Bandwagon guidelines

Thanks to EE, who already posted this in the Danielle Trotta is a worthless skank thread.

I figured this deserved it’s own thread.

This applies to 99% of all Red Sox and Cubs fans I know…

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080620[/URL]

I had a Red Sox “fan” ask me once about my jersey, “who’s Yastremski? is he a minor league prospect? or is that your name?” that article is dead on. I do feel way more deserving of Red Sox success than 95% of the clowns I bump into in bars.

I had a Red Sox "fan" ask me once about my jersey, "who's Yastremski? is he a minor league prospect? or is that your name?" that article is dead on. I do feel way more deserving of Red Sox success than 95% of the clowns I bump into in bars.

LOL that is classic. That fits my complaint about Red Sox bandwagoners to a tee. M9, I know you are a real fan.

Good stuff!!

Also check out the ‘What kind of bandwagon fan are you?’ article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hruby/bandwagon/080620

This describes pretty much any hole fan:

[QUOTE]
Party Apparatchiks
Fans who pledged their fealty to an acknowledged, national-level bandwagon squad before they were old enough to know right from wrong – and never bothered to rethink matters.
[/QUOTE]

I’ve been a Cubs fan since 1990. First baseball game I ever saw on TV when my parents finally got cable was Cubs-Expos. Ryno hit 2 homers and the crowd was going crazy. A Montreal player hit a homer out of Wrigley onto Waveland Ave., and a Cubs fan on the street hurled the ball over the wall and back onto the playing field. Steve Stone and Harry Carey joked that the Cubs should sign the guy as a pitcher.

The Cubs won.

I’ve been a Cubs fan ever since. Sometimes I feel guilty because I have no allegiance to the city of Chicago whatsoever. I feel kind of dirty, like a Tarheel fan. Do you think I should feel like that?

With WGN being so prominent in North Carolina I could see why there would be Cubs fans in the State.

In the early 90s I became a SuperSonics fan even though at that point in my life I had never been further west than Hershey Park Pennsylvania, it happens when you are young, it is ok if you stick wth that team through the ups and down, which as a Cubs fan you must certainly have.

I wonder if Ryno hit that HR after a night of slump busting with Mark Grace?

[QUOTE=Mike Niner Hunt;325691]I had a Red Sox “fan” ask me once about my jersey, "who’s Yastremski? [/QUOTE]

I hate the Red Sox (& the Yankees, for that matter), but even the most casual Red sox fan should know who Yaz is.

If they don’t, they are inviting someone to tattoo “I AM A DUMBASS” across their face.

Speaking of Yaz, I remember watching Mike Yastremski play for the Durham Bulls…back around 1983 or 1984.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;325710]I’ve been a Cubs fan since 1990. First baseball game I ever saw on TV when my parents finally got cable was Cubs-Expos. Ryno hit 2 homers and the crowd was going crazy. A Montreal player hit a homer out of Wrigley onto Waveland Ave., and a Cubs fan on the street hurled the ball over the wall and back onto the playing field. Steve Stone and Harry Carey joked that the Cubs should sign the guy as a pitcher.

The Cubs won.

I’ve been a Cubs fan ever since. Sometimes I feel guilty because I have no allegiance to the city of Chicago whatsoever. I feel kind of dirty, like a Tarheel fan. Do you think I should feel like that?[/QUOTE]

not totally dumb. I used to be a Bill Elliott fan, because he won the 1st NASCAR race I ever attended.

of course, his time has kinda passed, so I was forced to shift my allegences…wouldn’t be much fun being a Bill Elliott fan in today’s NASCAR.

I’m a Pirates fan and have been since the 70’s.

I was asked by Sox fan a few days ago why I was a Pirates fan?
Why are you a Red Sox fan?
I’ve loved Manny for as long as I can remember
Oh so you used to be an Indians fan? I asked
Huh? was his reply

My problem with bandwagon fans is how knowledgeble they think they are about their sport, yet how myopic they are about it.

I had a an arguement with a Red Sox fan about the bext pitcher in baseball.
I’m convinced it’s Brandon Webb. He thought Beckett (which I’ve got no huge problem with) or Dice K.
My problem was is that he

1. Didn’t know where Webb played
  2. Didn’t think he was top 10
  3. Denied that Webb won the CY Young in 06 and finished 2nd in 07.

His final arguement was "He’d be the #3 in Boston, maybe the #4.

Tarheel fans are the same way. “VA Tech should have danced. They almost beat us”

Fans of teams like this are spoon fed happy stories on ESPN (or the O). To be a Pirates fan (or Niners fan), you have to do your homework and doing this homework makes you a more knowledgable fan of the game.

Tintin

Fans of teams like this are spoon fed happy stories on ESPN (or the O). To be a Pirates fan (or Niners fan), you have to do your homework and doing this homework makes you a more knowledgeable fan of the game.

Tintin

Good post, I totally agree. People like cheering for a winner, it’s the same reason the yankees and cowboys are popular also.

Thanks to EE, who already posted this in the Danielle Trotta is a worthless skank thread.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080620

Thanks for giving me credit.

:lmao:

I had to go back and look to see if that was really the name of the other thread…

[QUOTE=Tintin;325727]I’m a Pirates fan and have been since the 70’s.

I was asked by Sox fan a few days ago why I was a Pirates fan?
Why are you a Red Sox fan?
I’ve loved Manny for as long as I can remember
Oh so you used to be an Indians fan? I asked
Huh? was his reply

My problem with bandwagon fans is how knowledgeble they think they are about their sport, yet how myopic they are about it.

