Another Observer Blunder...

Niner89, I donā€™t expect to ever have you as a subscriber, I guess. Iā€™ll never have the newsprint or the willingness to ignore the ACC that you seem to require.

Over40, not sure who your sources are, but theyā€™re wrong. I was excited to see the move to CUSA because, potentially, it meant more newspaper sales (although obviously not to 89).

The A-10 is less exciting than the old CUSA. I could better be described as not excited about that move, while understanding it was the best move available at the time.

fyi, i have been a loyal fan longer than most on this board. sometimes this board becomes a whine fest as opposed to a source of information and insight. my comment was not intended as a defense of the observer. some of you have beat this observer thing to death for years. your point has been made over and over many times and is well taken. we donā€™t need to scream like the sky is falling every time the observer fails to dot an ā€œiā€ or cross a ā€œtā€. no offense niner89, but this topic grew old a long, long time ago.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;219441]I was excited to see the move to CUSAā€¦
[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Both true. I was an ASE in charge of pro sports coverage (Panthers, Hornets, NASCAR) at the time. So I was much more casual a Niners observer than I have the luxury of being now.

[QUOTE=pickman;219442] we donā€™t need to scream like the sky is falling every time the observer fails to dot an ā€œiā€ or cross a ā€œtā€. [/QUOTE]

Excellent point.

The damage done these days is not nearly as detrimental as that done when the Big O used to have a huge front page pre-game story about a televised acc game between the 2 last place contenders while ingnoring our HOME games when we were RANKEDā€¦ or playing for the conference regular season championship AT HOME in the last game of the seasonā€¦ or playing Cincinnati AT HOMEā€¦ and then giving a RANKED 49er team or CUSA Conference leading 49er team page 12 while giving the other ā€œlocalā€ teams page 1.

You are correct pickman. Not crossing those ā€œtā€™sā€ and dotting those ā€œiā€™sā€ is not that important any more.

[QUOTE=pickman;219442]fyi, i have been a loyal fan longer than most on this board. sometimes this board becomes a whine fest as opposed to a source of information and insight. my comment was not intended as a defense of the observer. some of you have beat this observer thing to death for years. your point has been made over and over many times and is well taken. we donā€™t need to scream like the sky is falling every time the observer fails to dot an ā€œiā€ or cross a ā€œtā€. no offense niner89, but this topic grew old a long, long time ago.[/QUOTE]

You are a true legend in your own mind about being a fan of the program longer than anyone here. What you just wrote was fiction. Donā€™t assume things you know nothing about. I quit subscribed with the observer a while back. Does that prove I really care about if they dot or cross? I just simply stated a few facts about how the ā€œhometownā€ paper treats us Niners. As far as being offended by what you wrote. Please save it for someone that cares about the observer. I only pay for material I enjoy reading.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;219441]Over40, not sure who your sources are, but theyā€™re wrong. I was excited to see the move to CUSAā€¦[/QUOTE]

Is that why you and David Poole told people we belonged in nothing stronger than the Colonial?

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;219441]

The A-10 is less exciting than the old CUSA. I could better be described as not excited about that move, .[/QUOTE]

I can sure as heck agree with thatā€¦the A10 sucks donkey balls.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;219561]Is that why you and David Poole told people we belonged in nothing stronger than the Colonial?[/QUOTE]

I did no such thing, and if Poole did it was on WFNZ when he used to be on there, and since I donā€™t listen I have no idea.

You sure are good at quoting me when weā€™ve never met.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;219393]

ā€“ We can and do write about you. Iā€™ve never said it wasnā€™t our job to cover you; it is. Itā€™s not, however, our job to promote you. Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve said before, and itā€™s still true.[/QUOTE]

Gee Mike, you act like itā€™s UNCCs job to promote themselves.
Besides more writeups in the news, The Observer needs to do a better job of getting the word out to students when there are ball games. On gamedays there are only a few little signs, and I doubt the Observer even put them out.
Something else that bothers me; I used to listen to our games on the radio. No more. I understand the games are still being broadcast, but it seems the broadcasts can only be heard in the city where The Charlotte Observer is published. Very suspicious!
And another thing. What about the TV coverage? WAXN used to carry a lot of our games. Not now, and I for one think itā€™s a vast conservative conspiracy by the Observer to force us to get news about our team only from your paper.
Oh, I suppose you or someone will claim that UNCC has to deal with the radio and TV stations to get our games broadcast, but whatever happened to good old fashioned entitlement?

