Aiming for the Big East - Women's Sports

[LEFT][FONT=TimesNewRoman][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=2]http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ncch/genrel/auto_pdf/ChancellorsFootballStatemen.pdf[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=2]

To meet the institution’s obligations under Title IX of the 1972 Civil Right Act, the Committee recommended that the Athletic Department add three women’s sports over a period of six years beginning in 2012, most probably women’s lacrosse, field hockey, and swimming. The Committee estimated that the cost of supporting football and Title IX compliance would require approximately $7.7 million in 2012 and $11.5 million in 2016.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]
[LEFT][FONT=TimesNewRoman][FONT=TimesNewRoman][FONT=TimesNewRoman][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=2]
Second, my proposal would defer the implementation of the first Title IX sport – women’s lacrosse – until 2016. Field Hockey would follow in 2019 and swimming or another appropriate third sport in 2023. The General Counsel agrees with me that this approach will meet our obligations under Title IX.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=TimesNewRoman][FONT=TimesNewRoman][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=2]Why these sports? I know they do a lot for the Title IX requirements as far as numbers go, but there has to be more than just that. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[LEFT][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=2]I think the goal of where we want to be has a lot to do with it. If we are aiming for the Big East, football is crucial, but we will have to be good in other sports as well. If we were aiming for CUSA, swimming would be first as it is the only one of the 3 that is sponsered by CUSA, and potentially women’s golf would have been chosen.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=2]The Big East has Women’s Lacrosse, Women’s Field Hockey, and Swimming. It also has women’s golf and Rowing, to open the door for the other sports.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=2]Not saying that the Big East is where we are going, just I think we are trying to make ourselves an acceptable applicant in the future. The scary part is that the A10 plays Lacrosse and Field Hockey, so I hope we aren’t intending to stay in put.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=TimesNewRoman][SIZE=2]Thoughts?[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I agree. The school has shown more forsight in the last few weeks than it has since Bonnie Cone was running the place. :clap:

[QUOTE=ninerID;345697]Why these sports?[/QUOTE]
They are all sports sponsored by the A-10.

They are all sports sponsored by the A-10.
and football isn't

[QUOTE=ninerID;345703]and football isn’t[/QUOTE]

Yes, too bad the A-10 “sold” football to the Colonial. As Dubois pointed out, the transition to FBS most likely won’t happen under his watch. As such, when these new women’s sports come online, they will be in line with Atlantic 10 offerings. I suspect our first years on the gridiron will be as a football-only member of the Big South.

Yes, too bad the A-10 "sold" football to the Colonial. As Dubois pointed out, the transition to FBS most likely won't happen under his watch. As such, when these new women's sports come online, they will be in line with Atlantic 10 offerings. I suspect our first years on the gridiron will be as a football-only member of the Big South.
we'll be 3 years into football before the first women's sport.

I imagine we aren’t having a half a 100 million dollar capital campaign, and doubling our budget to stay in the A10.

[QUOTE=ninerID;345708]we’ll be 3 years into football before the first women’s sport.

I imagine we aren’t having a half a million dollar capital campaign, and doubling our budget to stay in the A10.[/QUOTE]

I’m just saying that while we’re playing football as the FCS level, we will probably remain a member of the A-10. Now, moving to the FBS level will certainly require a re-evaluation of our conference affiliation.

my conspiracy theory bump for the weekday crew.

As Run said, they’re all sponsored by the A-10. Dubois is likely covering his bases. The last thing you would want to do is give a huge hint that you’re going to split the A10 ASAP. They may know it, but that doesn’t mean you confirm it. Those 3 sports would suffice for multiple conferences, and many schools play in varying conferences in smaller sports. I think he is also looking at the ease of start-up costs (other than swimming).

From the sports perspective, Lax is becoming more popular in the south and will continue to see a rise in popularity, IMO. Being in the South, swimming just seems like a logical choice and could easily be built within the football complex (fieldhouse) or an addition to it. Field Hockey is a fairly easy sport to fund. It pretty much uses the same amenities as soccer, but with a stick and smaller goal.

