Attendance Idea...

Saw this concerning VCU while reading the local fish wrap. That school has started a #[B]6th Man Rewards Program[/B]" to boost attendence. Basically, the program allows students to earn such items as practice shorts, sweatshirts and jerseys, based on the number of games they attend. There’s also a drawing for for a Sony entertainment center at the end of the season. The costs associated with the program, according to VCU officials, is $12-$18,000 this season. It seems to be working in that the Rams have a good shot at breaking the average attendance record this season.

Now, is this something we could do? Maybe tie it into the points system already in place?

Yeah I would love some pratice shorts or a pratice Jersey

[QUOTE=VA49er;153240]Saw this concerning VCU while reading the local fish wrap. That school has started a #[B]6th Man Rewards Program[/B]" to boost attendence. Basically, the program allows students to earn such items as practice shorts, sweatshirts and jerseys, based on the number of games they attend. There’s also a drawing for for a Sony entertainment center at the end of the season. The costs associated with the program, according to VCU officials, is $12-$18,000 this season. It seems to be working in that the Rams have a good shot at breaking the average attendance record this season.

Now, is this something we could do? Maybe tie it into the points system already in place?[/QUOTE]

It would be a pretty good idea, but considering we can’t BUY any Niner gear, I wonder what we would give away. Also, it seems that the people who would most want jersey’s, shorts, etc., would only be the biggest fans who are already likely at the games. As you referenced, you would have to put a big ticket item in play to get the casual fans out.

Based on last night’s attendance, I’m far more disgusted with the alumni than students. The students appeared sedated for most of the game but at least they were present. I have never seen so many green seats in the upper alumni levels. There were literally 9 people in the entire section to the left of ours. Pitiful and before someone uses Wednesday night church as an excuse, spare me. I’ve seen Halton full on Wednesday nights in the past so it can be done. I know this isn’t our best season but last night’s game deserved a better turnout. It was embarrassing.

They should do something like that for the alumni too. :biggrin:

Attendance last night was sad considering the magnitude of the game.

I invited 4 different people to go with me. Several of them I actually OFFERED to buy their ticket. NO ONE wanted to go…not even for free.

Excuses given:

1. No thanks, I don’t like Coach Lutz & his style of play.
  2. State & Miami are on TV tonight.
  3. Do you still go to THOSE games?
  4. I watched all of the Duke/UNC game last night, my wife will get mad if I watch sports 2 nights in a row.

I don’t care if it was students/alumni/other fans. I thought the entire arena atmosphere sucked last night. When the Niners came out of the locker room for their final pregame warmups, there were 12 people in my section.

Something significant needs to happen. I’m sick of it.

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;153256]Something significant needs to happen. I’m sick of it.[/QUOTE]

I think most of us feel the same way.

My section was so sparse that I went to student general admission. Better view of the game and more reason to yell.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;153252]Based on last night’s attendance, I’m far more disgusted with the alumni than students. The students appeared sedated for most of the game but at least they were present. I have never seen so many green seats in the upper alumni levels. There were literally 9 people in the entire section to the left of ours. Pitiful and before someone uses Wednesday night church as an excuse, spare me. I’ve seen Halton full on Wednesday nights in the past so it can be done. I know this isn’t our best season but last night’s game deserved a better turnout. It was embarrassing.[/QUOTE]
I don’t know what was behind me but the upper level student section was the smallest ever as were the upper end zones. I’m not gonna complain… I’m taking the “if you don’t use it, you’ll lose it” approach from now on.

Church night?? Go on Sunday.

Something significant needs to happen. I'm sick of it.

Fan apathy is definitely at an all time high this season. I’ve seen it bad in the past but Halton isn’t even a true homecourt advantage this year. I didn’t see the boxscore but there couldn’t have been over 5,000 there last night.

I don't know what was behind me but the upper level student section was the smallest ever as were the upper end zones. I'm not gonna complain... I'm taking the "if you don't use it, you'll lose it" approach from now on.

If I had to guess, I’d say the entire section behind you, from 216 to 226 was maybe at 50% full. The upper student sections were in deed bad but that’s normally the case anyway. The alumni upstairs at least have a history of coming to key games but I guess last night was the exception.