Mike, to get me and a lot of Charlotte grads to subscribe. Guess what ? You will need to make it your ā€œjobā€ to promote the [SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]49ers[/COLOR][/SIZE]. But, I understand your market is the toothless Wal Mart tar hole as you stated numerous times (ACC?? please). I guess certain thing in life you canā€™t have it all. And, please donā€™t keep on trying to sell whatā€™s not there, nor making it as if the observer is doing us Niners a favor with once every blue moon kind of coverage. After all, once again this is ā€œCHARLOTTEā€. I think it rather silly to promote anyone else besides what goes on around ā€œtownā€. But, again itā€™s just my opinion.

[QUOTE=49er1;219361]Who really wants ā€œmore coverageā€ of the team we are this year? I donā€™t. I get enough just reading the scores. I WILL be pissed if we rebound next year into a decent team and we donā€™t get some ink, but that wonā€™t happen. ALL things come to winners, especially attention, and I think the O will notice if that happens.[/QUOTE]

My point who in the hell wants to read about us this year,

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;219600]I did no such thing[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess I was just lied to by some people. If you say you and Poole and Wertz did not want us joining CUSA, recruiting certain players, and grabbing a share of the Charlotte market, then who am I to argue.

I just donā€™t understand why fellow employees of yours and also employees of other publications would make up crap like that. Itā€™s really amazing how 2 people not knowing each other can fabricate the same lie.

So, maybe I owe you an apology. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;219751]I just donā€™t understand why fellow employees of yours and also employees of other publications would make up crap like that. [/QUOTE]

Believe what you want, but thatā€™s just not true.

[QUOTE=pickman;219442]fyi, i have been a loyal fan longer than most on this board. sometimes this board becomes a whine fest as opposed to a source of information and insight. my comment was not intended as a defense of the observer. some of you have beat this observer thing to death for years. your point has been made over and over many times and is well taken. we donā€™t need to scream like the sky is falling every time the observer fails to dot an ā€œiā€ or cross a ā€œtā€. no offense niner89, but this topic grew old a long, long time ago.[/QUOTE]

I agree some of this does get old. But let me ask you what an energized fan should do? To me that is what being a fan is all about. Whatā€™s wrong with a Charlotte fan wanting more coverage in the local paper than any other school? It seems like a no brainer to me. I would be more worried if the current coverage didnā€™t bother fans and nobody was making requests to the newspaper, radio, tv, etc for more coverage.

Having said that, there are methods or approaches to use which would be more professional. I think Mike does take a lot of beatings on here and heā€™s always been fairly gracious in his response. He has taken shots at the program in the past but mostly heā€™s been professional. I think itā€™s ok to complain about the Observer, but generic complaints like ā€œThe Observer sucksā€ doesnā€™t accomplish much.

[QUOTE=Normmm;220470]I agree some of this does get old. But let me ask you what an energized fan should do? To me that is what being a fan is all about. Whatā€™s wrong with a Charlotte fan wanting more coverage in the local paper than any other school? It seems like a no brainer to me. I would be more worried if the current coverage didnā€™t bother fans and nobody was making requests to the newspaper, radio, tv, etc for more coverage.
[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if our upcoming nationally televised game is even mentioned next week. In the past, they have usually mentioned every game but ours if we had a televised game. Of course, this year those games are not quite as important.

We had a game last night that was on ESPN, yet no pictures in the Observer slideshow, truly amazingā€¦

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/images/sports/0301collegebball/index.html]http://www.charlotte.com/images/sports/0301collegebball/index.html[/URL]

[QUOTE=ninerID;222251]We had a game last night that was on ESPN, yet no pictures in the Observer slideshow, truly amazingā€¦

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/images/sports/0301collegebball/index.html]http://www.charlotte.com/images/sports/0301collegebball/index.html[/URL][/QUOTE]
Is it safe to call it the ā€˜daily tarholeā€™ ???

We had a game last night that was on ESPN, yet no pictures in the Observer slideshow, truly amazing....

http://www.charlotte.com/images/sports/0301collegebball/index.html

Wowā€¦

Iā€™m really starting to develope animosity toward this paper. Before, it was just discontent, but nowā€¦ now itā€™s becoming something more. Soon I may need to enlist myself as Over40ā€™s apprentice.