A-10 Tip-Off

Good to get back out to the SAC tonight. For those that couldn’t make it, there was a really good crowd on hand and you missed out on some great food from Outback. :slight_smile:

Judy spoke a little bit about the move to the A-10 (nothing we haven’t really heard before). She commented that she knows some of us are worried about not having Cincinnati anymore but that Cincy doesn’t have a coach which got a good laugh.

The new chancellor spoke for a little while and joked around about playing golf with Bobby. He also said he’s a huge fan of the teams and will have to contain himself in the stands. Then Amanda spoke about the women’s team and introduced all the players, assistants/trainers.

Judy then introduced Bobby and spoke a little about his trip to Kuwait. Bobby talked a little bit about last year and also mentioned that we would be much improved this year on defense. He talked about how we averaged around 80 points a game in C-USA but that the teams in the A-10 averaged significantly less, but gave up a lot less on the other end than we did. He talked about how Preston has really increased the strength of the team and that it’s the strongest team we’ve had since Bobby coached here. He then introduced all the players, from freshmen to seniors with Curt being last of course. And he touched on attendance some and how victories equate to sellouts.

I’m sure others can elaborate but it was a pretty quick and to the point evening. Majority of the time was used by introducing all the men’s and women’s squads and providing a little background info on each of them. The coaches and players were all really friendly and interactive with those in attendance. Kind of humbling standing next to Nance and some of those guys in terms of their size…lol

Good to see some of you from the board as well. Being there definitely got me in the mood for some roundball.

JCL summed it up pretty well. A lot of good food, some good talks by the coaches and that’s about it. Dale Halton was in attendance along with everyone involved with the basketball programs. Judy mentioned that moving the basketball Madness back to 7 PM is an attempt to get everybody at the dinner to the madness event. She said it had become almost all students when it was at midnight, hopes to get some alumni out next week.

$15 for all the Outback steak, chicken, shrimp and salad you can eat, pretty good deal. Also free schedule magnets for everybody!

Also, heard there was a top 25 list for the new student ticket point system, it’s not on the site yet, I guess it will be updated in the new few days. Heard rave reviews about what the system is doing for the other sports, hopefully it will work out as well for basketball.

After reading your post, I went to the ticketing site on charlotte49ers.com and there is a link for Niner Nation Student Tickets, and it had a top 25 list. I am not a student so I can’t see what is or isn’t on the ticketreturn site (at least I assume I cannot get points so I never tried to sign up).

Would have liked to attend the tip off event but had to work.

[i]Originally posted by Brick Tamland[/i]@ Weather,Oct 13 2005, 11:39 PM [b]After reading your post, I went to the ticketing site on charlotte49ers.com and there is a link for Niner Nation Student Tickets, and it had a top 25 list. I am not a student so I can't see what is or isn't on the ticketreturn site (at least I assume I cannot get points so I never tried to sign up).

Would have liked to attend the tip off event but had to work.[/b]

I just found it as well, came back to post it…i’ll start a new thread so as not to make this one go way off topic.

I hate I couldn’t make it to this event. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124[/i]@Oct 13 2005, 10:19 PM [b] Judy mentioned that moving the basketball Madness back to 7 PM is an attempt to get everybody at the dinner to the madness event. She said it had become almost all students when it was at midnight, hopes to get some alumni out next week.

[/b]

[b]Gates to Halton Arena will open at 8:45pm. Admission to the UNC Charlotte Bookstore 49ers Basketball Madness is FREE. [/b]

Website still says 9:00 for the start time of Basketball madness next Thursday.

Lefty, I wonder if Judy said 7:00PM because that’s when teams can officially begin practice tonight. Hmmm…

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Oct 14 2005, 05:40 PM [b]Website still says 9:00 for the start time of Basketball madness next Thursday.[/b]
Yea, it's 9:00, the festivities start at 7 in the lobby area of the SAC, so that is what time I had heard. There will be a radio station and other stuff out there at 7, the actual madness doesn't start until 9. I'm not sure what Judy actually said, she might not have said a time, just saying that it was moved up and hopes the alumni show up.

How come YouCon got to start yesterday? Here’s the story.

Hartford Courant

[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft[/i]@Oct 15 2005, 06:07 PM [b]How come YouCon got to start yesterday? Here's the story.

Hartford Courant[/b]

Everybody got to start yesterday, most schools had their Midnight Madness last night. Our team got to start practice the same time, we just moved our madness event back to next week for whatever reason.