I’m amazed that people are amazed or shocked or even really upset about attendance. It’s not that I’m happy about it, but c’mon, we started slow as hell overall, dumped half of our first 8 home games (unheard of before this season), and have fallen off the radar.

The diehards are there every night. The fairweather fans will be back when/if the hype machine gets going again. I expect no more or no less. And to a certain extent, it’s kind of refreshing knowing that everyone who does go now, really really wants to be there, and doesn’t just want to walk around the track in a tight shirt for 45 minutes to see how many looks they get.

This is a good idea to increase attendance but it needs to be used for alumni. I love the alumni that do come out, but so many don’t.

I'm amazed that people are amazed or shocked or even really upset about attendance. It's not that I'm happy about it, but c'mon, we started slow as hell overall, dumped half of our first 8 home games (unheard of before this season), and have fallen off the radar.

I’m not shocked by it but it’s not like we’re sitting at 8-13 and in the cellar of the A-10. And Temple is a historically rich program with a legendary coach. We’re tied for 2nd in the conference and it was a very important game for us that could spark a nice run. More people should have expressed interest in the game last night. I’ve seen this program struggle in the past and still draw a bigger crowd than last night. And those that were there were anemic. Just an overall sorry night for attendance, including most of those that did in fact show up.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;153273] be back when/if the hype machine gets going again. I expect no more or no less. And to a certain extent, it’s kind of refreshing knowing that everyone who does go now, really really wants to be there, and doesn’t just want to walk around the track in a tight shirt for 45 minutes to see how many looks they get.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself…

This is somewhat related to attendance… I couldn’t find the parking pass last night, so I got to see what parking is like for a mid-week game for the non 49er club member. If it was my first game to Halton as a casual fan, I might not come back. I ended up parking a 10 minute walk away and there were others who might as well have parked on Mallard.

For the level of attendance we had, I can’t imagine what parking for a well attended game would have been like. The parking for a mid-week game needs to be fixed, plain and simple, because if people can’t get to teh arena they sure can’t attend. It also explained to me why we have such a late arriving crowd. I didn’t make it in before the tip for the first time in a long while…

This is such an old topic. The horse is way, way beyond dead and buried.

How do you increase fan attendance? By putting a consistent, winning, nationally ranked team on the floor year after year. That’s what its gonna take here in Charlotte. You can’t put a gun to the head of the casual fan and say “Go see the Niners…they’re fun to watch”. This isn’t Wichita State where the casual fan has nothing better to do. The product has to prove…consistently prove…that going to a game at Halton is the best thing to do with time and money.

Throw in the factor that much of the Charlotte sports fan base is made up from people who originally became sports fans in other parts of the country…then throw in the factor that a very high percentage of the Charlotte area natives grew up rooting for one of the big 3, and you see why people only show up at Halton when the match up is big (eg Cincinnati in years past). The only true disappointment or surprise should be on those occasions when (live on or near campus) students don’t show up for an on-campus game. Free tickets, walk to and from the arena, great study break, no family committments, scream as loud as you want…how awesome is that? Many of us old-timers remember driving to Tyvola for those wacky Sun-Belt conference games against Western Kentucky.

Those of us that do make it to the games, or out-of-towners that support them in other ways have to accept the situation as it is. But I suspect, with 3 more home games against non-exciting opponents left…this topic will rise up 3 more times this season.

Great win against Temple, we played hard and didn’t let that horrible start dictate the entire game. How many of use wish we could play Miss State right now instead of back in November?

Parking right now is a disaster. They should consider leasing CMS buses (seriously) to move people from the remote lots to the arena. It’s by NO fault of the athletic program that parking is bad right now, but it’s up to them to keep the fans accomodated and not having to experience a Davidson-like walk.

When is the new deck going to be ready? It looks like it’ll be at least twice the size of the West Deck opposite the trakc.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;153273]I’m amazed that people are amazed or shocked or even really upset about attendance. It’s not that I’m happy about it, but c’mon, we started slow as hell overall, dumped half of our first 8 home games (unheard of before this season), and have fallen off the radar.
[/QUOTE]

That coupled with the lack of perceived “big name” opponents leads to low fan turnout. Hopefully as people become accustomed to the A-10 more fans will show up. That and we keep winning.