I had a an arguement with a Red Sox fan about the bext pitcher in baseball.
I’m convinced it’s Brandon Webb. He thought Beckett (which I’ve got no huge problem with) or Dice K.
My problem was is that he

1. Didn’t know where Webb played
  2. Didn’t think he was top 10
  3. Denied that Webb won the CY Young in 06 and finished 2nd in 07.

His final arguement was "He’d be the #3 in Boston, maybe the #4.

Tarheel fans are the same way. “VA Tech should have danced. They almost beat us”

Fans of teams like this are spoon fed happy stories on ESPN (or the O). To be a Pirates fan (or Niners fan), you have to do your homework and doing this homework makes you a more knowledgable fan of the game.

Tintin[/QUOTE]

I don’t care for Hank Steinbrenner much, but his assessment of “Red Sox Nation” is accurate. It was created by the media machine of ESPN, which by the way happens to be located in New England. There weren’t Red Sox fans all over the country until 2004. You never used to see Red Sox hats anywhere, now they are all over. They are the epitome of bandwagon. Yes there are loyal fans up in New England, just like there are loyal Phillies fans in Philadelphia, etc. but this widespread dominance of “Red Sox Nation” is bandwagon.

As a Yankees fan I know about bandwagon, there are millions on it. The people who claim to be real Yankees fans, but can’t even tell me who was the SS before Jeter have no right to act like a die hard unless they are really young. The difference is the Yankees have had a national fan base due to their ridiculous amount of success over the 20th Century, the same goes for the Celtics in basketball, that is not the case with the Red Sox.

Oh and for the Red Sox…Curt Schilling out for the season…season ending shoulder surgury. Maybe he reinjured his shoulder wearing a Chad Pennington jersey the other day in Boston…

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;325718]

Speaking of Yaz, I remember watching Mike Yastremski play for the Durham Bulls…back around 1983 or 1984.[/QUOTE]

Go Bulls!! I probably saw him then too, but I was around 5 or 6 so I don’t remember.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;325737]I don’t care for Hank Steinbrenner much, but his assessment of “Red Sox Nation” is accurate. It was created by the media machine of ESPN, which by the way happens to be located in New England. There weren’t Red Sox fans all over the country until 2004. [/QUOTE]

You sure about that? Dan Shaughnessey wrote “Dispatches From Red Sox Nation” in 1996. I remember a SI baseball preview writing about how 80 year old “Nation” members were complaining to Dan Duquette that they were not getting any younger.

Not sure exactly where Bristol is in the state of Connecticut, but I know that is a very split Red Sox-Yankees state.

[QUOTE=Mike Niner Hunt;326091]You sure about that? Dan Shaughnessey wrote “Dispatches From Red Sox Nation” in 1996. I remember a SI baseball preview writing about how 80 year old “Nation” members were complaining to Dan Duquette that they were not getting any younger.

Not sure exactly where Bristol is in the state of Connecticut, but I know that is a very split Red Sox-Yankees state.[/QUOTE]

I’m not saying the term Red Sox Nation didn’t exist in general, but it didn’t always mean what they make it out to be now. New England has always had a strong Red Sox following, it is the Red Sox national following that is somewhat of a recent phenomenon.

The Boston Red Sox have been among Major League Baseball’s biggest road attractions in recent years, but since winning the World Series in 2004, their average road attendance has ranked first or second:

Year Avg. road attendance MLB rank (top-ranked team) American League rank (top-ranked team)

2000 31,170 9th (Cincinnati) 2nd (N.Y. Yankees)

2001 33,760 5th (San Francisco) 2nd (N.Y. Yankees)

2002 30,926 5th (N.Y. Yankees) 2nd (N.Y. Yankees)

2003 30,545 4th (N.Y. Yankees) 2nd (N.Y. Yankees)

2004 36,003 4th (N.Y. Yankees) 2nd (N.Y. Yankees)

2005 37,709 1st

2006 36,099 2nd (N.Y. Yankees) 2nd (N.Y. Yankees)

2007 39,136 1st

I couldn’t find data further back then 2000, but it shows what I figured it would show. The Red Sox were #2 behind the Yankees in AL visiting team attendence until they won the World Series.

Also since Yankee Stadium holds over 57k, while Fenway only holds around 35k, the numbers are somewhat skewed in favor of the Red Sox and against the Yankees to the tune of around 400k, which results in a change of close to 5k in total average attendance for both teams combined.

Not sure exactly where Bristol is in the state of Connecticut, but I know that is a very split Red Sox-Yankees state.[/QUOTE]

I used to live in Bristol, right down the street from espn hq. EVERYBODY is either a redsox or yankee fan. Sometimes you will meet an occasional met fan but any other team is very rare.

this is the exact reason why Mark Packer is a genius at the beginning of each hr he starts off with saying, “this is day 4122…” in regards to how long its been since the Cowboys have won a playoff game.

the bandwagoners think “my boys” are so great with TO, but it really has been a decade since they won a postseason game.

[URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080617][COLOR=black]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080617[/COLOR][/URL]

something else from the same writer…has nothing to do with bandwagon fans but i laughed for a good bit reading it

[QUOTE=Chisox17;325689]
This applies to 99% of all Red Sox and Cubs fans I know…[/QUOTE]

Funny Max. Enjoy the sweep, we’re going to return the favor this weekend.

Chicago White Sox:
2005 World Series Champions
2008 World Series Champions
:shades: