Another Observer story

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Nov 4 2004, 12:12 PM [b]
[b] Nance wears 00, which I dislike due to the Butter taint. Plus, it just looks weird.[/b]

The Chief wore 00, and made it work quite well.
Nance is merely returning it to itā€™s glory! [/b]

Trivia:

Who gave Robert Parish his nickname of ā€œThe Chief?ā€

[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner+Nov 4 2004, 02:58 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NormanNiner @ Nov 4 2004, 02:58 PM)
[b]Are you Over40's evil younger brother, I can see him applauding now. [/b]

Then he would be applauding facts. Feel free to stop me when Iā€™m lying, about what I post!

Saying itā€™s good to see the Niners in the paper is like saying itā€™s good to see Brendan Plavich in the game. At what point do we want him to start launching threes?

I usually eat cracker jacks not read them and this, like cracker jacks, was good, not what I want everytime.

[i]Originally posted by 82NinerAlum[/i]@Nov 4 2004, 03:16 PM [b] Feel free to stop me when I'm lying, about what I post!

[/b]

Then stop. Itā€™s our job to sell newspapers. If it were our job to support the program, to be unfailingly positive, to do everything just right because youā€™re in Mecklenburg County, weā€™d have to do the exact same thing with, for instance, Queens. If you want promotion, go to the SIDā€™s office. If you want coverage because you deserve it, stay good. I think the team is good. Weā€™ll see if Iā€™m right.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Nov 4 2004, 05:47 PM [b]

[/QUOTE]
I think the team is good. Weā€™ll see if Iā€™m right. [/b]

you are correect sir!!! :slight_smile:

[b] Then stop. It's our job to sell newspapers. If it were our job to support the program, to be unfailingly positive, to do everything just right because you're in Mecklenburg County, we'd have to do the exact same thing with, for instance, Queens. If you want promotion, go to the SID's office. If you want coverage because you deserve it, stay good. I think the team is good. We'll see if I'm right.[/b]

So the Bobcats should not get much coverage right?

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 01:51 AM [b]
[b]If you want coverage because you deserve it, stay good. I think the team is good. We'll see if I'm right.[/b]

So the Bobcats should not get much coverage right? [/b]

Ouch.

[i]Originally posted by finalfourtyniners[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 01:51 AM [b]
[b] Then stop. It's our job to sell newspapers. If it were our job to support the program, to be unfailingly positive, to do everything just right because you're in Mecklenburg County, we'd have to do the exact same thing with, for instance, Queens. If you want promotion, go to the SID's office. If you want coverage because you deserve it, stay good. I think the team is good. We'll see if I'm right.[/b]

So the Bobcats should not get much coverage right? [/b]

Wrong. There were 23,000 people there last night. Iā€™m thinking theyā€™ll sell some papers, just like the Panthers, win or lose.

Trust me Mike, they werenā€™t at the Coliseum to see the Bobcats, they were there to be seen by others in town.

Iā€™m sure Nelly fans ought to be good for purchasing oh, one or two newspapers at most during the season. :rolleyes:

Guys, I feel like I canā€™t win. I think youā€™re gonna be good this year, and weā€™re doing more with the team. Iā€™m hoping thatā€™ll sell some papers. But for you to expect that we wonā€™t do the biggest game of local interest (and remember weā€™re a regional newspaper) on a given night in a big way is shortsighted and sets you up for disappointment and anger. We have a lot to cover. Weā€™re going to do Duke, UNC, Wake and N.C. State basketball, and when one of those teams has a big game, itā€™ll get big play. Panthers, even losing, are a tremendous mover of newspapers. Bobcats have great potential, judging by attendance last night, the fact that theyā€™ve sold 20,000 for Saturday and the internet traffic on the topic. Independence football even sells a good number of papers. Racing is big and drives circulation. The ACC will be big this year, it sells papers, and weā€™re going to cover it. I have a limited number of holes on the front page, and weā€™ll be making choices. Nature of the beast: You wonā€™t agree with all of them. For that, I apologize in advance. Why canā€™t you just be happy with what weā€™re doing on the Niners? I think itā€™s been pretty good so far ā€¦