Golf can be problematic b/c you have to afford tee times not just for games, but for practices. While there is an abundance courses in the area, how many would be on par for what the school would want to use. I just do not see rowing occuring. I may be wrong, but what schools in this area have that for women? I can’t think of any.

In the end I’d actually prefer golf over lax. No offense to the game, it seems like fun, but I think you’d have an easier time finding more regional opponents when starting the program.

I dunno, I think its more forward thinking than anything else.

Assuming we don’t add any sports other then those listed before 2023, Sorry CharLax16, then we will have 18 sports. That’s BCS level people!

[U][I]Men’s Sports[/I][/U]

Baseball
Basketball
Cross Country
[B]FOOTBALL[/B]
Golf
Soccer
Tennis
Track and Field

[U][I]Women’s Sports[/I][/U]

Basketball
Cross Country
[B]FIELD HOCKEY[/B]
[B]LACROSSE[/B]
Soccer
Softball
[B]SWIMMING[/B]
Tennis
Track and Field
Volleyball

When we joing the BE, USF will be our bee-atches again.

You do realize that Charlotte is one of the three main places that world class swimmers train (Austin and Ann Arbor the others). The old Auburn swim coach started a training center in Charlotte. Why we do not have swimming boggles me.

[QUOTE=shagg49er;346660]You do realize that Charlotte is one of the three main places that world class swimmers train (Austin and Ann Arbor the others). The old Auburn swim coach started a training center in Charlotte. Why we do not have swimming boggles me.[/QUOTE]

Money

The Meck Aquatic Center is great. While I would love a world class Natatorium on campus we would be better served to find a way to use MAC. Scheduling is the main problem with using the MAC.

Assuming we don't add any sports other then those listed before 2023, Sorry CharLax16, then we will have 18 sports. That's BCS level people!

Men’s Sports

Baseball
Basketball
Cross Country
FOOTBALL
Golf
Soccer
Tennis
Track and Field

Women’s Sports

Basketball
Cross Country
FIELD HOCKEY
LACROSSE
Soccer
Softball
SWIMMING
Tennis
Track and Field
Volleyball

I know now that there is no chance of Charlotte fielding a Men’s team within the next 1.5-2 decades, butIf we join the Big East, it sets up nicely. They are adding Men’s Lax in 2010, if I am not mistaken

I know now that there is no chance of Charlotte fielding a Men's team within the next 1.5-2 decades, butIf we join the Big East, it sets up nicely. They are adding Men's Lax in 2010, if I am not mistaken

I think your eligibility will be out by then.

I think your eligibility will be out by then.
Coaching, my friend. Hopefully I will be coaching after I graduate/use up my last 3 years.

Swimming needs to make a return to UNCC. Charlotte has all the recruits already in the city! This is a great town for swimming. MAC is home to several Olympic gold medalist.

Crystal Ball…

Every new sport Charlotte is adding, is already sponsored by the CAA. And every sport Charlotte already has, is currently sponsored by the CAA.

Right now, the CAA has 6 of the Top 18 ranked FCS programs in the country. Including # 1 James Madison. Which puts the CAA light years ahead of the SoCon or Big South.

The CAA is already in Atlanta, Norfolk/Va. Beach, Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York, and Boston. Charlotte would fit perfectly.

My Crystal Ball says…Charlotte will end up in the CAA.

Right now, the CAA has 6 of the Top 18 ranked FCS programs in the country. Including # 1 James Madison. Which puts the CAA light years ahead of the SoCon or Big South.

The CAA is already in Atlanta, Norfolk/Va. Beach, Richmond, DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York, and Boston. Charlotte would fit perfectly.

My Crystal Ball says…Charlotte will end up in the CAA.

Why would e want to take a step backward into the CAA, unless it is football only?

Besides… Haven’t you heard? We’re heading to the Big East.