All Middle Ages Team

This is for the older folks on NNN. I’m asking this because I don’t really know, but I was wondering who the best players were during the dark ages of Niner basketball, mainly because I’m afraid we’re starting to re-enter one now.

So, HPs and Over40s of the board, give me some solid players from that era. The only rule is that they had to play at least part of their careers between 1979 and 1986.

a couple off the top of my head.

PG- Keith Williams

Forward - Melvin Johnson

Forward - Clinton Hinton

• believe he was Sun Belt Freshman of the Year, but ended up in some kind of academic trouble and then ultimately at Oral Roberts Univ.

Forward - Leroy Smith, played HS school ball with Michael Jordan IIRC, played here for a few years. decent but not great. I’d list him as a bench player though on an all middle ages team.

UNCCTF, that’s too much brain stimulation for me.

my good friend Ben Basinger, 1975ish. Had 23 rebs in one game, still holds record with Corn.

[QUOTE=metro;366419]my good friend Ben Basinger, [B]1975ish[/B]. Had 23 rebs in one game, still holds record with Corn.[/QUOTE]
Read the directions, Tex. :smile:

Melvin Johnson
Bobby Potts
Phil Ward

Keith Williams, Mike Milling, Clinton Hinton

Melvin Johnson, Bobby Potts and Phil Ward are the only three that come to mind for that time. Irvin Williamson was a fun guy to be around and Leroy Smith was one of the wittiest players. He came in as I was leaving school. I only got to be around him for a week during camp but we visited when I’d come down for games.

Smith was from Wilmington and all the staff from basketball camp went down to the pool one day during break for a game of water basketball. What wasn’t known at the time was that Leroy was unable to swim so if you floated around in the 5-6 foot water, he wouldn’t guard you. Water was a great equalizer for me since I swam well, I was able to hang with the “players.” Leroy took lessons, learned to swim and proudly told me so.

Byron Dinkins came in at the end of that period but I won’t include him here.

Here’s my list of “best 5” from the Pratt and Wissel eras:

Bobby Potts
Phil Ward
Melvin Johnson
Keith Williams
Clinton Hinton

Actually, that team would probably beat the current Niner squad 99 out of 100 times! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=run49er;366549]
Clinton Hinton
[/QUOTE]

Awesome name.

I would go with Pope Pius II at PG, Pope Adrian IV at Sg, he had a mean stroke, both were capable of excommunication.

William the conqueror at PF, cause he’s William the conqueror dammit!

Beowulf could play center, he had a real mean streak, although some believe he was fictional.

Finally, Chaucer at SF, one of those smooth players who could get a little nasty when he had to.

Finally, Chaucer at SF, one of those smooth players who could get a little nasty when he had to.

He has a problem finishing.

clinton hinton, was local charlotte product, all world as a frosh, center in the mold of barkley. But for some reason, when Mullins came in, he did not make the transition. Never heard from again.

That was a big problem in the Mullins days, for some reason he instituted tougher academic requirements than the NCAA, not sure why, but it was really frustrating, you would show up to a game and a starter would be benched for academics.

my good friend Ben Basinger, 1975ish. Had 23 rebs in one game, still holds record with Corn.
WHO ??? I don't remember anyone by that name on that team. Of course, my memory is a little foggy from those years too. I think that team only lost 3 or 4 games the entire year.

Is he related to Kim?

He was before your time Over. Basinger finished in 1970.

Here he is below with one from your time, Lew Massey and yours truly.

Lamont Mack
Leemire Goldwire
Deangelo Alexander

Of course lets not forget Middle aged man and his partner drinking buddy. “are you looking at my gut?!” “I’m working on it!”

It is good to see some fans here have not forgotten the players from a era many wish to forget, since there was some good players even on those teams. I would add Emery Atkinson and Rodney Abrams to that list who were very good but got lost in the chaos of those teams. But for the people who have put Clinton Hinton on that list, I have to disagree on him, since you need to know the whole story about his time at Charlotte. Yes he was Freshman player of the year in the Sun Belt, but was below average on defense at best, and that caught up with him at the end of the season with him playing less minutes. Also, it was found out that he never graduated from H.S… He was supposed to have taken a English class the summer before he got to Charlotte, but never attended the class. He was seen on ESPN during the conference tournament by the English professor who then contacted UNCC to find out how he manage to get in without taken his class. Someone fixed the transcripts(Wissel), which really added on to Wissel getting canned as well. Mullins comes in and finds out that Clinton had failed every class that Spring and passed only 2 classes in the fall as well. Still, Mullins gave him a chance to be on the team if he went to summer school and made at least a C average in 3 classes, which he promptly did not attend. He transfers first to Eastern Kentucky, lasting two weeks there, then on to Oral Roberts. Mullins was not only a better coach than Wissel, he also cared about the guys getting a education. In short, the guy was a good offensive player on a bad offensive team who did not play defense, and I would not even put him in the top ten guys during that era… I should know since I played against everyone that has been mention.

[QUOTE=oldniner31;367048]It is good to see some fans here have not forgotten the players from a era many wish to forget, since there was some good players even on those teams. I would add Emery Atkinson and Rodney Abrams to that list who were very good but got lost in the chaos of those teams. But for the people who have put Clinton Hinton on that list, I have to disagree on him, since you need to know the whole story about his time at Charlotte. Yes he was Freshman player of the year in the Sun Belt, but was below average on defense at best, and that caught up with him at the end of the season with him playing less minutes. Also, it was found out that he never graduated from H.S… He was supposed to have taken a English class the summer before he got to Charlotte, but never attended the class. He was seen on ESPN during the conference tournament by the English professor who then contacted UNCC to find out how he manage to get in without taken his class. Someone fixed the transcripts(Wissel), which really added on to Wissel getting canned as well. Mullins comes in and finds out that Clinton had failed every class that Spring and passed only 2 classes in the fall as well. Still, Mullins gave him a chance to be on the team if he went to summer school and made at least a C average in 3 classes, which he promptly did not attend. He transfers first to Eastern Kentucky, lasting two weeks there, then on to Oral Roberts. Mullins was not only a better coach than Wissel, he also cared about the guys getting a education. In short, the guy was a good offensive player on a bad offensive team who did not play defense, and I would not even put him in the top ten guys during that era… I should know since I played against everyone that has been mention.[/QUOTE]

A neighbor of mine in Hunt Village wrote several papers for Clinton Hinton. I put him on the list because of Freshman of Year Award. One of the few awards anyone got during my student era.

Wasn’t privy to all of the details of his era.

Keith Williams
Dan Banister
Ray Gromlowicz
Scott Fitzgibbons
Slim Duncan

What was the starting 5 during the 5-23 year and 8-20 year? I’m pretty sure Keith Williams and Ray Gomlowicz, maybe Clinton Hinton. Someone please remind me.