mike,
you are right on! thanks for the increased coverage and keep it up. hopefully the niners will you guys alot to write about this year.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 08:35 AM [b] Guys, I feel like I can't win. [/b]
Unfortunately I think you are right. I for one am happy with the new beat writer and the additional coverage we've received, and the season hasn't even started yet. You will never win against those that continue to argue, they will not be happy until we are on the front of the sports page everyday. I'm sure I will be disappointed from time to time if an ACC or other school gets more space on the front of the sports page on our game days but at least for now the Observer seems to be headed in the right direction. I for one will give you the benefit of the doubt that coverage will be better this year.
[i]Originally posted by 49er1+Nov 4 2004, 03:15 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49er1 @ Nov 4 2004, 03:15 PM)
Originally posted by NormanNiner@Nov 4 2004, 02:58 PM [b]
[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 08:35 AM [b] Why can't you just be happy with what we're doing on the Niners? I think it's been pretty good so far ... [/b]
Then why do you continue to complain about our issues with the coverage Mike? Don't ruffle your feathers. We've complained (rightfully so IMO) about the lack of coverage in the past, good and bad, I've been on that horse for 20+ years, I've come to expect [b]and[/b] accept it. Admittedly, coverage has been better the past few weeks, but that does not make me feel things have changed yet. Yes, a few pre-season words were printed, it's going to take much more over a much longer period of time to convince me the Observer has turned the corner with the 49ers. If it improves, hooray. I'm open-minded enough still to believe it can happen but....

Iā€™m glad you have the guts to come on this board but donā€™t take everything so damn personally. Accept that weā€™re loyal, and yes, coverage of the bad is better than no coverage. Personally, when I see little High Point University getting front page coverage w/color photo playing D-III Chowan tonight and find a 49ers story hidden on page 6 or 7 in the Observer, I get upset. I think you are open-minded enough (or hope so) that you would understand why as well. This board has scooped your writers so many times some of the people here should be on the Oā€™s staff.

In closing, you posted November 1, 10:37am, in the Observer Niner/CUSA thread, ā€œYou donā€™t understand the newspaper biz, 82. And thatā€™s what it is ā€“ a business.ā€ Might the few dollars that the Athletic Department is spending for ticket advertising have something to do with the coverage? Is it a business?

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 08:35 AM [b] Guys, I feel like I can't win. I think you're gonna be good this year, and we're doing more with the team............. [/b]
Mike, be patient with us. We have many years of frustration with coverage & of watching you guys overhype ALL acc teams (even the ones that were worse than us & located hundreds of miles away). I think everyone is thus far very pleased with this year's coverage but also still a little skeptical, which is natural. Also, as pointed out by many posters, the MAJOR COLLEGE CHARLOTTE team should have always received better coverage than other COLLEGE teams by the CHARLOTTE newspaper.

I have stated numerous times that I have been please with this yearā€™s coverage but that does not erase the memories of the pastā€¦ not yet.

B)

Mike, donā€™t bask in the glow of the great preseason coverage you have given us for too long. Iā€™m afraid this lot canā€™t be won over that easily. :frowning: :slight_smile:

Like HP said, it will take a while, but I believe positive steps have been made like I havenā€™t seen in a long time. Thatā€™s a start, and whatā€™s more amazing is that we feel like we may have had a hand in that. That may or may not be true, but you wouldnā€™t be here if you didnā€™t care about our opinions. The fact that you engage folks on here at all is a great thing. B)

Iā€™m very happy with the coverage so far. These people that are whining about the last 20 years need to get over it. And donā€™t compare the High Point Enterprise to the Observer man. Thatā€™s just ridiculous. Of course theyā€™re going to put HPU on the cover every night. Their readership is probably under 40,000 and all in the High Point region. The Observer goes out to, well I donā€™t know the numbers, but they have more than just University City to think about.

