Austin Duke signs with Toronto Argonauts

Heard he is headed to Cleveland to be Larry’s Assistant

An athlete’s window of opportunity to be a professional athlete of any kind is very small and limited. If he has an opportunity to play anywhere…he should take it.

I understand not wanting to lose a chance to be in the NFL for 2 years but he’s not even on a practice squad.

Why throw away a chance to actually play professionally when your NFL opportunity would probably be limited to a practice squad spot at most?

My advice would be to jump at the CFL and make headlines north of the border playing the sport you love for a job for a while. Professional sports opportunities don’t come along every day. Take 'em when you get 'em.

Unlike basketball, the chance of a career ending injury in football is pretty high. I think he wants to see if he gets picked up by another NFL team either in the season or for the next preseason. If that doesn’t happen he would then be facing a decision. As long as he stays in shape he will be good to go.

Love AD, but he had some chances in some Panthers preseason games that he muffed. When you are already on the cusp you have to get it done without fail or you’re out. I wish the best for him whatever that turns out to be.

clt says maybe he is holding out for the xfl

Lets see if it sticks this time: https://www.argonauts.ca/2019/05/27/argos-add-int-wr-austin-duke-int-db-malik-davis

2 Likes

I like this part:

Duke , 25, is the all-time leading receiver at the University of Charlotte, racking up record after record in his four years (2013-2016) for the 49ers. The North Carolina native is the school’s all-time leader in receptions (253), receiving yards (3,437) and receiving touchdowns (24), playing in 46 games for the 49ers. He holds each of the program’s top nine single-game receiving yard outputs with 13 100-yard games including a school record 254 in 2014 vs. The Citadel. Finished his career fifth all-time in FBS career receptions and seventh in career yards. The 5’9, 170-pound WR spent two years with the Carolina Panthers, playing on their practice squad in 2017 and through the pre-season in 2018, catching nine balls for 69 yards before being released as part of final cuts.

1 Like

Had 3 Receptions, 2 TD’s and 52 yards in an exhibition today. Also returned punts and kickoffs.

Another 49er, Anthony Covington made a tackle on defense. Nice to see the 2 49ers become teammates in the pros again.

Updated depth chart:

Former Niner Anthony Covington is 1st team.

1 Like

Duke released

https://twitter.com/ArgonautsMR/status/113705020739962

His fault. He shoulda had at least 3 TDs in his last game.

He seems like a good kid and should be successful outside of football.

1 Like