App to FBS (Sun Belt)

ā€¦along with Georgia Southern, Idaho, and one of the New Mexico schools I believeā€¦Talk of JMU joining themā€¦the App rivalry could end up being monumentalā€¦lots on the line in terms of recruitingā€¦glad we are in C-USA b/c itā€™s the better leagueā€¦

[size=11px][font=Verdana]App State Stadium Addition [/font][/size][font=Verdana]
Boone, NC - Kidd Brewer Stadium will be renamed to Loweā€™s Stadium. Loweā€™s will provide $25 million for naming rights for 10 yrs.

Seating will immediately be expanded to 35,000 seats with completion date for start of 2014 football season. Plans include expansion to 43,000 seats within 5 yrs. The track will be removed and the lower level will be restructured with steel frame, similar to east side upper level, at a slightly milder grade extending closer to field providing an increase of 6,000 seats. The existing upper level of west stands will be refitted with 5,000 stadium seats for premium season ticket holders. The south endzone will be closed in to match both the lower level of east and west sides providing an additional 5,000 seats. This leaves the north side open to retain the scenic view of Howardā€™s Knob. Future addition of upper level in south endzone will provide another 8,000 seats in next expansion phase planned for 2018.

Athletic Director Charlie Cobb said ā€œThe fans have supported App State football for many years by attending game after game with overflow crowds, many without the benefit of hard seats. It is long overdue that these dedicated fans will now have physical seats to meet the demand of our ever increasing numbers of supporters.ā€

I have seen the artist rendering of this about a year ago (or at least I think this is the same). Apps plans are very aggressive. If both schools never play each other (at least for many years), the heat is on now! Both football programs are going to be pushing each other from now on. I think that is a good thing.[/font]

Wait a minute. Hold the phone! The article is a hoax.

[font=Verdana][/font][table][tr][td][font=Verdana][/font][table][tr][td][font=Verdana][size=11px]Post: #6[/size][size=11px]RE: App State Stadium Addition [/size][size=2px]

Article is fake. While I have no doubt weā€™ll start to develop an expansion plan in the immediate/near future. The above is a hoax.
Article is fake. While I have no doubt weā€™ll start to develop an expansion plan in the immediate/near future. The above is a hoax.[/size][/font][/td][/tr][/table][font=Verdana][/font][/td][/tr][/table][font=Verdana][/font]

even though itā€™s false I do see them eventually taking out the track and make the horse shoe

I am originally from western NC and have been to a few App games and I am wondering where a 43,000 person crowd is going to park on that campus and how the road system can handle that kind of traffic. I am also wondering how far can App broaden its fan base beyond its most recent success? East Carolina can draw from the whole coast plain area of NC for fans, we hopefully can draw the from Charlotte metro area, but what area can App lay claim to? Iā€™m not trying to be a hater or look down on them but their move to the Sun Belt is a head scratcher for me.

Jammin, AppSU claims the Charlotte market, just ask their fans to show you the trucker map and theyā€™ll tell you how many ASU bumper stickers they saw on their way to Nothlake Mall.

For the record though, that write-up had me going! ;D

I donā€™t visit the App board, but I do remember reading it when a link appeared in one of our threads. I laughed when I saw one of their fans refer to their program as one of the top 20 programs in the country.

You sure it didnā€™t say top 20 in Watauga County?

Sun belt travel will kill their ad.

The fans are not happy at all about the move. They have been asking for something like this for years and now they are complaining about it. I find this really amusing.

Tats b/c tey thought they would head to either the ACC or the SEC. ::slight_smile: ??? :))

I get the sense that it was really 50/50 on their fans wanting this. Most of the App fans I know arenā€™t too crazy about it. Of course most of them are also Chapel Hill fans so that might have something to do with it.

The thing that I think most App fans are not realizing is, the pecking order for recruiting in any of this has not changed that dramatically.

Yeah - and their costs just went way up and their losses did too. the positive thing for us is that our fans donā€™t expect titles so losses arenā€™t a shock to us. Letā€™s see how many people travel to the rock when the Ls start adding up. I recall going to plenty of App games in the early 90s with no one in the stadium.

Oh and my daughter just went crazy that you have the Grouch as your avatar here.

I have no problem with ASU moving up. I think it provides more competition for us, sure, but they have to do what they think is in their best interest. I may not agree, and all of their fans may not agree, that it is in their best interest, but thatā€™s their decision to make.

One of the arguments that drives me nuts is when people start talking about the fact that there are now 7 FBS programs in NC (NCSU, UNC-CHeat, Duke, Wake, Charlotte, App, ECU) and the newer schools shouldnā€™t be moving up. If you think there are too many programs then drop your team down, but donā€™t tell another school not to do whatā€™s in their best interest because it makes your life more difficult. Iā€™m not saying anyone here has done that, but Iā€™ve heard it from UNC-CHeat and Wake fans, so far.

Like I said in the other thread, good for them.

I really donā€™t understand the move when their AD said they only wanted in a conference with regional rivalries. I also think they underestimated the costs in will take to travel in the new form of the Sunbelt.

I donā€™t really see us playing them for a good 7-8 years down the road.

[quote=ā€œbleedsgreenandgold, post:17, topic:27658ā€]I really donā€™t understand the move when their AD said they only wanted in a conference with regional rivalries. I also think they underestimated the costs in will take to travel in the new form of the Sunbelt.

I donā€™t really see us playing them for a good 7-8 years down the road.[/quote]With GaSo and possibly JMU/Liberty, theyā€™ll have some regional rivals. The eastern side of the SBC isnā€™t too bad travel-wise. Itā€™s the west that is awful.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/03/30/3950402/appalachian-state-mountaineers.html

Why do people continue to say that App is in the Charlotte market? It is 2 hours away and both Asheville and Winston-Salem are closer.