49ers Men's Soccer ⚽

Went to Radford game last night. Took 23 shots and nearly all of 2 OTs to eke out a 1-0 win. And the Highlanders were playing a man down for the final 15 minutes following a red card in the first overtime period! Still, a win is a win, though being a OOC match doesn’t help any in the C-USA standings.

[quote=“Run49er, post:3021, topic:25684”]Went to Radford game last night. Took 23 shots and nearly all of 2 OTs to eke out a 1-0 win. And the Highlanders were playing a man down for the final 15 minutes following a red card in the first overtime period! Still, a win is a win, though being a OOC match doesn’t help any in the C-USA standings.[/quote] Also took a one v. one stop by our keeper. Otherwise, 1-0 them.

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/womens_soccer_2017/

Vote for our own player (Martha Thomas) at the above link.

Tough loss again tonight vs. #5 Louisville. Watched the whole game because aside from volleyball, this is the only team playing right now worth a damn. We were playing the typical Niner game. Shots clanking off the post, going wide of the net, you name it. All around the net but never in it. Outshot our opponent again. Very late in the second half it was pretty ridiculous, like 10-2 or something. Then give up a goal in OT to lose. Don’t watch this team - it’s too frustrating.

Also at UofL game. Agree that this edition of Niner futbol very frustrating to watch.

Also at UofL game. Agree that this edition of Niner futbol very frustrating to watch.[/quote] This team could very well finish with the best shot difference in the nation and still miss the NCAA tournament. Something is obviously lacking in our ability to finish and score.

AAAAARRRRRRRHGGGGGGH

They did it again. Dominated SC and gave up a goal with 4 minutes left to go in the game to get a draw instead of the win against one of the conference cellar dwellers. Ugh.

[quote=“austinniner, post:3027, topic:25684”]AAAAARRRRRRRHGGGGGGH

They did it again. Dominated SC and gave up a goal with 4 minutes left to go in the game to get a draw instead of the win against one of the conference cellar dwellers. Ugh.[/quote]
Tying the last place and winless in C-USA Gamecocks just another frustrating point in the 2017 Niner futbol season. Hopefully with all the youth on the team - only 4 seniors on squad - will pay dividends down the road.

The 2017 rollercoaster ride with Niners futbol produced a 4-3 OT win over Georgia State last night. Great save by GK Elliot Panico on a Panther penalty kick in the final minute of the first half proved crucial in the final outcome. M Dean Rutherford made the winning goal.

watched tonight’s game, especially since no foosball ( 4 the >:D )today. I thought they played OK. 0-0 tie against a good New Mexico team. I think Kentucky up next and then C-USA tourney. At large probably out of the question unless we go on a tear in the tourney, but even though it’s a down year, I still have hope for this team.

[quote=“austinniner, post:3030, topic:25684”]watched tonight’s game, especially since no foosball ( 4 the >:D )today. I thought they played OK. 0-0 tie against a good New Mexico team. I think Kentucky up next and then C-USA tourney. At large probably out of the question unless we go on a tear in the tourney, but even though it’s a down year, I still have hope for this team.[/quote]. I guess Niner women’s soccer team didn’t get the “we always pull a Niner” memo from NNN. They upset the #1 seed, 21st ranked and unbeaten in conference Rice Owls today in CUSA tourney.

[quote=“919R, post:3031, topic:25684”][quote=“austinniner, post:3030, topic:25684”]watched tonight’s game, especially since no foosball ( 4 the >:D )today. I thought they played OK. 0-0 tie against a good New Mexico team. I think Kentucky up next and then C-USA tourney. At large probably out of the question unless we go on a tear in the tourney, but even though it’s a down year, I still have hope for this team.[/quote]. I guess Niner women’s soccer team didn’t get the “we always pull a Niner” memo from NNN. They upset the #1 seed, 21st ranked and unbeaten in conference Rice Owls today in CUSA tourney.[/quote] Rice pulled an Owl. Dominated play and lost

Niners with ANOTHER draw against Kentucky. Dominated play, but again had trouble putting the ball in the net. Stupid unnecessary penalty in the box gave Kentucky a PK, otherwise we win this one. We get some people who can finish and this team is top 10 for sure. Some help on D wouldn’t help either, but offense is where we need it. Finish the season with 6-4-6 record. I hope we’re good at PKs, because we’re going to need them in post season play.

We are CHARLOTTE!!!

UGH!

[quote=“austinniner, post:3033, topic:25684”]Niners with ANOTHER draw against Kentucky. Dominated play, but again had trouble putting the ball in the net. Stupid unnecessary penalty in the box gave Kentucky a PK, otherwise we win this one. We get some people who can finish and this team is top 10 for sure. Some help on D wouldn’t help either, but offense is where we need it. Finish the season with 6-4-6 record. I hope we’re good at PKs, because we’re going to need them in post season play.[/quote]. I expect them to make a run similar to the women’s team

I wasn’t there but it sounds as if UK bunkered after they tied. Given the Niners have a LOT of shots, few SOG, and fewer goals I’m thinking we are NOT looking to posses in the final third and make the needed passes to get the higher percentage shot off. Getting down the field in a hurry and letting loose with a haymaker that isn’t on frame usually doesn’t work against decent goalies and teams. Hope the guys can get over the hump and at least get sog to improve.

Women’s team draws in championship match, but NT advances on PK. :frowning:

Another Niner soccer match, another OT affair - 8th of the season! Plus another lopsided shot differential - 22 for Niners vs 7 for UK. Must have one of the worst ratios of goals made to shots per game at the collegiate level!

Anyway, decent and vocal crowd for the home finale for the men’s squad. A frustrating season for sure but definitely not boring! Hopefully the guys can make some noise in Norfolk.

Go Niners! Beat the Lobos!

Defeat New Mexico on a penalty kick in the 81st minute. Our only penalty kick goal of the season on just our second chance. Playing against regular season champ FIU on Friday.