A-10 recruiting

From the A-10 website…

Atlantic10.org: Men’s Basketball Signees

BTW, you’d think they could spell Ian Andersen’s name right! :rolleyes:

The A10 will be better next year, not necessarily because the top 5 teams might be nationally ranked but because the bottom 5 teams, will win at least 12 games. Plus, UMass, Xavier, Charlotte, GW, and Saint Louis all have the possibility of winning 20 games. LaSalle, Fordham, and Rhode Island keep getting significantly better!

St. Louis and Richmond will be difficult games

I like our recruiting at this point over anyone else in our conference.

Judging by those stats… It looks like we pulled in the best recruit in the A-10 this season in David Booker… 27 ppg and 12 rpg DAMN!

St. Joe’s made a nice pickup with the transfer of Abdulai Jalloh:

[b]Williamson to grab St. Joe's opportunity[/b]

By DICK JERARDI
jerardd@phillynews.com
The Philadelphia News
June 12, 2006

In life, timing really is everything. Garrett Williamson had interest in Saint Joseph’s for a while. St. Joe’s liked the Lower Merion High senior as well. They just did not have any scholarships. Well, they got one when leading scorer Abdulai Jalloh decided to transfer. This afternoon at the Lower Merion gym, Williamson, a 6-4 swingman, will announce that he is committing to St. Joe’s.

The last time St. Joe’s got a player whose last high-school game was a victory in the PIAA AAAA state championship game, that went rather well. In 2000, it was Chester’s Jameer Nelson. This year, it is Lower Merion’s Williamson.

The Aces beat Chester in a classic Eastern Final at the Palestra, 70-65. Then, they upset powerful Schenley High in the state championship game, 60-58. Williamson had 18 points against Chester and 14 against Schenley.

In his final two seasons for coach Gregg Downer, Williamson’s team went 53-15. Lower Merion lost to Chester in the 2005 state title game. Now, Williamson will be playing with the star of those Chester teams, point guard Darrin Govens.

Point guard Jawan Carter, shooting guard D.J. Rivera and forward Rockwell Moody also signed with St. Joe’s. Swingman Tasheed Carr transferred from Iowa State and will be eligible to play in the 2007-08 season.

Link: Philly.com

Xavier picks up a pretty decent transfer for the 2007-08 season:

[b]Xavier picks up '07 recruit Winton Woods grad transfers[/b]

BY DUSTIN DOW
Cincinnati Enquirer
June 13, 2006

Jimmy Patsos knows an elite college basketball player when he sees one. The Loyola (Md.) College coach assisted for 13 seasons at Maryland, in one of the sport’s most prestigious leagues, the Atlantic Coast Conference.

So Patsos was always surprised that Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference rival Manhattan University had a player of C.J. Anderson’s caliber on its roster.

Anderson, however, will soon be a problem for Atlantic 10 Conference coaches. The 6 foot 6 swingman confirmed Monday that he planned to transfer to Xavier from Manhattan.

His presence on XU’s roster for 2007-08 is the most telling indication yet that Xavier could successfully fill the production voids left when seniors Justin Doellman and Justin Cage depart following the upcoming season.

“I thought he was an ACC player,” Patsos said. “I’m sad to see him go from our league, but happy because he presented us so many mismatches. He really does a little bit of everything. He’s quite a player.”

Anderson will have two years of eligibility after sitting out this season because of NCAA transfer rules. He will arrive on XU’s campus to take classes in July. A former Winton Woods and Laurinburg (N.C.) Prep high school player, Anderson is expected to be one of Xavier’s top scoring and rebounding contributors once he’s eligible.

“He’s just a dominant player,” Patsos said. “Now, the A-10 is one level up from the MAAC. So he’s going to have to adjust to being the three man where guys are his size. We’d have to put a three or four man on him. He’s the reason we lost by 20 to Manhattan.”

Anderson was named the best freshman in the MAAC at Manhattan after averaging 16.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in 2003-04.

But the next season, Anderson struggled academically, and was ineligible for the final 15 games of the season. Until then, Anderson had been the Jaspers’ best player, averaging 18.8 points and 9.4 rebounds.

Manhattan coach Bobby Gonzalez took off for Seton Hall after the season, leaving Anderson to conclude that perhaps it was time to play elsewhere. Plus, his mom, Patricia Kelley, had only been able to watch him play twice over two seasons since he was in New York.

“When I first decided I was going to transfer, I knew it was going to be to a place close to home,” Anderson said.

“I knew Cincinnati wouldn’t be a good choice because of their situation. So Xavier was the No. 1 choice from day one once coach Gonzalez left.”

All that was left for Anderson to do was raise his academic profile to meet Xavier’s admission standards, which he did in his final period at Manhattan. He will take the scholarship at XU left vacant by the departure of Boubacar Coly. Coly, who has one year of eligibility remaining, has graduated and can transfer to another Division I school without sitting out a season.

Link: Enquirer.com