App. St. Billboard

I lost many classmates to the "weeding" out process too. :smile:

Actually, Architecture was very tough to get into way back when I was there. Nursing was rated tops, and our Accounting Majors led the state in pass rates on the CPA Exam for a long time (maybe they still do).

Yeah my mom told me that the college of buisness was tops in their exams when she graduated as well

The film studies minor is awesome

Roughly 250 people apply to the architecture program (either yearly or semesterly, I’ve never actually asked which, though I’m sure it’s very obvious) and they select something like 64. It’s pretty elite. We’re one of two universities in the state with a 5 year program (UNC-R being the other) and we also have 4 year and 6 year programs.

A nice billboard is easy to make fun of when you don’t have one. If we had a sweet billboard, we’d be all over it. Oh wait, we did, and the board was all over how great it was, posting photos and such … Memory’s fickle boys.

You know what else is fickle? The average 16 to 18 year old high school student. You forget how easily swayed you can be and what really mattered when you were picking a school. Yeah, the programs matter, but not as much as you’d hope. You choose based on what the campus looks like, how you felt when you went to visit, did it look fun, how were the dorms, stuff that matters but isn’t the entire picture.

And yes, billboards can make you say oh cool.

A nice billboard is easy to make fun of when you don't have one. If we had a sweet billboard, we'd be all over it. Oh wait, we did, and the board was all over how great it was, posting photos and such ... Memory's fickle boys.

You know what else is fickle? The average 16 to 18 year old high school student. You forget how easily swayed you can be and what really mattered when you were picking a school. Yeah, the programs matter, but not as much as you’d hope. You choose based on what the campus looks like, how you felt when you went to visit, did it look fun, how were the dorms, stuff that matters but isn’t the entire picture.

Brick is nominated to be in charge of the sweet new Charlotte bilboard campaign - my personal opinion, throw a pick of charlie coley doing his chair dunk up there - that or bring back some old front fields pictures… or heck, do both!!!

A nice billboard is easy to make fun of when you don't have one. If we had a sweet billboard, we'd be all over it. Oh wait, we did, and the board was all over how great it was, posting photos and such ... Memory's fickle boys.

That’s why every student with pride in the University (and a spare hour every week plus 4 Open Houses) should be a tour guide. Nothing sways a fickle high schooler like a tour given by someone who believes in the school they attend. I’ve talked to more than a handful of people who boycotted a school based on a bad tour, and who can blame them? It’s your first real taste of the University. If the person doesn’t give a crap about the school, why should you?

[QUOTE=zerogeneticsdc1;280751]Brick is nominated to be in charge of the sweet new Charlotte bilboard campaign - my personal opinion, throw a pick of charlie coley doing his chair dunk up there - that or bring back some old front fields pictures… or heck, do both!!![/QUOTE]

I already submitted [B][URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1403&d=1199238066]my nomination[/URL][/B].

That's why every student with pride in the University (and a spare hour every week plus 4 Open Houses) should be a tour guide. Nothing sways a fickle high schooler like a tour given by someone who believes in the school they attend. I've talked to more than a handful of people who boycotted a school based on a bad tour, and who can blame them? It's your first real taste of the University. If the person doesn't give a crap about the school, why should you?

i seriously concidered being a tour guide - is it worth it?

i seriously concidered being a tour guide - is it worth it?

I think so. J Felt is one too, ask him how he feels about it.

The Charlotte 5-year program is among the top architecture schools on the east coast. Being a graduate out of the program I can attest the we have the nicest facilities by far of any school I have been to, backing that I have been to schools at the University of Chicago, IIT, Clemson, NC State, and many schools in Europe. The program is very very competative, even after you are accepted. I think my freshman year we had over 600 applicants, 200 got interviews, and only 60 were accepted. By the end of four years we graduated 48, then only 18 were accepted into the fifth year. Correct me if I am wrong but out of 600 and being dwindled down to 18…the odds are definitely against you. The great thing about architecture is that it isn’t really based on grades. Yes they help you, but they are looking for creativity. It could be in music, art, dance, practically anything. I have friends that couldn’t draw any better than most, but they can build a guitar from nothing. Even through school your grades are somebody’s opinion about your work, its like you are a salesman and you have to promote your own stuff…say the wrong thing and it might affect your grade severly. Thats what makes it so fun though…there never really is a right or wrong answer. You just have to convince other people that you have reasons why you did what you did, and they better be damn good ones! Charlotte has many superior programs, I haven’t seen any mention that we have one of the nation’s leading laser technology programs. I guess maybe this forum is more about patting ourselves on the back, because I am pretty sure the accomplishments out of Charlotte are known where it matters.

[QUOTE=s9er;280686]The school does a dreadful job of self promotion. We need new marketing people in the Athletic Department and the general University.[/QUOTE]
AD just made some changes which are becoming evident. My wife and sister are both directors at Charlotte YMCA’s and said that Charlotte is offering promotional deals for families at the Y. I forget what it is though. The school side needs to do a LOT better.

[QUOTE=brentrob55;280761]I guess maybe this forum is more about patting ourselves on the back, because I am pretty sure the accomplishments out of Charlotte are known where it matters.[/QUOTE] Good point. I think the general consensus is most of the accomplishments are known where it matters but not known to the general public.

To get back to the topic of a billboard… was coming back from my honeymoon and on the charter bus from Port of Miami to Miami Airport there was a Rutgers billboard that read “Come play up North for the Fall…” Or something along those lines. My wife wondered why the hell a NJ school had a billboard in Miami, but after a simple explanation she understood. The placement was humorous too, as it was literally miles before the exit for Coral Gables, and relatively in the vicinity of the Orange Bowl.