A racist remark?

[b][b]About five minutes into the second half, the senior left the game and was replaced by Niv Berkowitz, another shaggy-haired white guy.[/b] - Memphis Commercial Appeal, 1/14/05 [/b]
[url=http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/sports/article/0,1426,MCA_461_3470352,00.html]U of M Postgame[/url], Memphis Commercial Appeal

Tokenism?

Not only another shaggy-haired white guy, but an Israeli as well!

Seriously, HP, when I read the whole thing, it didn’t sound so bad.

[b]Memphis senior Anthony Rice, on his way to a career night, had to leave the game for good with 17:44 remaining because of a broken nose that was the result of a Diener elbow.

When he was hit, Rice immediately went down, but no foul was called unless, of course, you count the technical foul tagged to Simplice Njoya for defending his teammate. After that sequence, (Travis) Diener was booed every time he touched the ball, which led to a funny moment.

About five minutes into the second half, the senior left the game and was replaced by Niv Berkowitz, another shaggy-haired white guy.

Apparently, some of the crowd couldn’t tell the difference, because then Berkowitz was booed on every possession.[/b]

Berkowitz (left), Diener (right)

Let’s not act like the united niner nation of the offended.Leave that to the usual groups who scream racism so often they dilute their own “cause”.

HP, I didn’t watch the game, but sounds like it was pretty physical. From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

Things got chippy early in the second half, with Memphis’ Simplice Njoya picking up a technical foul after elbowing Diener in the midsection. That followed an elbow to Rice’s nose by Diener as the Golden Eagles senior rose for a three-pointer in front of MU’s bench, a shot he buried while Rice dropped to a knee with blood pouring from his nose.

JSOnline.com: Eagles throw it away

More Shaggys…

Over on the Memphis board they’re talking about Crean dropping f and s bombs and threatening a couple of guys in the crowd. This came from someone who was working on press row. :huh:

It was physical, Marquette looked in slo mo against Memphis in the first half. I’m sure Crean was saying something, he paced the entire game.

Actually run, I agree that the comment wasn’t so bad but I think the word could’ve been left out.

HP, I agree with ya on that one. If Gary Parrish had just written “another shaggy-haired guy”…

BTW, here’s Mr. Parrish, a spikey-haired white guy:

clt is outraged. this writer is a tomato.

I watched it. Marquette is very physical. I look forward to seeing Baldwin blow by Diener and Eddie and Curt to outplay any guy they’ve got. Memphis has some athletes but we just beat a better TEAM in UAB.

Actually, I’m on a committee at The Observer that’s looking at perceptions of bias – political, racial and otherwise – in the newspaper. One of the unfortunate things about our society is that people ARE easily offended and quick to yell bias. That perception, for that person, is more important than whatever “reality” the person who said or wrote the comment cites as the reason.
Can we eliminate that kind of language at The Observer? I don’t know. But we can raise awareness of it among our reporters and editors. We should be writing FOR people and not ABOUT people, especially when writing about people unlike us.
In this case, Gary Parrish, who’s a fine writer, probably slipped. If he wouldn’t have written “another afro-headed black guy,” he shouldn’t have written what he did most likely. The reason in a newspaper story to point something out is generally because it’s different. Was it relevant? If it wasn’t, leave it out. An example: If you identify a black man by race and then point out that he was well dressed, the implication is that you didn’t expect that.
Not that any of you probably care.
Signed,
Your Token Sports Editor

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 10:10 AM [b] Actually, I'm on a committee at The Observer that's looking at perceptions of bias -- political, racial and otherwise -- in the newspaper.

We should be writing FOR people and not ABOUT people, especially when writing about people unlike us.
[/b]

I think Tonya Jamison is a racist. I think your committee needs to review her writing. She is suppose to be a pop culture writer but all she talks about is race, race, race.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 10:10 AM [b] In this case, Gary Parrish, who's a fine writer, probably slipped. [/b]
Mike, I agree that Gary is a fine writer and that one slipped. Sorta like Coach Lutz's "white guy" comment on the radio recently.

BTW, I don’t think Tonya Jamison is a racist as much as she is obsessed with race. And partying! :stuck_out_tongue:

Tonya Jamison has a chip on her shoulder the size of Mt.Everest.Totally unreadable.