49ers Men's Soccer ⚽

I would venture to say this board grew-up when soccer was still a punchline about lack of football in an area. Give it 5-10 years and the alumni who have had access to soccer their entire life will probably be more engaged about this sport.

For reference, there was no youth soccer available in my area until I was a junior in high school. Now, soccer is just as available as flag football (western Iowa community of ~400 with two towns of 10K within 20 minutes).

Yeah, soccer in Iowa is less popular than Rugby. :slight_smile: I did not grow up with soccer either, but my daughter has been playing since she was 4 or 5. Have a game tonight to take her to.

Radford loss apparently dropped Niners from this week’s Top Drawer rankings. Kentucky still #3 in spite of their loss to FIU. Hmm…

We…are…CHARLOTTE.

clt says losing to radford should bump us out

TRLeader says losing to Radford while in the Top 20 rankings is a VERY Niner thing to do.

1 Like

Maybe losing to Radford woke the team up and they will play to their potential the rest of the way, like they did in the FIU game.

I could see them winning out - it’s definitely possible

Clarify please. winning out regular season, conference tournament, national championship.?
We do have a match on the regular season schedule against a team with an rpi higher than us. UIC.

After Radford, i’m also leery of Marshall on the road.

regular season. UIC is at home and is also senior night. We should win out, or at least go without a loss. Doesn’t mean it will happen though - Radford proves that there can be let-downs. Also, we’re hosting the C-USA tourney, so I think we do pretty well there also.

As long as we don’t lose MORE than 2 more games, we’ll be in the tourney.

Vote for Callum Montgomery here:

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/mens_soccer_2018/

STEM!!!

I dont have your optimism. Ncaa screwjobs have started trickling into sports other than bball and fball.

I didn’t think they played very well today, but a win is a win - goal with a minute left in regulation.

Don’t forget to vote for Callum today: Senior class award

Not so far on our soccer team.

Maybe not on bids but they have on seeding.

1 Like

You can always debate seeds. I am talking about bids.

our lads beat up-state 3-0.

5 Likes

Really enjoyed watching the 2nd half. First half, not so much. Really blew them away with control and shots, but a couple of careless mistakes we were able to overcome.

Niners definitely found the net after a scoreless first half. And got an “assist” from the referee on what should have been a PK for USC Upstate when he ruled the infraction happened just outside the box.

Niner futbolers now 9-3-1 heading into our final regular season OOC matchup on Saturday vs UIC.