A-10 is looking bad this year

have any of you checked the RPI situation in the A-10 this year. OUCH!!!

A-10 RPI

They could really be a one bid league this year. That is not good.

OUCH!!!

:hammer:

If we stay in the A-10 we have to push for major league upgrades or make sure they dump the dead weight.

No way are they 16th with C-USA 10th. Try another ratings page like Ken Pomeroy, 9th vs. 13th and the A-10’s SOS is #1.

In three to five years we will be in a much better conference situation whether the A-10 cuts the bottom four or there is a total new league with teams from the Big East. The new Big East won’t be around long because there are to many teams.

[i]Originally posted by minerniner[/i]@Feb 1 2005, 09:42 PM [b] have any of you checked the RPI situation in the A-10 this year. OUCH!!!

A-10 RPI

They could really be a one bid league this year. That is not good.

OUCH!!!

:hammer:

If we stay in the A-10 we have to push for major league upgrades or make sure they dump the dead weight. [/b]

A-10 looks bad every year, with the exception of last year. I still can’t belive we are going to this crapy conference…TERRIBLE! :sad:

We are lucky to be going to the A-10.

The Niners are going to go and save the A 10…we are already the class of the conference going into next season.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Feb 1 2005, 10:02 PM [b] No way are they 16th with C-USA 10th. Try another ratings page like [url=http://www.kenpom.com/conf.php?c=A10][b]Ken Pomeroy[/b][/url], 9th vs. 13th and the A-10's SOS is #1. [/b]
Whether 13th or 16th it's probably a one-bid league. And SOS only matters if you beat a few of those teams.

Mike, my point on the SOS was that they were getting the opportunity to play big-names as had been discussed in another thread. A-10’s SOS regardless is first, while Conference USA ranked 13th. It showed in their records too, CUSA winning 65% of their OOC games compared to the A-10’s 41%.

Atlantic 10 teams have played this season:
Dayton – Cincinnati, DePaul, Saint Louis, Vanderbilt
Dusquene – Boston College, Pittsburgh, Santa Clara, West Virginia
Fordham – Boston University, Villanova
George Washington – Maryland, Michigan State, Wake Forest, West Virginia
LaSalle – Cincinnati, Southern California, Villanova
Massachusetts – Boston College, Boston University, Connecticut, Florida State, Gonzaga, Miami
Rhode Island – Boston University, DePaul, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall
Richmond – Alabama Birmingham, Arizona, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, South Florida, Virginia, Wake Forest
Saint Bonaventure – Syracuse, West Virginia
Saint Joseph’s – Kansas, Ohio State
Temple – Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Duke, Georgetown, Maryland, South Carolina, Villanova, Wake Forest
Xavier – Cincinnati, Creighton, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Tennessee

Will Charlotte get to play some of these type teams in the future because of A-10 affiliation, or will the 49ers be left with the OOC teams they’re playing now?

[SIZE=2]WEAR GREEN[/SIZE]

This is a freshman laden league. Next year it should take over CUSA’s 7th RPI. That is, as long as the West Coast and Missouri Valley go back down. A10 will be bbetter than C USA next year.

I agree, I think the league gets better next year. It is young. But note the 4 or 5 bottom feeders. They are really, really bad. I think if this league shrunk to 9 teams we’d have something but those 4 or 5 at the bottom drag the whole league down.

Yeah. we’re all really young up here. UMass is starting 4 sophmores and we still beat UConn. :smiley: There is a lot of pairity in this league. Next year I feel we’ll get 6-8 post easson bids

Yes, the A-10 is going through a youth movement this season. If GW can right the ship, then I expect the league to get a couple of NCAA bids this season. Right now, I’d say Temple or St. Joe’s gets the other bid. After that, the A-10 should see a number of teams in the NIT - Dayton, Richmond, UMass, Xavier, and either St. Joe’s or Temple.

Speaking of the so-called bottom-feeders, Fordham seems to be coming along nicely under Dereck Whittenburg. He’s got a couple of gems in freshmen in F Bryant Dunston and G Marcus Stout. Maybe the Rams can finally put the Bob Hill “experiment” behind them.

One way or another, I see GW and Temple in the tournament this year. GW’s got a couple of solid wins from early in the year, and Temple’s as tough as they come. Richmond is inconsistent. They lost to VCU this year.

In regard to Charlotte’s scheduling after joining the league, I think you already know the answer to that question.

[i]Originally posted by fotee9er[/i]@Feb 1 2005, 10:04 PM [b] In three to five years we will be in a much better conference situation whether the A-10 cuts the bottom four or there is a total new league with teams from the Big East. The new Big East won't be around long because there are to many teams. [/b]
I agree. And I don't look forward to home games with Duquesne, LaSalle, Fordham or St Bonaventure at all. Our attendance will take a hit. When everything realigns again, I'd like to see us get in a league with old rivals ODU and VCU. I understand they ain't happy about some of the teams in their league either.

We just need to put together a league with some A-10 teams, former rivals and teams that have regional appeal that will help attendance. And most importantly, teams that don’t play football. I’m tired of football schools controlling things. Finally, KEEP IT TO SMALL!!! (8 or 9 teams max) I’d suggest:

Charlotte
Virginia Commonwealth
Old Dominion
Charleston
UNCW
George Washington
George Mason
St Joe’s

ADVANTAGES: 1) This conference would have a top 10 RPI every single year 2) a limited amount of travel 3) tournament could be held within driving distance.

Zone, I respectfully disagree. The A-10 is pretty solid with the exceptions of Duquesne and LaSalle. The former hasn’t made any improvement under Danny Nee and the latter, which probably would have been NIT-bound (at least) this season with “Mr. Everything” F Steven Smith, suffered mightily with the rape scandal that resulted in the loss of 3 players and coach Billy Hahn.

Fordham has really improved this season with the additions of frosh F Bryant Dunston and G Marcus Stout. Unfortunately, St. Bona may never recover from “Welder-Gate”, which is too bad for a school with the hoops tradition that the Bonnies have.

By joining the Colonial instead of the A-10, we could have accomplished most of what you have proposed in a conference. We can do better than that.

run49er, I agree with you that we don’t need to join the Colonial and I do think that the A-10 is currently our best option. Staying in C-USA would have been a mistake. By adding the football schools that we did, the league was bound to change. I’m just sick of football driving the train. (please don’t anyone start a FB discussion on this thread)

I’m actually suggesting we get with the schools mentioned and form a new league. With schools we actually have something in common with and w/o football.

we will run throught the a-10 next year but wont get as many "at large bids"
so better have a great year

[i]Originally posted by 49erkiger[/i]@Feb 3 2005, 02:15 PM [b] we will run throught the a-10 next year but wont get as many "at large bids" so better have a great year [/b]
As many as which conference, C-USA? They'll be thankful for their automatic bid.

[SIZE=2]WEAR GREEN[/SIZE]

[i]Originally posted by HP49er+Feb 3 2005, 03:17 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (HP49er @ Feb 3 2005, 03:17 PM)

While I think we will have a successful debut in the A-10, I think all this talk of running the table, etc., is a little premature. I’m going to wait until I see the schedule until I make any predictions.

GO NINERS!