.500 No Longer Required to Get Into NIT!!! WTF?

Wouldn’t it be funny if an ACC team had to come to Halton for the first round of the NIT.

[QUOTE=JaMiNNiNeR;155322]Wouldn’t it be funny if an ACC team had to come to Halton for the first round of the NIT.[/QUOTE]

Will NOT happen, but if it did, would anyone besides us hardcores show up? The Greeks (narcissic crybabies), students too poor (cheap) to actually pay for a ticket? (and it WON’T be free.) Nope. Just us hardcores would be there, as we always are because we’re the real fans of this school and its teams.

[QUOTE=49er1;155323]Will NOT happen, but if it did, would anyone besides us hardcores show up? The Greeks (narcissic crybabies), students too poor (cheap) to actually pay for a ticket? (and it WON’T be free.) Nope. Just us hardcores would be there, as we always are because we’re the real fans of this school and its teams.[/QUOTE]

and on the bright side…

[QUOTE=49er1;155323]Will NOT happen, but if it did, would anyone besides us hardcores show up? The Greeks (narcissic crybabies), students too poor (cheap) to actually pay for a ticket? (and it WON’T be free.) Nope. Just us hardcores would be there, as we always are because we’re the real fans of this school and its teams.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but that same statement can just about apply to many programs, including nearby acc schools.

I doubt Wake will get many in Joel Coliseum if student tickets and season tickets do not get you in the building. They have not drawn that well in past NIT games and I imagine this year will be worse.

Va Tech, USC, and Clemson might have decent crowds because of the novelty of post-season appearances. Maybe our good friends from memphis state could answer these questions. They are the NIT experts. :smile:

[QUOTE=Max Power;155281]Was Santa Clara a better team than UNC-Chapel Hill last year?[/QUOTE]

for at leats that one game they were

[QUOTE=Max Power;155281]Was Santa Clara a better team than UNC-Chapel Hill last year?[/QUOTE]

No they were not at the end of the year, what is your point??

You guys have made my point. All this talk about Wake and what they may be able to do and we could not even beat the last place team in the ACC on National TV.

I just hate all the ACC talk when we (rarely) step up to back up all of the talk.

No, I do not think Wake deserves to make the NIT, but what would our record be if we were in their place in the ACC?? To be honest, we have struggled all year and have had to really fight to beat some pretty weak teams.

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;155425]No they were not at the end of the year, what is your point??

You guys have made my point. All this talk about Wake and what they may be able to do and we could not even beat the last place team in the ACC on National TV.

I just hate all the ACC talk when we (rarely) step up to back up all of the talk.

No, I do not think Wake deserves to make the NIT, but what would our record be if we were in their place in the ACC?? To be honest, we have struggled all year and have had to really fight to beat some pretty weak teams.[/QUOTE]

Careful, Big Time, some folks here can’t handle the truth. The last 2 times we coulda beaten acc teams, we didn’t. I was one of the crowers that the acc was skeered to play us (they are), but when they do play us, they are the ones fired up and inspired, not us. We have flopped and it’s been sickening, but it’s real.

[QUOTE=49er1;155440]Careful, Big Time, some folks here can’t handle the truth. The last 2 times we coulda beaten acc teams, we didn’t. I was one of the crowers that the acc was skeered to play us (they are), but when they do play us, they are the ones fired up and inspired, not us. We have flopped and it’s been sickening, but it’s real.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to piss off any fellow niner nation brothers, but the truth does hurt sometimes. Yes I know, they only play us where and when they say - blah , blah, blah. I want to beat them as bad as anyone, but please stop the trash talk until we show that we can back it up.

From Mike DeCourcy today:

The NCAA's announcement that it would not have a rule barring sub-.500 teams from the postseason NIT should not be taken as a warning that dreadful major conference teams will be lining the field. Although a minimum .500 record was a standard for the previous NIT committee, it was not a written rule, and the NCAA wanted that clarified now that it is running the event. This is consistent with the NCAA Tournament, which accepts sub-.500 teams when they are automatic qualifiers. And with the new rule that says conference regular-season champions that don't make the NCAAs will find a place in the NIT, some losing teams might earn their way in. Occasionally, teams in the lower-rated leagues finish with overall losing records because they play the majority of their nonconference games on the road.

Upping my post count, more on this from Doyel from a few days ago:

Any team that wins its league's regular-season championship, but doesn't get an NCAA Tournament invitation, is guaranteed an NIT bid. That's fabulous. A successful team from a smaller league -- a team that knows how to win -- is going to have better chemistry, better confidence and better results than a mediocre team from a larger league.

Teams no longer have to have a winning record to be eligible. That’s going to be a rarely explored avenue, but it’s nice to have the option.

The field will be seeded, and when at all possible the higher seeds will be the host schools. No longer will home games be awarded to teams that offer the best possible gates. They will be awarded to teams that offer the best possible, you know, teams.

Will NOT happen, but if it did, would anyone besides us hardcores show up? The Greeks (narcissic crybabies), students too poor (cheap) to actually pay for a ticket? (and it WON'T be free.) Nope. Just us hardcores would be there, as we always are because we're the real fans of this school and its teams.

Umm Student Tickets are Free for games in Halton arena. Does the NIT change things?