5 best hoops teams in top 5 hoops states

[quote=“Run49er, post:20, topic:25368”][quote=“919R, post:19, topic:25368”][quote=“Run49er, post:18, topic:25368”][quote=“zerogeneticsdc, post:12, topic:25368”]Davidson: 10 tourneys, Elite 8
Charlotte: 11 tourneys, Final 4[/quote]
FWIW, Davidson has three Elite 8s on their resume. No denying we’re usually the champs of Mecklenburg County, though![/quote]

Yes, but I believe only one of them came since Charlotte has been D1 (the last 40 years). The last one is relevant of course, but the others are less releveant than our F4.[/quote]
If I follow your logic, then anything that happened before 1970 is irrelevant, be it an Elite 8, Final 4, National Championship, etc. Hmmm… :D[/quote]

Not exactly what I was saying. However, it seems some people think we are irrelevant because we haven’t been in a tournament in 6 years, but then its relevant to discuss the “3” Davidson ELite 8s, when 2 of them occurred 40+ years ago. ??? I dont really get that.

To get back directly to the point of this thread, I understand in this case the author was apparently talking about “recent” history and future outlook but I still am not sure why Davidson would be ahead of us. Its now been what 3 -4 years since their miraculous run. They haven’t done anything since and did nothing the previous 35+ years and by nothing I mean zero at-large bids and zero tourney wins. During that same 35-40 year period we’ve had 11 bids (~50% were at-large) and have multiple tourney wins.

I see nothing to make me think Davidson’s program has a better outlook than ours. They are still in a 1-bid league and we’re not. Remember, even in their great year they werent getting in without the SoCon tourney title. Even the couple 20 win seasons are nothing great. We’ve had our worst 5-6 year period (literally) since the early-mid 80s and we’ve still had 2 or 3 20 win seasons during that period and our coach got fired off a 19 win season.

I guess it does depend on the parameters you’re using as others have said, but I truly cant see putting Davidson ahead of us by any measure when the records, conferences and “future outlooks” are considered even with their “miracle run”.

Just stop talking about the 80s/90s/early 00s. The context of the article which started this thread was overlooked. It has been highlighted.

Folks probably have different definitions for “recent,” but the author’s definition, the most important definition in this case, appears to be the last ~5 years.

Davidson:
18-15 … Overall
16-15 … 34-30
27-8 … 61-38 NIT 2nd Rd
29-7 … 90-45 NCAA E8
29-5 … 119-50 NCAA 1st Rd

Charlotte:
10-20 … Overall
19-12 … 29-32
11-20 … 40-52
20-14 … 60-66 NIT 1st Rd
14-16 … 74-82

I don’t care how bad the SoCon is, we very well might not have won 20 games in that league in 3 of our last 5 years. Good teams win games, and winning 27, 29, and 29 games is nothing to scoff at. They did withdraw from our series for a while, but the last time we played them they beat us fairly handily.

As far as outlook, we have been on a generally downward spiral in the last 5 years where as Davidson had a very high peak and has fallen off but not like us. For someone whose heart isn’t with either of these teams, and is probably smart enough not to make rash predictions based on a bunch of recruits and an unproven coach, we look like the program with a much grimmer outlook.

Those of us familiar with the program/wearing green tinted glasses can see we will rise once more and overtake at least Davidson if not them and NCSU and WF; but on paper, they currently fit in the top 5 in our state better than Charlotte.

[quote=“49or bust, post:22, topic:25368”]Just stop talking about the 80s/90s/early 00s. The context of the article which started this thread was overlooked. It has been highlighted.

Folks probably have different definitions for “recent,” but the author’s definition, the most important definition in this case, appears to be the last ~5 years.

Davidson:
18-15 … Overall
16-15 … 34-30
27-8 … 61-38 NIT 2nd Rd
29-7 … 90-45 NCAA E8
29-5 … 119-50 NCAA 1st Rd

Charlotte:
10-20 … Overall
19-12 … 29-32
11-20 … 40-52
20-14 … 60-66 NIT 1st Rd
14-16 … 74-82

I don’t care how bad the SoCon is, we very well might not have won 20 games in that league in 3 of our last 5 years. Good teams win games, and winning 27, 29, and 29 games is nothing to scoff at. They did withdraw from our series for a while, but the last time we played them they beat us fairly handily.

As far as outlook, we have been on a generally downward spiral in the last 5 years where as Davidson had a very high peak and has fallen off but not like us. For someone whose heart isn’t with either of these teams, and is probably smart enough not to make rash predictions based on a bunch of recruits and an unproven coach, we look like the program with a much grimmer outlook.

Those of us familiar with the program/wearing green tinted glasses can see we will rise once more and overtake at least Davidson if not them and NCSU and WF; but on paper, they currently fit in the top 5 in our state better than Charlotte.[/quote]

Sorry, there I was expressing an opinion on a message board again…silly me.

Gah. And stop with the victim crap. I was just countering your argument which seemed to include a large amount of data outside the scope of this conversation. I used facts and was hardly offensive.

Other than Roy and K, McKillop at Davidson is about the only coach in NC that has had any real success at his current school. It’s also highly unlikely in this era they will ever get another player like S. Curry.

2010-2011 RPI

#4 Duke
#6 UNC
#96 ECU (1st year coach)
#125 NCSU (new coach)
#147 UNCA
#172 WCU
#182 Davidson
#195 App (1st year coach)
#218 UNCW (1st year coach)
#225 UNCC (1st year coach)
#231 NC A&T
#258 Wake (1st year coach)
#262 High Point
#264 Gardner Webb
#269 Elon
#279 Campbell
#298 UNCG

Most everyone with any real chance of taking the top spot behind Duke and UNC just got a new coach. The next 5 years are going to be interesting as to who establishes themselves as next in line after Duke and UNC in this state.

[quote=“StillJonesing, post:25, topic:25368”]Other than Roy and K, McKillop at Davidson is about the only coach in NC that has had any real success at his current school. It’s also highly unlikely in this era they will ever get another player like S. Curry.

2010-2011 RPI

#4 Duke
#6 UNC
#96 ECU (1st year coach)
#125 NCSU (new coach)
#147 UNCA
#172 WCU
#182 Davidson
#195 App (1st year coach)
#218 UNCW (1st year coach)
#225 UNCC (1st year coach)
#231 NC A&T
#258 Wake (1st year coach)
#262 High Point
#264 Gardner Webb
#269 Elon
#279 Campbell
#298 UNCG

Most everyone with any real chance of taking the top spot behind Duke and UNC just got a new coach. The next 5 years are going to be interesting as to who establishes themselves as next in line after Duke and UNC in this state.[/quote]

Where are we on this list?

My top 5:

ECU
Lebo
Jeff Lebo
LEEEEEEBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
zomg He’s going to stay forever Leeeeeboooooooooooo!!!111!!!1111oneoneone

The ludicrous insinuations this kid makes should be enough, but such besmerching of our name certainly is. Gulag, gulag, gulag.