A-10 commitments for 2009-10

I almost put this in the A-10 2008-09 commitments thread when I realized this UD commit is class of 2009! Anyway, the Flyers get a verbal from one of their primary targets for 2009.

DDN.com: Centerville’s Kavanaugh commits to UD

La Salle gets a commit from a local player…

Rivals.com: Nurideen Lindsey profile

Dick “Hoops” Weiss of the NY Daily News has some good things to say about La Salle’s recent commitment:

La Salle coach John Giannini looks like he has finally found the point guard who can push him into the upper echelon in the Atlantic 10 with word that Nurideen Lindsey, a junior from Overbrook who was the Philly Public League's leading scorer as a sophomore, has verbally committed. We've loved Lindsey ever since he was a freshman and think he's the second best guard in his class in that city behind Malik Wayans of Roman Catholic, who committed to Villanova this summer.

Link: NYDailyNews.com

Philly.com: Panthers’ Lindsey chooses La Salle

St. Joe’s gets its first commit for 09-10 in 6-8/240 F Carl Baptiste of North Hunterdon, NJ.

Philly.com: Baptiste commits to Saint Joseph’s

St. Joe’s gains 6-11 Todd O’Brien…

Philly.com: Saint Joseph’s basketball adds Bucknell transfer

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/04/jonathan-mitchell-heading-home.html

Florida transfer, Jonathan Mitchell, is considering UMass, where his former HS teammate and best friend Chris Lowe plays. They wouldn’t get the chance to play together, which means the 2 Big East schools (Seton Hall & Rutgers, Rutgers which has a former HS teammate of Mitchell’s as well) on his trail could get strong considerations.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;314619]Florida transfer, Jonathan Mitchell, is considering UMass, where his former HS teammate and best friend Chris Lowe plays.[/QUOTE]
2002, saw that, as well as UConn backup PG Doug Wiggins may transfer to either Fordham or UMass and have 2 years after sitting out next season.

NHRegister.com: UConn’s Wiggins transferring

Fordham picks up its first commit for 2009 in 6-7 F Chris Gaston, who will be prepping in 08-09 at St. Benedict’s (Newark, NJ):

NorthJersey.com: Gaston to Fordham in '09

Scout.com: Fordham Lands A Quality 2009 Prospect

BTW, ex-Gator Jonathon Mitchell will not be headed to UMass…

NYDailyNews.com: Ford’s departure puts UMass out of running for Mitchell

[QUOTE=run49er;314794]Fordham picks up its first commit for 2009 in 6-7 F Chris Gaston, who will be prepping in 08-09 at St. Benedict’s (Newark, NJ):

NorthJersey.com: Gaston to Fordham in '09

Scout.com: Fordham Lands A Quality 2009 Prospect

BTW, ex-Gator Jonathon Mitchell will not be headed to UMass…

NYDailyNews.com: Ford’s departure puts UMass out of running for Mitchell[/QUOTE]

He will end up at Rutgers.

Where does St. Joes find these big men? Baptiste sounds like a monster. Next headline should be “St. Joes unearths 7-11 beast man, expect him to be open all day.”

DK gets his first commit…

FOXSports.com: UConn guard Wiggins leaving for UMass

DK gets his first commit...

FOXSports.com: UConn guard Wiggins leaving for UMass

Wiggins originally committed to St. Johns, and then weaseled out when Uconn came calling due to a recruit not qualifying. It was a big stink in the BE because supposedly Uconn talked the kid even though he already committed to SJU. He went to Uconn and was immediately recruited over. Calhoun is a snake of a man, and anyone could see this coming. Has talent. Is really quick. A bit of a combo guard. Could do some damage on the A-10 level.

He will end up at Rutgers.

Mitchell did end up at Rutgers. Some people that I know always thought he was in over his head at Florida, and don’t like his game much at all.

Wiggins originally committed to St. Johns, and then weaseled out when Uconn came calling due to a recruit not qualifying. It was a big stink in the BE because supposedly Uconn talked the kid even though he already committed to SJU. He went to Uconn and was immediately recruited over. Calhoun is a snake of a man, and anyone could see this coming.

I wonder if Calhoun and Huggy are drinking buddies.

I’d like to see us lead the way with recruiting for a change, nailing some early commitments. If memory serves, last year there were dozens of commitments for other A10 teams before we finally got one. It’s frustrating and concerning to watch everyone else grab talent while we pan for the elusive nugget (get it? 49ers - panning for elusive nuggets? Sorry)

I'd like to see us lead the way with recruiting for a change, nailing some early commitments. If memory serves, last year there were dozens of commitments for other A10 teams before we finally got one. It's frustrating and concerning to watch everyone else grab talent while we pan for the elusive nugget (get it? 49ers - panning for elusive nuggets? Sorry)

Seems like the best time to get JUCOs is in the Spring signing period though.

[QUOTE=Tenniner;321219]I’d like to see us lead the way with recruiting for a change, nailing some early commitments. If memory serves, last year there were dozens of commitments for other A10 teams before we finally got one. It’s frustrating and concerning to watch everyone else grab talent while we pan for the elusive nugget (get it? 49ers - panning for elusive nuggets? Sorry)[/QUOTE]

I think that if every NCAA Division I basketball school had a robotic “Recruiting Drama-O-Meter” in their basements, ours would be gushing black smoke, wires would be glowing, and sparks would be shooting out. The poor ol’ girl needs a rest already - after the fiascos with Michael Beasley, South Alabama, the contract extension, and about a dozen other incidents over the past couple years.

Recruiting looks back on track (knock-on-wood. Every time I think that, I get zonked on the head unexpectedly). It’s not nearly as desperate as it was when there would be 5-6 open schollies every year due to all the 2-year players.

We’ll have 2 power forwards leaving and 2 open scholarships (knock-on-wood). With 2 scholarships, you can afford to be selective and it seems like we went after most of the good ones very early. Only 9 of the Top 20 Power Forwards list are still open (verbals: Chapel Hill (3), Duke, Clemson, UCLA, Florida, Tennesse, Louisville, Kansas State, Baylor) and we’re chasing most of the ones that aren’t from California: Mouptaou Tarou, Dante Taylor, Ryan Kelly, and Karron Johnson. David Chadwick is also being pursued. It’s not that long since we were a 8-9 seed in the NCAA Tournament, or even a 5-seed. Might as well recruit like it again. And if worse comes to worse, we’ll still have Shamari Spears available next year.

The next recruiting year will include JT Terrell & Isaiah Goldwire. Terrell has already blown up and is considered college basketball’s next great shooting guard (why not join Charlotte’s offense?) At 6’5", Isaiah is already inches taller than Leemire and cousin Anthony Goldwire and can play forward and rebound. Oh, I heard he can also shoot from long range, too. And it looks like we’re even on the 2011 recruiting trail according to rivals this morning.

So the only question is … what will it be this time? Even though it is an inanimate object, I swear that the ‘Drama-O-Meter’ is looking around in the basement with paranoid eyes.

i couldnt agree more. would you guys rather get an early committment or a good one. id rather wait it out and get the players that we want. you can also add lakeem jackson, cj harris, khris middelton to that list of guys we are recruiting.

I’d rather get an early good commitment, like other schools, even in the A-10, do. Alls well that ends well, of course, but it would prevent a lot of anxiety if we could get some good early commitments.

how many teams in the a-10 get good early committments. xavier…? id rather deal with the anxiety and get the guys we want rather than just some two star player.