Alex Highsmith Named to Pre-Season Watch List

He was named by the Maxwell Club to the watch list for the Bednarik Award which goes to the countries best defensive college football player.

https://www.maxwellfootballclub.org/2019-bednarik-award-watch-list/

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Cool dash in the name.

You always have to want to get to the quarterback,” Highsmith said. “I’ve been doing some dropping back in coverage the past two seasons but I think this year I’m going to focus almost all my attention on trying to get into the backfield.”

clt hates the zone blitz

1 Like

I feel like Ogunjobi’s success proves that you can come into college with few offers, and no excitement, yet end up starting in the NFL. This seems to have motivated Highsmith and a few others to shoot for the stars. Good luck Alex!

3 Likes

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article233783377.html

1 Like

clt says this is a story to tell about how we develop players. Walk on to nfl

1 Like

Will be an AWESOME story AFTER he makes it into the nfl.

2 Likes

So far he’s exceeding the considerable preseason hype.

Hidden Gems Sleepers Defensive Line Edition (Scouting Notes)

2020 NFL Draft Prospects By, Matt Anzio

• DE/ OLB Alex Highsmith
  • UNC Charlotte
  • Height: 6’ 3
  • Weight: 245 Lbs

After UNC Charlotte Produced 2 Outstanding Edge Prospects in 2019.

Highsmith might be not only DE/ edge prospect but another defensive talent to emerge from this up & coming program

The 2018 All-Conference – USA & holds the record for 17.5 TFL also last season. First Team All-Conference USA by PFF a 2nd Team Phil Steele team player.

Really think his best bet is to go more of the DE route when you look at his stature. His 6 foot 3 frame can support another 25 pounds of muscle without question. Highsmith fits the role well but if he did stand in a 34 could be productive too.

As true DE is a need going to evaluate him as a potential traditional DL edge candidate. Highsmith is about as natural mover as you could ask for in a pass rusher/ edge. Strong rapid moving hands and arms with a violent shift punch. Super fast in structure spacial closer with the read & reaction skills. That will serve both standing or with his hand in the dirt.

Has the stature to become a true DE with minimal strength & conditioning. Sky’s the limit for him as he has more than enough burst to not only be a 34 LB but even a 43. That is amazing considering your dealing with a strong physical QB hunter to go with his jets.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Where is he now post Clemson and FAU?

clt says we haven’t played fiu yet. Are you time traveling again?

Way to go Alex! Go NINERS!

1 Like