4th of July in Center City

I’ve seen the media’s take on it. I’ve seen the Mayor’s take on it. I’d like your opinions. Anyone who was in the Center City on July 4th, what were your opinions of the way CMPD handled the crowds?

I wasn’t there so I can’t really say, but I [I]will [/I]say that I was surprised when I heard what Mayor McCrory said about “gang attire.”

I wasn't there so I can't really say, but I [I]will [/I]say that I was surprised when I heard what Mayor McCrory said about "gang attire."

I missed that. What did he say?

I missed that. What did he say?

Good article speaking on this issue…

Source: http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/186723.html

I don’t think people should be condemned for wearing what they want and dressing how they want.

maybe “action,” but dress? This is America, Mr. Mayor.

I completely agree that people can wear what they want. However, what the Mayor did not say and probably meant is that those dressing in “gangster attire” were acting like gangsters as well. And by gangster attire, we’re talking dressing like Bloods and Crips, wearing the colors, and “repping” their “sets” with specific numerology on their clothing and throwing hand signs.

[QUOTE=NinerATL2CHA;247041]“Too many of our youth, primarily African-American, are imitating and/or participating in a gangster type of dress, attitude, behavior and action,” he wrote.[/QUOTE]

Dress is one thing, but combine it with, as he says “attitude, behavior, and action” and there is a very big problem.

Alright, I think this is just a miscommunication or misunderstanding of McCrory’s point. I have to say that I am disgusted at people complaining about too many arrests or too harsh of treatment this year. Do these people remember the last two years?! I am sick of what’s going on. All stereotyping aside, this needs to be addressed by the black community! I am glad they thought it out and helped prevent similar events this year. :thumbsup:

Dress is one thing, but combine it with, as he says "attitude, behavior, and action" and there is a very big problem.

whats the old saying? “if walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck…”

This city has gotten pretty ghetto. Something like 103 people arrested, one of which was a guy with an Ak-47, is that gang behavior or attire? Then the Charlotte Observer article the next morning is “Uptown Fairly Quiet”. Are you kidding me? In 2005 and 2006 there were around 25 arrested each year in uptown, we jump to 103, and its “fairly quiet”?

I think the uptown charlotte is a nice place, but I would dare take children there for the fourth. I would stick with the knights stadium fireworks.

Well, it was actually a lot quieter this year. There were actually 43 arrests last year, compared with 143 this year, but there could have been a lot more this year. They were also all done after the Civil Emergency Unit went to riot gear after gangs began throwing fireworks at us. This year, no groups were allowed to form to result in that type of behavior.

Why don’t we ask McCrory why this guy is allowed to even fix himself a sandwich at his house let alone be in Uptown on the 4th:
[URL=http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=1616]http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=1616[/URL]

whats the old saying? "if walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck......"

This city has gotten pretty ghetto. Something like 103 people arrested, one of which was a guy with an Ak-47, is that gang behavior or attire? Then the Charlotte Observer article the next morning is “Uptown Fairly Quiet”. Are you kidding me? In 2005 and 2006 there were around 25 arrested each year in uptown, we jump to 103, and its “fairly quiet”?

I think the uptown charlotte is a nice place, but I would dare take children there for the fourth. I would stick with the knights stadium fireworks.

I was about to respond but this fits my reply perfectly.

I live in uptown. We were out walking around on the 4th. It was DEFINITELY better than the last couple of years. There was a very large police presence this year. Honestly, we went in early (about 11:30), but the whole time we were out, I didn’t see anyone out making trouble or getting arrested. The last couple years I saw a lot of ruckus, comparatively.

I think its sad we have to have such a large police presence for celebration’s like this, but thats just the way it is in large cities. As for the mayor’s comments, they came off a little ignorant to me.

[QUOTE=ninerID;247066]whats the old saying? “if walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck…”

I think the uptown charlotte is a nice place, but I would dare take children there for the fourth. I would stick with the knights stadium fireworks.[/QUOTE]

the area i was in was really nice. They had about 3 or 4 security officers on every level patrolling making sure no one did anything stupid. when i was walking back to my car there was a police man every 300 feet roughly. it was pretty nice and secure.

They have this stupid street festival in chapel hill called apple chill and they had to cancel it because all these kids from durham were killing each other there.

There are some parts of Charlotte that aren’t safe, but once you get past south durham, the entire city is a cesspool.

They have this stupid street festival in chapel hill called apple chill and they had to cancel it because all these kids from durham were killing each other there.

There are some parts of Charlotte that aren’t safe, but once you get past south durham, the entire city is a cesspool.

Yeah Durham is an absolute garbage dump. Doesn’t it have the record for most fast food restaurants per square mile or something? I remember hearing that somewhere.

Alright, I think this is just a miscommunication or misunderstanding of McCrory's point. I have to say that I am disgusted at people complaining about too many arrests or too harsh of treatment this year. Do these people remember the last two years?! I am sick of what's going on. All stereotyping aside, this needs to be addressed by [B]the black community[/B]! I am glad they thought it out and helped prevent similar events this year. :thumbsup:

Hehe, josh said “black community.” I’m giggling inside.

Yeah Durham is an absolute garbage dump. Doesn't it have the record for most fast food restaurants per square mile or something? I remember hearing that somewhere.

Most resturants per capita, thats Hickory, NC

whats the old saying? "if walks like a duck, looks like a duck, quacks like a duck......"

x2

This July 4th was a nightmare. I was surrounded by Bloods, Crips and a few MS-13 boyz. I dropped a few racial slurs and then ran. Thank God for the cops that were there. They left them :fastgun: ganstas in a bloody heap.

Are you kidding? I go nowhere near downtown on the 4th.

This July 4th was a nightmare. I was surrounded by Bloods, Crips and a few MS-13 boyz...

Ay boi! Dont u foget tha mutha ****in NYNAZ! Da illest gang der ever did be, son!! Yeah I wuz der rockin my green rags an reppin the 28223! :shades: :fastgun: