Austin Duke signed by Panthers

Will be tough to make the final roster, but very excited for Duke.

All you can ask for is a shot, glad heā€™s getting one!

Good for him. Hope the league works out for him, even if not with the Panthers. He and Khalif deserve an opportunity.

Iā€™m happy he is getting a shot, but the Panthers just drafted 2 slot receiversā€¦ He would have a better shot on another roster? (I want him to make a team).

KP will get his shot if he can keep fit. He might have offers right now, and he should. He ran slow on that windy day pro day, but I never saw him run slow in pads. When not running through tackles, he was more often running away from the pack.

Good video of Austin, and Clemsonā€™s Ben ā€œButt Fingersā€ Boulware, reporting for rookie camp. Austin decked out in Charlotte gear. Awesome to see.

That was great, thanks for sharing.

That was awesome cool :sunglasses:

clt would have mocked the observer for no coverage.

Austin has impressed in OTAs so far. Has had several impressive plays the last few practices. I think he has a real shot at landing on the practice squad.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-OTA-Observations-Day-6/7fade490-8f6f-4885-b90d-c7ced48a76aa
http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-OTA-Observations-Day-4/c2279649-712d-4fe6-a219-ed9794342778

Undrafted rookie wide receiver Austin Duke had arguably the play of the day, hauling in deep ball down the sideline from quarterback Joe Webb, much to the delight of quarterback Cam Newton. Duke also earned praise from head coach Ron Rivera for an effective block to spring a big gain on an end-around. "Thatā€™s my job," Duke said. "Thatā€™s what theyā€™re expecting me to do."
Shortly after Teddy Williams broke up passes on back-to-back plays, the cornerback found himself behind Austin Duke. The undrafted rookie out of Charlotte ran underneath the perfectly thrown toss by Garrett Gilbert and then ran into the end zone on what was the final play of practice.

clt says duuuuuuuuke.

And also, avoid the panthers chat board. Lots of dumb.

Unfortunately, he could absolutely ball out all summer and not make the 53. He has a solid shot at practice squad though.

Letā€™s not make him our ā€œArmanti Edwardsā€. KB, Funch, Charles Johnson, Curtis Samuel, and Russel Shepard are locks barring injury. They might keep a 6th though

Heā€™s gotta be better than Damiere Byrd and Brenton Bersin. Which I think he can and will, but a lot of things are gonna have to fall his way. The org has been very loyal and committed to both of those guys for a few years though, so heā€™ll have to leave no doubt. Keyarris Garrett (Tulsa) is an X factor here as well. Priority UDFA last year that by all accounts struggled on the p-squad last year, but certainly has the talent.

[quote=ā€œImfromClayton, post:13, topic:30932ā€]Unfortunately, he could absolutely ball out all summer and not make the 53. He has a solid shot at practice squad though.

Letā€™s not make him our ā€œArmanti Edwardsā€. KB, Funch, Charles Johnson, Curtis Samuel, and Russel Shepard are locks barring injury. They might keep a 6th though

Heā€™s gotta be better than Damiere Byrd and Brenton Bersin. Which I think he can and will, but a lot of things are gonna have to fall his way. The org has been very loyal and committed to both of those guys for a few years though, so heā€™ll have to leave no doubt. Keyarris Garrett (Tulsa) is an X factor here as well. Priority UDFA last year that by all accounts struggled on the p-squad last year, but certainly has the talent.[/quote]

Regardless of whether or not he ultimately makes the Panthers rosterā€¦a good camp and and preseason is ultimately a tryout for every team in the league. If he makes a good impression here and thereā€™s not room for him hereā€¦word will get around and heā€™ll land somewhere be it a practice squad or roster.

He has to keep balling out to make that even a possibilityā€¦but thatā€™s what heā€™s working for. And so far so good. Heā€™s making an impression and making plays and doing his part. Just gotta keep it up.

He can play in the NFL. Dukes is wicked fast. His hands have gotten better every year. Just think about how much better their 3rd string QB is compared to all of his previous QBā€™s.
He can learn to play the slot much better- learn when to sit down in the zone or slice through it so he is not crushed. I would see him making the practice squad as making the team this year. I have no idea if he could make active the active roster this year without injuries or taking a special teams role. The proof will be how he handles contact in pads in camp - Thomas Dukes, Shaq Dukes and Luke Dukes.

What?

What?[/quote]Heā€™s alluding to the fact that Duke has more capable QBā€™s delivering the ball to him.

What?[/quote]Heā€™s alluding to the fact that Duke has more capable QBā€™s delivering the ball to him.[/quote]
Yes. And better players playing defense on him.

@PanthersMax Another LONG TD catch for Austin Duke and another LONG run down the field to celebrate for Cam Newton.

From OTAs today.

Also, Jeremy Igo predicting that Duke has a very good shot at landing on the practice squad. Fred Ross was the UDFA WR that received the most initial hype, but from reports so far, Duke seems to be ahead of him.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2017/06/06/carolina-panthers-rookie-report/

On Friday, they were talking about who is the newest rookie that is unknown to catch your eye, & they mentioned Austin Duke & his miracle catch last week. It also made the Observer last week as well.