A-10 Teams I had never heard of...

A-10 Teams I had never heard of before joining the A-10

St. Josephs
St. Bona
Dayton
La Salle
Fordham (had heard of the school, didnt know they had basketball)
Duquene (Might of heard of them)
Hadnt heard much of Richmond or Rodhy either.

I find it hard to believe that anyone who follows college basketball has never heard of some of the teams in our league.

bona
dukane
fordham

and yes I have followed college basketball A LOT.

I transferred froma school up north…we used to play Bona in hockey every year. One year, my buddy (a defenceman) scored a goal and proceeded to do the Dirty Bird on his skates. Everyone started fighting and he leveled their goalie. As they proceeded with ejections, one of the Bona players smacked the glass with his stick…and shattered a section.

That’s the only reason I had ever heard of St Bonaventure.

Sorry, that’s off-topic a little…

I had not heard of Fordham, though…until the A10…

I find it hard to believe that anyone breathing (over the age of 12) hasn’t atleast heard of all these schools?..What planet are you people from?

:hammer:

Dayton and St Bonaventure

When it came to basketball…

Duquesne, La Salle, and Fordham. All the others I at least knew something about. Not knowing about St. Joe’s would be weird considering the season they had not too long ago.

We had a home and home with Bonnie during the Rodney White era.
We played Duquesne in the NIT about 10 years ago.
If you hadn’t heard about St. Joe’s, you didn’t follow basketball. They went through the regular season undefeated 3 years ago.

Tintin

We also played Duquesne several times in one of those preseason tourneys, I think. Bona was a real thorn in our side those times we played them if I remember right, it’s sad to see them struggling so much now. I’ll admit I didn’t know much about Fordham though.

WOW !

I’m surprised by some of the comments here…but maybe it just reinforces how old I am.

I had heard of all of the schools…but I will admit that I’d never seen St. Bonaventure OR Dequesne actually play (live or on TV) basketball before.

[QUOTE=ninerID;235619]bona
dukane
fordham

and yes I have followed college basketball A LOT.[/QUOTE]

Watching Duke games dont count :wink:

Does anybody remember, without looking, who the first team on the schedule was in 2000-2001? That was Rodney, Demon, and Cam’s first game as a Niner. The next game is the one everyone remembers, but we trounced this team first.

[QUOTE=X-49er;235644]Does anybody remember, without looking, who the first team on the schedule was in 2000-2001?[/QUOTE]
Yep, I missed attending because the cardiologist would not give me clearance to ride to Raliegh after the heart attack. The second game was the legendary butt-kicking of the Wolfdogs, the first was against the [B]Rams[/B] (no, not the ones from UNC-Chapel Hill).

X, I’ll let someone else figure out which team has that mascot.

Yep, I missed attending because the cardiologist would not give me clearance to ride to Raliegh after the heart attack. The second game was the legendary butt-kicking of the Wolfdogs, the first was against the [B]Rams[/B] (no, not the ones from UNC-Chapel Hill).

X, I’ll let someone else figure out which team has that mascot.

Yep. I was there. How about exactly two games later. :hammer:

[QUOTE=NinerLoudNProud;235657]How about exactly two games later. :hammer:[/QUOTE]

I had to look that one up, and I see why now. Still trying to block that one from my memory.

[QUOTE=Gill2003;235617]A-10 Teams I had never heard of before joining the A-10

St. Josephs
St. Bona
Dayton
La Salle
Fordham (had heard of the school, didnt know they had basketball)
Duquene (Might of heard of them)
Hadnt heard much of Richmond or Rodhy either.[/QUOTE]

St. Joes? - Kind of hard not to hear of them after the Nelson/West era, one of the teams I had heard the most about before us joining the A-10.

St. Bona- Okay I maybe give you this one, but I remember them from their teams in the NCAA Tournament not too long ago.

Dayton- Kind of hard not to hear of them either. NCAA tournament games held there almost every year, plus Prunell (coach at Clemson) coached there. Plus they have been in the NCAA Tournament good bit.

La Salle- Okay I’ll give you that one, I hadn’t heard much of them either prior to joining the A-10. Only reason I had heard of them prior to us joining is because of the Big 5 Philly matchups.

Duquesne- I’ll give you that one, I hadn’t heard or payed too much attention to them either prior to us joining the A-10.

Richmond- Heard a good bit about them, they have had success in past years and had some coaches come out of there.

Fordham- another team that I’ll give to you because they haven’t had too much success of late. Other then them being in NYC and playing in the oldest arena in CBB I can see why you haven’t heard of them.

Rhody?- Kind of hard not to hear about them considering we beat them in 99 in the 1st round when they were a 12 seed. They were talked about a lot nationally when Lamar Odom was there.

St. Joes was ranked #1 in the nation most of the 04/05 season.
It’s hard to believe some of what I am reading. A10 teams are not obscure.

I’d never heard of Bonnie, Fordham, LaSalle, or Duquesne. The rest I’d heard of and I didn’t even watch basketball that much until 3 years ago.

Dayton’s Arena is the site of so many tourney games that I knew about them, and Temple, St. Joes, UMass & X have made their name known a few times, but St. Bonna, Fordham were new to me. And Duquesne… well, out of ignorance I pronounced their name phonetically for the first season just because I didn’t know any better. :biggrin:

not to sound like a know it all, but I’ve heard and known of all of them for sometime. Then again I’m from an area 30 mins from UR, and my family is all from up north, so it helps.

Some of the teams people have listed though, you guys call yourselves basketball fans?