Be realistic HPā€¦whining about coverage is only going to get us another column written about 40-whiner fans.

The coverage has been VERY good so far. Reserve judgement until the season really gets underway.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 08:35 AM [b] Guys, I feel like I can't win. I think you're gonna be good this year, and we're doing more with the team. I'm hoping that'll sell some papers. But for you to expect that we won't do the biggest game of local interest (and remember we're a regional newspaper) on a given night in a big way is shortsighted and sets you up for disappointment and anger. We have a lot to cover. We're going to do Duke, UNC, Wake and N.C. State basketball, and when one of those teams has a big game, it'll get big play. Panthers, even losing, are a tremendous mover of newspapers. Bobcats have great potential, judging by attendance last night, the fact that they've sold 20,000 for Saturday and the internet traffic on the topic. Independence football even sells a good number of papers. Racing is big and drives circulation. The ACC will be big this year, it sells papers, and we're going to cover it. I have a limited number of holes on the front page, and we'll be making choices. Nature of the beast: You won't agree with all of them. For that, I apologize in advance. Why can't you just be happy with what we're doing on the Niners? I think it's been pretty good so far ... [/b]
Stop coming on the board and antagonizing people and you won't have to defend yourself so much. You painted yourself into a corner with the "if you are good, you will get covered" line, now deal with it.

Bottom line is that the bobcats will suck for a long time, and you will cover them with passion. Donā€™t give me that BS about there being 23,000 fans at a bobcat game. Go back there in a month and see how many are there. Also, do you really think there are more bobcat fans in Meck County than there are Niner Alum? Please.

[i]Originally posted by bobblinlutz[/i]@Nov 5 2004, 10:42 AM [b] I'm very happy with the coverage so far. These people that are whining about the last 20 years need to get over it. And don't compare the High Point Enterprise to the Observer man. That's just ridiculous. Of course they're going to put HPU on the cover every night. Their readership is probably under 40,000 and all in the High Point region. The Observer goes out to, well I don't know the numbers, but they have more than just University City to think about.

Be realistic HPā€¦whining about coverage is only going to get us another column written about 40-whiner fans.

The coverage has been VERY good so far. Reserve judgement until the season really gets underway. [/b]

I totally agree. I havenā€™t been on this board long but every time the Observer is brought up, there is endless bitching. I think some people need to get the HUGE chips off their shoulders and just enjoy 49er basketball. The more we win the more coverage we should get. If we donā€™t get coverage, who cares, we still won.

Someone from the Observer is taking his time to get on our message board and listen to our thoughts. I am very grateful for that. If people continue to bash the Observer and other local media outlets, where do you think that will get us??

bobblin, Iā€™ve been realisticā€¦ since about 1979. And no, HPU isnā€™t front page every day but they do get more minor sports coverage than the Obsever provides the 49ers. The Greensboro News & Record does equally as well with coverage of Greensboro College, Guilford College and UNCG. Do people care, I donā€™t know, by the info is out there for the public to read. I think we have a legitimate right to complain about coverage and if Mike is going to come on this board and complain about any comments we have, he should be prepared to accept the responses, both good and bad.

Mr. Bo, the ā€œIf people continue to bash the Observer and other local media outlets, where do you think that will get us??ā€ comment is ridiculous. Have you not listened or read the comments posted by those who did hear made about the Charlotte program on WFNZ by some of their so-called broadcasters? If your radio outlet is not going to support you, will you support them?

Perhaps you want to simply censor my comments or ask me (and others) to rah-rah the Observer. If Iā€™m not allowed to post what I feel, have one of the mods contact me, I want my posts to be bobblin/Bo approved before everyone reads them. Iā€™ll be damn more than happy to oblige you, faithfully following and supporting the athletic program and the University since 1976 doesnā€™t count in your eyes.

[SIZE=1]Maybe when youā€™re older and as wise as Over40, you will understand these things.[/SIZE]