A10 & Seeding...

Listening to sports talk radio yesterday afternoon I heard a number of people complaining about the selection committee and its seeding. One of the biggest complains was Temple being a 5 seed.

The host made the following comments:

The A10 never gets any respect.

What does Xavier have to do to get respect, they win every year in the tournament?

Temple should be a 3 seed and they get a 5?

The A10 needs to hire a PR person.

I thought it was interesting that the A10 got so much play on the radio, which is why I think it is vital that we pick up the pace in that region, people respect the A10 there.

Doug Gottlieb was railing the committee on ESPN when he was doing his picks. He said Xavier, Richmond and temple were all disrespected and seeded too low.

hmm kind of suprised, from the times I’ve heard Gottlieb on air he’s always come off as a BCS homer… before the tourny came out he was pushing Virginia Tech over Utah St hard.

hmm kind of suprised, from the times I’ve heard Gottlieb on air he’s always come off as a BCS homer… before the tourny came out he was pushing Virginia Tech over Utah St hard.[/quote]

He has actually promoted the little guys a lot this year. It is Jimmy Dykes that has his head up the BCS’s ass.

The A-10 didn’t get the respect it deserved. Temple should have been a 3 seed, I didn’t understand making them a 5 seed, made no sense. Richmond is definently better then their seed as well.

From Stewart Mandel:

[b]Committee thumbs-up:[/b] There isn't one this year. While there were no gross bubble injustices (spare me the Wake Forest-Virginia Tech "debate" -- play someone before January next time, Hokies), this may be the worst job of seeding and balancing the bracket I've ever seen from a committee. So we might as well skip ahead to ...

Committee thumbs-down: We can agree to disagree whether Duke is a better team than Syracuse, or how Ohio State could have slipped to eighth on the S-curve. My biggest complaint is the lack of consistency. If how you end your season matters – as chairman Dan Guerrero indicated in regards to the Blue Devils’ ascension above the Orange – then how is Villanova still a No. 2 seed? How did West Virginia, which beat the Wildcats a week ago and then won the Big East tournament, draw a higher No. 1 seed (Kentucky)? Why did No. 6 seeds Notre Dame and Marquette get rewarded for one great stretch of late-season basketball while No. 5 seed Temple (10 straight wins) did not? FYI, the Owls (29-5) beat the Wildcats and have a higher RPI, yet check in three seeds lower. Just saying.

SI.com: Inside College Basketball - Bracket Breakdown

Richmond got double whammied and was pitted against St Mary’s, another school seeded low. Think this is the best game of the first round…but would prefer to have seen both of these go after BCS reject teams.

If A14 teams do well in the tournament, the league will get respect–until selection Sunday 2011 when the usual shafting will take place.

hmm kind of suprised, from the times I’ve heard Gottlieb on air he’s always come off as a BCS homer… before the tourny came out he was pushing Virginia Tech over Utah St hard.[/quote]

Gottlieb picked Richmond to go to the elite 8, xavier to s16, and temple to s16.

Richmond got double whammied and was pitted against St Mary’s, another school seeded low. Think this is the best game of the first round…but would prefer to have seen both of these go after BCS reject teams.[/quote]Most think they double-whammied Temple too, with Cornell a 12 seed. I’m not so high on Cornell, but I agree that they are probably at least a little higher than a 12.

Is the committee not only unimpressed with the A10, but also out to get us? (now where did I put that tinfoil…).

Gottlieb picked Richmond to go to the elite 8, xavier to s16, and temple to s16.[/quote]If that happens, it will go a long way in bringing national respect back to the conference and keeping the conference playing at a high level.

On the surface this sounds correct. But if you had a round robin betweeen the 5 seeds what would the respective records be?

Michigan St
Butler
Temple
Texas A&M

And what three seed would you move?
Georgetown
Pitt
New Mexico
Baylor

I would say Baylor on the three seed.

Well, the A-10 has had two teams in the Elite 8 recently (SJU/XU in the same year). Hasn’t helped us much as a conference.

Mullins Maniac, I would bump Pitt and Baylor down for Temple. I think Nova was seeded too high at 2 also. I’m sure MSU was seeded correctly, but they are not an impressive team to me and I expect them to flame out early. I may be wrong, but we’ll see soon enough.

On the surface this sounds correct. But if you had a round robin betweeen the 5 seeds what would the respective records be?

Michigan St
Butler
Temple
Texas A&M

And what three seed would you move?
Georgetown
Pitt
New Mexico
Baylor

I would say Baylor on the three seed.[/quote]I’m not sure what you’re trying to say because all you have to do is drop a 3 to a 4 while moving Temple to a 3.

Bilas picked Richmond as his cinderella to make the elite 8 from the south region…