49ers Ready for Football

Charlotte Observer

http://www.charlotte.com/colleges/story/159418.html

Two most important parts of the article in my opinion:

[I]1) He noted [B]there are good, solid feelings among conferences for a program in Charlotte.

[/B]2) Paul Griffin, senior associate director of athletics at Georgia Tech, will speak at the committeeā€™s next meeting on June 28. [B]Griffin also was athletics director at South Florida when that school started football.

[/B][/I]The first is EXCELLENT news and looks very good for the future of 49er athletics if we add football. There is almost no chance that these larger conferences come calling for a market share of Charlotte, without football.

The second makes me think that the direction of this committee, steared by Mac, is to convince this school to start football. Bringing in a USF guy is an obvious bias point of view from success story, not that I am complaining.

So far this series of meetings for the football committee seems to be going about 5 times better than what I expected.

[QUOTE=ninerID;243170]Two most important parts of the article in my opinion:

[I]1) He noted [B]there are good, solid feelings among conferences for a program in Charlotte.

[/B]2) Paul Griffin, senior associate director of athletics at Georgia Tech, will speak at the committeeā€™s next meeting on June 28. [B]Griffin also was athletics director at South Florida when that school started football.

[/B][/I]The first is EXCELLENT news and looks very good for the future of 49er athletics if we add football. There is almost no chance that these larger conferences come calling for a market share of Charlotte, without football.

The second makes me think that the direction of this committee, steared by Mac, is to convince this school to start football. Bringing in a USF guy is an obvious bias point of view from success story, not that I am complaining.

So far this series of meetings for the football committee seems to be going about 5 times better than what I expected.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see that about the conferences, but I hope its the Big East that has the most goodwill towards us.

As for Griffin, well maybe heā€™s looking for a new job, watch out Judy!

[QUOTE=ninerID;243170]
So far this series of meetings for the football committee seems to be going about 5 times better than what I expected.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I wasnā€™t sure of things until they said mac would lead it. If Mac thinks it is a good idea, then that is how the group is being steered.

I am a little worried about what will happen when we go to the faculty and student fourms in the Fall.

This will be the oppourtunity for people like Crystal from NineronLine and even worse, anti-sports faculty members to rip into the idea in public.:unsure:

As for Griffin, well maybe he's looking for a new job, watch out Judy!

Apparently he got screwed out of USF and a lot of people didnā€™t want him to leave. Said he did a lot in the Tampa Bay area (something we could use).

Article on Griffin being fired at USF:
http://www.sptimes.com/News/031001/TampaBay/Departure_stuns_some_.shtml

Article on Griffin being hired at GT:
http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/genrel/071601aaa.html

I think Griffin would be an excellent hire but I think he is about 60 years old. I donā€™t know if he wants to take over another chapter in his career, especially one as taxing as taking the Charlotte 49ers athletics program to another level.

if this study is producing a valid reason (especially financially) to pursue football, then i donā€™t think a couple people complaining publicly would be enough to overturn the committeeā€™s decision

After reading those articles you posted ID, I think he would leap at the chance.

He lead USF from Metro to CUSA. From no football to DI-A. He was forced out because of a lawsuit over the womens basketball coach and would love to rehabilitate his legacy.

He didnā€™t even get the right to preside over the move into the BCS, which Iā€™m willing to bet he did most of the hard work for. Doing for Charlotte what he did for USF would be vindication in multitudes!

Iā€™d want to see his presentation 1st though.

[QUOTE=donkeyjaws;243175]if this study is producing a valid reason (especially financially) to pursue football, then i donā€™t think a couple people complaining publicly would be enough to overturn the committeeā€™s decision[/QUOTE]

Honestly, its not the public complainers Iā€™m worried about. Iā€™m worried about what the academic department heads will say to Dubois when the doors are closed.

They have the biggest voice in this institution outside of major donors and I doubt many would be very excited about adding football when Iā€™m sure they think they can spend the money better themselves.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;243173]I am a little worried about what will happen when we go to the faculty and student fourms in the Fall.

