Another Observer story

Know your Niners Numbers
Yet another story from the Observer, I’m very impressed. At the rate this is going it’s going to be cheaper for me to subscribe!!! (another week like this and I think I will). I think the Observer sees that this could be a very special year for us and I am glad to see them stepping up to the plate. The only negative I have about it is it would’ve been nice to see the roster with the players names and numbers (since the title of the article is “Know your Niners Numbers”, I thought it was an introduction at first). Still, great to see more ink for the Niners!!

Thanks Jena & Mike P.!!!

I’m blown away by it. Good point about the roster. Would have been a nice touch. I hope Curtis goes no headband all season.

[b]Lutz wasn't thrilled with the free-throw shooting in a 114-75 exhibition win Tuesday against Pfeiffer. The Niners shot 50 percent from the line; they were 61.5 percent from the field and 51.9 percent from 3-point range. So each player had to make at least 40 of 50 free-throw attempts before leaving practice Wednesday.[/b]
Would someone please check to see if all the players are in class this morning? They may still be shooting free throws. I'm not sure a few of them could possibly ever achieve that goal. :wacko:

Great to see the CHARLOTTE Observer giving the CHARLOTTE basketball team it’s due recognition. Thanks Mike and Jena!

There goes another $1.00 for my 2 copies. forDniner may have a point. It may wind up being cheaper to subscribe.

B) B) B)

Ladies and Gentlemen I do believe we have ourselves a TEAM this season.

Good to see the Niners advertising in the Bobcats section as well.

[i]Originally posted by KissMyAxe[/i]@Nov 4 2004, 09:56 AM [b] Ladies and Gentlemen I do believe we have ourselves a TEAM this season. [/b]
Yes, I do like the idea behind it! Btw, Celania was joking around about the no names this morning in his usual off-beat way. He said he doubted the players liked it, losing their last names and all. Now they're just Brendan, Curtis, Martin and their mothers will refer to them by number only. :rolleyes: :lol:

Cool article. Somebody’s gonna have to hook me up with the names and numbers. I don’t know who the new guys are yet. Thanks!

Nance wears 00, which I dislike due to the Butter taint. Plus, it just looks weird.

[b] Nance wears 00, which I dislike due to the Butter taint. Plus, it just looks weird.[/b]

The Chief wore 00, and made it work quite well.
Nance is merely returning it to it’s glory!

[i]Originally posted by VA49er[/i]@Nov 4 2004, 10:55 AM [b] Cool article. Somebody's gonna have to hook me up with the names and numbers. I don't know who the new guys are yet. Thanks! [/b]
Drayton is 15. Goldwire 12, Nance 00, and Lewis did not play (ankle).

Roster

I miss the days of “high numbered” jerseys. Plus I think 2 digits fill out a jersey better than a single digit. Note these from the Final Four squad:
10 Jerry Winston
11 Dave Maas
12 Jeff Gruber
14 Bruce Stapleton
21 Chad Kinch
22 Todd Crowley
23 Lew Massey
24 Lee Whitfield
25 Kevin King
31 Phil Scott
32 Melvin Watkins
33 Cedric Maxwell
35 Greg Spain
42 Henry Caldwell
43 Ken Angel
44 Mike Hester

EJ wore #1 in the exhibition

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Nov 4 2004, 01:12 PM [b] The Chief wore 00, and made it work quite well. Nance is merely returning it to it's glory! [/b]
Nice! B)

HP - I think all those high numbered retired jerseys somehwat force a few single digit jerseys on our team. Am I right that the NCAA rules wont allow a digit higher than 5 in the uniform number?

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Nov 4 2004, 12:12 PM [b] The Chief wore 00, and made it work quite well. Nance is merely returning it to it's glory! [/b]
If Nance can live up to the best Niner ever to wear 00 -- Melvin Johnson -- then I'll be extremely pleased.

GO NINERS!!!

Melvin Johnson’s patented bank shot from 22 feet!!

It was a general rule that 0-5 numbers were to be used (refs have 5 fingers, and often receive one back!). It used to be that in the US, 1 & 2 were not allowed, the refs indicated the number of foul shots for the first 7 fouls. 0 & 00 were also not allowed until the 1981 season I think, Melvin Johnson was the first 49er to wear 00.

As for the number of retired jesreys, there are 5 double digit jerseys retired: 32-Melvin Watkins, 33-Cedric Maxwell, 34-Henry Williams, 23-Jarvis Lang and 45-Charles Hayward. That is only 5 of 30 possible numbers, plenty available.

[SIZE=1](And no I’m did not forget the double retired #4s of Byron Dinkins and Demarco Johnson.)[/SIZE]

Good to see it but I cant get too excited about a local newspaper doing their job and covering a local team. I’m used to that we’re I’m from.

I understand the past, but if we get happy/content with bone throwing we’ll never eat the actual steak.

IT"S THEIR JOB, never forget that!

That said I like statements but I love names on back of jerseys.

Ah well…

[i]Originally posted by 82NinerAlum[/i]@Nov 4 2004, 02:45 PM [b] Good to see it but I cant get too excited about a local newspaper doing their job and covering a local team. I'm used to that we're I'm from.

I understand the past, but if we get happy/content with bone throwing we’ll never eat the actual steak.

IT"S THEIR JOB, never forget that! [/b]

Are you Over40’s evil younger brother, I can see him applauding now.