pedestrian bridge across roadways is proposed (minus interstates). Unless of course it is all landscaped and amazing looking, but your chances of someone building one like that are well.... you'd have a better chance of hobos living under your bridge.

But I agree with you totally on getting access to places like that. I have sidewalks from my place to everywhere but to get anywhere I have to cross 49 or 29… no thanks.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

HOBOS!!! YES!!! Hobos living under your bridge… ROFL. Like an unemployed troll.

I don’t disagree with you, but when I saw “breeding grounds for hobos” I almost passed out from laughing so hard.

It’s not a pretty picture.

[QUOTE]a pedestrian bridge across 49 is just ridiculous. Crosswalks are provided, people getting hit aren’t getting hit at crosswalks. As a matter of fact, people arent using the crosswalks for the most part.[/QUOTE]

Let me give you an example. I live in UT. One of my roomates does not have a car. She cannot cross over University City to get to the shopping center where Toppers, ABC store, etc. is. There is a cross walk across John Kirk on our side, and a cross Walk across UCity blvd., but not a crosswalk across UCity bvld on our side of John Kirk, and no cross walk to get across John Kirk on the other side. Basically… there is no way to get over there in a cross walk.

This is absolutely ridiculous in an area with so many people who could potentially be walking places. I see nothing wrong with adding a bridge.

[QUOTE=ninerID;212784]a pedestrian bridge across 49 is just ridiculous. Crosswalks are provided, people getting hit aren’t getting hit at crosswalks. As a matter of fact, people arent using the crosswalks for the most part.

A pedestrian bridge would be hundreds of thousands of dollars and would not be used. I lived at UWalk for a year, me and everyone else who lived there, and the apartments behind there were to lazy to walk a hundred yards down to the crosswalk, why would anyone walk an additional distance to cross on a bridge.

How many bridges would you put up, where would you put them, where does it end, do you next want one from CRI to Bloom?

At some point people have to use good judgement and stop expecting the government to help them jaywalk.[/QUOTE]
I’ve almost been hit a few times this year walking across the crosswalk. Idiots turning left out of there either don’t pay attention or don’t know that pedestrians have the right of way. It’s pretty scary walking across the road and having to jump out of the way of a dumbass driver.

Let me give you an example. I live in UT. One of my roomates does not have a car. She cannot cross over University City to get to the shopping center where Toppers, ABC store, etc. is. There is a cross walk across John Kirk on our side, and a cross Walk across UCity blvd., but not a crosswalk across UCity bvld on our side of John Kirk, and no cross walk to get across John Kirk on the other side. Basically... there is no way to get over there in a cross walk.

This is absolutely ridiculous in an area with so many people who could potentially be walking places. I see nothing wrong with adding a bridge.

adding a nice crosswalk would be better than adding a pedestrian bridge, adding an ABC store in the Student Union would be better than that.

Pedestrian bridges don’t happen because they just aren’t a smart use of money.

In most cases they arent a smart use of money. But you also dont typically find 20,000 potential pedestrians in a 2 mile radius surrounded by 4 line highways either. They aren’t going to change the roads, so they can at least add supporting infrastructure.