49ers Men's Soccer ⚽

To be The Man you gotta beat The Man . Wooooo! Haha! THEY get to define The Man, though. So it’s P5.

Perhaps though definitely some exceptions:

#1 Wake vs New Hampshire-Colgate winner
#2 Indiana vs UConn-Rhode Island winner
#3 Kentucky vs Portland-UCLA winner
#6 Duke vs Pacific-UC Riverside winner
#14 UCF vs Washington-Lipscomb winner

Colgate University of Hamilton, NY is 40 miles from Syracuse (#16 Orange will host Akron-Rider winner), so NCAA certainly wasn’t thinking cost savings there. Of course, if CU loses to UNH, then a moot point - though not for UNH! Maybe the selection committee thought UNH is located in Durham, NC instead of Durham, NH! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I get what you’re saying but if you look at the bracket as a whole it’s fairly clear. You can’t make each region exactly perfect but you can group the first round or two to help. Just my 2 cents…

• UC Irvine, Stanford, Grand Canyon, Oregon St. and St. Mary’s are together
  • UNC, High Point, JMU, Charlotte, Georgia St and VT are together
  • ND, Michigan and Princeton together
  • Virginia, UNCW and Furman together

You guys aren’t doing your jobs - he’s dropping in %. Stem please: Senior Class Award

1 Like

Byrd, agree there are more regional matchups than not. Just don’t think NCAA really cares much about cost savings.

1 Like

Man, what a rotten night for soccer. I guess they will play regardless of the weather.

I would prefer we never play them. I used to love the matchup, but it is obvious now that we will never get a fair shake with them, so screw them and the refs.

4 Likes

It’s nasty… Like bad enough that I don’t really want to go. I probably still will though out of loyalty to the last remaining guys I know on the team.

Whether it was the 1st round game against them circa '91 or '92 (one of the Garcia brothers got taken down in the box 1 on 1 with no call - I was there. It was brutally obvious), or the NC game in '11, or either of the two times we have ever played them in hoops, we will never ever get a fair shake against them. We have plenty of evidence for that conclusion.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter about CHeat being in our bracket until we win the first two rounds. Ga State is in the tournament, so they are likely a good team. Va Tech is probably good and will have home field and ACC officiating.

If we win against CHeat, then I am up for chipping in to fund a sign that says “2018 Regional Champions” and putting it up where HWY 54 crosses I-40.

4 Likes

FWIW, VT is 10-6-3 (3-4-1 ACC regular season; 5th place in 6 team Coastal Division; and 1-1 in ACC tournament). 1-1 among common opponents with Niners - beat ODU 3-2 and lost to South Carolina 2-1.

Is the game on ESPN+ tonight?

http://conferenceusa.com/watch/default.aspx?Live=6814&path=charlotte

We need games with 40 minute halves. SHEESH!!

Clueless soccer questions: We tied in 3 OTs, so in the tournament what happens? We can’t both move forward, and it would screw up the bracket if neither of us moved forward, right?

Only 2 overtimes, then Penalty kicks. We won 3-0. We advance.

my GUESS is we move forward with shoot-out victory. ???

Penalty kicks.
We need to play 3 times better or the the next match won’t be pretty.

1 Like

we played the last 15 minuets of second half with one-man down. then two OTs. and advanced.

i’d say GREAT! just don’t do us that way again!