This will be the oppourtunity for people like Crystal from NineronLine and even worse, anti-sports faculty members to rip into the idea in public.:unsure:[/QUOTE]

Debate is good and if we are going to do this we need support from all sides of the university. Some people will be against it, but I have a feeling the majority will support it. These forums are where CFI needs to make the next big push.

[QUOTE=WBNiner;243179]Debate is good and if we are going to do this we need support from all sides of the university. Some people will be against it, but I have a feeling the majority will support it. These forums are where CFI needs to make the next big push.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but folks like Crystal donā€™t want to debate, they want to protest and make a scene!

But will Crystal protest when heavily outnumbered in public? Itā€™s easy to do a written complaint as she did earlier.

I am a little worried about what will happen when we go to the faculty and student fourms in the Fall.

This will be the oppourtunity for people like Crystal from NineronLine and even worse, anti-sports faculty members to rip into the idea in public.:unsure:

Iā€™m not worried about it. If everyone in CFI shows up to speak for it, then we can drown out the naysayers with our positive talk.

Iā€™m already writing my speech and preparing my talking pointsā€¦ Luckily, I have been researching sports economics and social benefits a lot recently.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;243169]He noted there are good, solid feelings among conferences for a program in Charlotte.[/QUOTE]
:clap: I always thought and hoped so. Itā€™s good to hear an outsider say! :thumbsup:

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;243169]
After that, the committee will hold two more meetings this summer, then a series of forums for students and faculty.[/QUOTE]
I know some of you arenā€™t confident of this portions impact, but I have to say it is more than neccessary. And with how many of us support it, we could all make sure to show up for that portion. I think the purpose of those forums isnā€™t to make a desicion, but to see if anything surfaces that they may have not covered yet.

[QUOTE=ninerID;243170]Two most important parts of the article in my opinion:

I thought the same thing. These meetings are leaning very heavily toward the addition of football. And its hard to discount the fact that other conferences have positive feelings towards adding Charlotte if we have football.

Add this to last meetings revelation that the committee feels that with the addition of footballā€¦and the title 9 stuffā€¦the department will break even. That is the most important thing. The fact they feel this wayā€¦and are willing to put that out there to the public, would make it a lot harder to find an excuse to get out of starting football. Losing money could have been a deal breaker IMO.

You know, if you post the entire article, no one clicks the link. If no one clicks the link, you donā€™t show up in the most viewed stories on charlotte.com. If you donā€™t show up in the most viewed stories, the sports editor thinks no one cares. Well, that and itā€™s a copyright infringement to post more than 200 words. Please donā€™t post the whole story on the board.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;243196]You know, if you post the entire article, no one clicks the link. If no one clicks the link, you donā€™t show up in the most viewed stories on charlotte.com. If you donā€™t show up in the most viewed stories, the sports editor thinks no one cares. Well, that and itā€™s a copyright infringement to post more than 200 words. Please donā€™t post the whole story on the board.[/QUOTE]

I took it off of the thread for you Mike!:biggrin:

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;243196]You know, if you post the entire article, no one clicks the link. If no one clicks the link, you donā€™t show up in the most viewed stories on charlotte.com. If you donā€™t show up in the most viewed stories, the sports editor thinks no one cares. Well, that and itā€™s a copyright infringement to post more than 200 words. Please donā€™t post the whole story on the board.[/QUOTE]
I had wondered about thatā€¦

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;243199]I took it off for you Mike!:biggrin:[/QUOTE]
Thanks!

You know, if you post the entire article, no one clicks the link. If no one clicks the link, you don't show up in the most viewed stories on charlotte.com. If you don't show up in the most viewed stories, the sports editor thinks no one cares.

I think what Mike P is saying isā€¦

[SIZE=7]STEM!!![/SIZE]

April Bethea is a good writer and covers our university on just about everything.

I hate to think she wouldnā€™t get credit for something.