Another Power Ranking

I like to keep checking this one. He gives us props. Plus I think it’s a little more accurate thean collegerpi.com. Collegerpi.com has us at 93 and Cincy at 41.

Power Ranking

24!? wow thats some respect

Collegerpi is about as accurate as it gets. To see daily RPI, you have to be a subscriber. Otherwise, Monday updates is all you’ll get.

Love and Hate this…

Away Power Ranking = 13

Home Power Ranking = 112

Home Court Advantage = 319

Halton Arena should be FULL and LOUD!

[i]Originally posted by Normmm[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 12:27 AM [b] I like to keep checking this one. He gives us props. Plus I think it's a little more accurate thean collegerpi.com. Collegerpi.com has us at 93 and Cincy at 41.

Power Ranking [/b]

Jerry Palm at college RPI has the best proven track record when is comes to rpi accuracy. He understands the bonus system better than anyone and I think he has only missed one team in like the past 6 years when prdicting the at-large teams.

If you don’t subscribe, he only updates once/week. He has us at 45.

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 08:40 AM [b] Jerry Palm... ...understands the bonus system better than anyone [/b]
Has he posted the bonus formula and a discussion of it? I've been meaning to read up on that, but I didn't know if the road bonus weighting system was made public.

The new formula gives a 0.4 bonus for winning on the road but according to Ken Pomeroy, a home loss now receives a 0.4 penalty under the new RPI formula.

Home win: 0.7
Home loss: 1.4
Neutral win: 1.0
Neutral Loss: 1.0
Road win: 1.4
Road loss: 0.7

What does the NCAA use? THAT is the RPI we need to pay attention to. Otherwise let’s use “49er1’s RPI” which has the NINERS currently at #1. GO NINERS!!!

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 02:12 AM [b] Collegerpi is about as accurate as it gets. To see daily RPI, you have to be a subscriber. Otherwise, Monday updates is all you'll get. [/b]
I don't know dude. You really think there are 92 teams in the country better than our's?
[i]Originally posted by Normmm+Jan 24 2005, 11:29 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Normmm @ Jan 24 2005, 11:29 AM)
[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 10:19 AM [b] The new formula gives a 0.4 bonus for winning on the road but according to Ken Pomeroy, a home loss now receives a 0.4 penalty under the new RPI formula.

Road loss: 0.7 [/b]

did you mean a .3 penalty for a home loss?

Nope, a 0.4 penalty was right.

A loss at home used to be a 1 in the loss column, now it is 1.4 in the loss column. Hence the 0.4 penalty.

A win at home used to be a 1 in the win column, now it is 0.7 in the win column. So technically, a home win is penalized 0.3.

The opposite applies to true road games.

A loss on the road used to be a 1 in the loss column, now it is 0.7 in the loss column. This lessens the blow of losing on the road, where the home team wins about 2/3 of the games.

A win on the road used to be a 1 in the win column, now it is 1.4 in the win column. This provides a bonus for being among the 1/3 of the teams that win on the opponent’s court.

Neutral court wins and losses are not weighted.

Personally, I like it. If you’re going to pay for cupcakes to come play at home, you’re going to pay come Selection Sunday under the new formula.

Charlotte has gained a reputation as “Road Warriors” over the last two seasons and the new formula plays well to our scheduling problem (too good to get a lot of big games at home).

[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 10:19 AM [b] The new formula gives a 0.4 bonus for winning on the road but according to Ken Pomeroy, a home loss now receives a 0.4 penalty under the new RPI formula.

Road loss: 0.7 [/b]

I was under the impression that these were all speculatory and that the NCAA would still keep all their adjustments secret.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate+Jan 24 2005, 09:10 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerAdvocate @ Jan 24 2005, 09:10 AM)
[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 05:34 PM [b] I was under the impression that these were all speculatory and that the NCAA would still keep all their adjustments secret.[/b]

What the heck is “speculatory”?

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi+Jan 24 2005, 06:34 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49erpi @ Jan 24 2005, 06:34 PM)
[b]What the heck is "speculatory"?[/b]

speculatory

hmmm:

TYPE IN YOUR WORD & CLICK GO!
Search: Normal Definitions Short defs

Sorry, no words matching “speculatory” were found.

If you are unsure of the spelling, try using a wildcard: a ( ? ) stands for one unknown letter and ( * ), for several unknown letters.

For example: “rec??ve” would find “receive”, and “indispens*” would find “indispensable.”

Roget’s II: New Thesaurus
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
© 1996-2004 yourDictionary.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

For the love of God.

Speculatory

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jan 24 2005, 07:11 PM [b]For the love of God.

Speculatory[/b]

I don’t think this is high on God’s list of important things.

I had not heard or seen the word before. It’s out there and I can’t dispute that. But I think that Mr. pi walked into it backwards. He usually relies on words of the 4 letter kind I think.