A-10

If we were in the a-10 this year, does anyone believe we could pull a st joes and run the table? That is one advantage, if we can keep recruiting up, to the same level it has been, we could possibly dominate that leauge every year.

We could, potentially, be better and deeper next year if Withers stays (each time I see Iti play, the less I care about how many more games he will play as a 49er). I haven’t kept up with the A10 very well so I don’t know how the teams are looking for next year, but if Withers stays we shouldn’t lose more than 3/4 A10 games next year. OF course if he’s gone, we become a good, not great team in that conference. It’s all up to #3

And yes, if we keep up the recruiting we will be a yearly contender for the A10 title. But if we keep up the recruiting, and perform in the NCAA Tourny, we(along with the other really solid teams they have such as GW, Xavier, St. Joe’s) will raise the overall profile of the conference and start gaining more respect and bring in more talent. I’d much rather see us help bring the whole conference up a few notches and get some more NCAA bids for the A10 than be the team that dominates an average conference for years.

i dont care if iti leaves or stays.

if withers comes back, next year we will have a front line of coleman/nance/withers/drayton/mullis/possibly iti

that is BEASTLY

[i]Originally posted by Chisox17[/i]@Nov 11 2004, 02:29 AM [b] i dont care if iti leaves or stays.

if withers comes back, next year we will have a front line of coleman/nance/withers/drayton/mullis/possibly iti

that is BEASTLY [/b]

and a pretty good backcourt to go with the frontcourt

[i]Originally posted by LakeNorman49er+Nov 11 2004, 08:27 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LakeNorman49er @ Nov 11 2004, 08:27 AM)

I think you are all wrong on Iti. He would be a key piece for our team in the A-10 next year.

[i]Originally posted by minerniner[/i]@Nov 11 2004, 09:17 AM [b] I think you are all wrong on Iti. He would be a key piece for our team in the A-10 next year. [/b]
I agree with you. Iti will help us this year and can develop into a very good college player if he stays for his final 2 years. Did anyone see Stephen Hunter last night for the Suns? He was dominant on both ends of the court in stretches. He was a lot like Iti when he was at Depaul...from what I remember.

HAte to burst the bubble, but guards win in college. Nelson and West were the best back court in the nation and that allowed St. Joes to go undefeated. They controlled games and wouldn’t let them lose. Unfortunetely our guards are no where near that level. How many of our guards do you see playing in the NBA??
Our guards will be the key to our success this season, if Mitchell and Plav play steady and consistant we can go 23-4. If they are inconsistant as the have been in the past, we could be looking at 19-8. I don’t care if Curtis averages 25 and 12, without solid consistant guard play we are not going to have the kind of season we all are hoping for and undefeated in the A-10 is a pipe dream.

I disagree you need solid guards but big men win, look at carmello, Okafor, the dominant players on the last 2 championship teams. St joes went undefeated but couldn’t make the final four.

So, let me recount the last 45 seconds of the Saint Joseph’s-Oklahoma State game in the East Rutherford final. 5-11 OSU guard John Lucas hits a jumper with 41 seconds to go to give the Cowboys a 61-59 lead. Then 6-5 guard/forward Pat Carroll of SJU hits a 3-pointer with 29 seconds to go to give the Hawks a 62-61 lead. Lucas comes back down, hits a 3-pointer with 6 seconds to go and the Cowboys regain the lead, 64-62. On the final play of the game, 6-0 SJU guard Jameer Nelson’s shot bounces off the rim and Oklahoma State heads to the Final Four. So Saint Joe’s didn’t miss by much (and ditto for Xavier against Duke).

I agree, you need some solid big men to get it all done and win the NC, but guards are critical.

I think front courts are the difference - although I do feel guards are important. You have to have good big men. Why did we have are first losing season in a long time a couple of years ago (02-03)? No experienced big men (didn’t have much of anything really - but the glaring shortcoming was big men). Why did we only win 18 games in 01-02? we had good guard play and one of the nations best three point shooters in Jobey. We did not have a good front court. (I loved Cam but he couldn’t do it by himself). If we had one more strong front court player in 01-02 we would have been a much better team.

This year we seem to have the balance we have been talking about for several years now. If we stay healthy we can go a long way.

When Plav leaves, I will miss the days of consistently having one of the best three point shooters in the nation. However, I will not miss living and dying by the trey.

If Baldwin can run the point like I think he can and the freshmen can spell him without giving the game away, this could be a fantastic year.

Baldwin “the fastest man on earth with a basketball” will burn them in transition and when we have to play half-court, they can pick their poison: our punishing big men inside or our sharpshooter outside.

Every game is going to be a horse race unless we play better D and hit the %&$#in’ FTs.