.500 No Longer Required to Get Into NIT!!! WTF?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2333513

[QUOTE] All regular-season conference champions not in the NCAA tournament field will be guaranteed a berth in the National Invitation Tournament, [B]and teams no longer have to have .500 records to be selected for the NIT’s 40-team field. [/B] [/QUOTE]

The first part makes sense although I’d rather them expand the NCAA’s to accommodate those teams that don’t win their tournament. The second part–WTF? WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?

[SIZE=7]$[/SIZE]

Yeah that is pretty stupid. I dont agree with sub .500 if you dont have a winning record you shouldn’t be allowed to be in post-season play

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;155254][SIZE=7]$[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Pure & simple. The nit has ALWAYS been about the Benjamins. So now we can look for teams with “name” value getting into the nit with 4-24 records or EVERY non-NCAA bound acc team getting in. What a F$$$$$$ joke!
It says the teams will be $eeded. What will the criteria be to determine $eeding? RPI? Or like it always has been: “name” schools the nit want to make it to NY get home games throughout the tourney? The oddsmakers know: the odds for all nit games always favor the home team. Look it up and look for it this year too.

That’s a terrible rule and will certainly not help the NIT’s image of being the leftovers tournament. No matter what conference you are in, if you can’t win at least half of your games you don’t deserve any kind of post season. It’s all about the money.

On the bright side… now we have a chance to get a Wake Forest rematch in the NIT this year.

[QUOTE=karaokelegend;155253]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2333513

The first part makes sense although I’d rather them expand the NCAA’s to accommodate those teams that don’t win their tournament. The second part–WTF? WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?[/QUOTE]

Well…that makes it official…

Welcome to the NIT Wake Forest!!!

NIT is now = non BCS bowls - just another way to hand out money to the also rans in the “power” conferences.

if wake forest makes the NIT then we should take down every NIT banner we have in Halton.

1 conference win so far. give me a break.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
The BCS football has an even tighter grip on B-Ball, now.

How can anyone on this board complain about Wake Forrest making the NIT tournament when we can’t even beat them???

Are you saying that we deserve to be in the NIT and Wake does not?

Pretty thin ice to stand on with this argument.

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;155277]How can anyone on this board complain about Wake Forrest making the NIT tournament when we can’t even beat them???

Pretty thin ice to stand on with this argument.[/QUOTE]

Was Santa Clara a better team than UNC-Chapel Hill last year?

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;155277]How can anyone on this board complain about Wake Forrest making the NIT tournament when we can’t even beat them???

Your argument is weak too. It is all about complete body of work. Georgetown beat Duke, so Duke can’t possibly be a higher seed than Georgetown since Georgetown is obviously the better team. Oklahoma lost to Nebraska, Kansas lost to St. Joe’s and Kansas St. among others, the list goes on and on. Beating a team that deserves a tournament bid (NCAA or NIT) doesn’t make you more deserving of a bid then them.

We lost to Wyoming, do they deserve an NIT bid more than we do?

I was simply stating that Wake will be below 500 at years end…and now with the new rule…they will be in the NIT.

And yes…they beat us…but they still suck worse than we do!

I read the Wake board today and they were loving this crap. I hate this rule.

[QUOTE=switchfoot;155292]I read the Wake board today and they were loving this crap. I hate this rule.[/QUOTE]
Being in the ACC, they will probably end up getting at least one home game out of it. Well, at least if the commitee doesn’t put them against any school with 200 miles…

Hmmm… see why being in a power conference gets you SO much. Wake fans may be loving it now. But I hope we have to go play them at Joel again. I’m going to love it when we wax them this time and have more fans being louder than them again.

[QUOTE]The regular-season champions of the 31 Division I conferences not in the NCAA’s field of 65 will be invited.

“The committee was unanimous in its view on this matter,” Newton said. [B]“It formalizes what postseason basketball should be – a reward for success throughout the regular season.”[/B][/QUOTE]
That sounds a bit like a double standard to me, sub .500 is not a successful season… EVER!

Football is next. Teams will be able to go to a bowl game with a 4-7 record.

BCS now stands for “BIG CROCK of SHIT”.

Concerning that Wake/Charlotte rematch some of you mentioned, I won’t be surprised if Wake draws the Gamec0cks in the first round.

so what it’s the nit if you make the nit it means you had a sorry year anyway, whats the difference, your playing to be crowned the 66th best team.

If we rematch at Wake, I doubt many Niner fans will show up. We have the decency to not care about the loser’s tourney, aka the Nit.