Basden: “Those six are going to haunt me.”

With free throws, nothing’s free

“Those six are going to haunt me.”
– Eddie Basden, after going 2-for-8 at the line against Rutgers. Read Jena’s story in Wednesday’s Observer.

well then hopefully he will do something about it and practice free throws until he can sink them in his sleep

Biggest thing is I hope he uses those 6 to motivate him and move on. We don’t need the team to still be thinking about Rutgers Saturday night at Valpo.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Nov 24 2004, 12:45 AM [b] Biggest thing is I hope he uses those 6 to motivate him and move on. We don't need the team to still be thinking about Rutgers Saturday night at Valpo. [/b]
I agree. That loss may come back to play a small role in March but the guys need to put it behind them and worry about the Crusaders. We need to play better ball away from the free throw line and then maybe we won't be put into a position where it becomes a deciding factor in the outcome. Had we not played so bad in the opening minutes of the 2nd half on Monday, then there's a chance we would have had the win sealed before the final two minutes.

This needs to be a statement game and one that jumpstarts some momentum as we prepare for some tough upcoming OOC games.

As a fan, it’s hard not to love Eddie. It’s ok man, we believe in you.

To Mike & Jenna - thanks. This is the type of between games story Run and I have been clamoring for these last several years. Please keep it up, during good times too.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Nov 24 2004, 08:24 AM [b] As a fan, it's hard not to love Eddie. It's ok man, we believe in you.

To Mike & Jenna - thanks. This is the type of between games story Run and I have been clamoring for these last several years. Please keep it up, during good times too. [/b]

Ditto on both points. Eddie had a very solid game other than the free throws. I’m sure he impressed the NBA scouts with his first half performance. Don’t worry about it Eddie (Great EDDIE chants at the game, btw). You are the GLUE.

Thanks for the follow-up story after the “free-throw fiasco”. One note on the story, I’d like to find out more on Eddie’s technique at the line. He stands a foot behind it and according to reports (I missed that one), take the ball behind his back prior to shooting it.

Oh yeah, one other note. It was front page sports with an excellent picture of Eddie after missing two free throws. It paints the picture perfectly. EXCELLENT!

I like Eddie and without his offensive scoring Monday we wouldn’t have been in the game but I don’t get how you can practice 100 times a day all summer then shoot 2-8 from the FT line. :wacko:

But everybody has a bad day every so often so I hope Eddie puts this behind him and moves on.

Jena rocks. Great job Mike…

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Nov 24 2004, 07:47 AM [b] I agree. That loss may come back to play a small role in March but the guys need to put it behind them and worry about the Crusaders. [/b]
My thoughts exactly. If we win out the rest of our out of conference games, which means winning at Indiana and beating Alabama, the Rutgers loss will be a distant memory.

But to avoid the 8/9 seed we have to take care of business in conference as well. That means not losing to St. Louis at their place, stealing a few on the road and holding our home court.

It’s a long season, and by no means over.

when you don’t get the job done you “lace em up a little tighter and come back another day” i think eddie is doing that.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Nov 24 2004, 08:24 AM [b] To Mike & Jenna - thanks. This is the type of between games story Run and I have been clamoring for these last several years. Please keep it up, during good times too. [/b]
What NA said! Seriously, mucho thanks to Mike and Jena for the all the ink the Niners are getting this season.

GO NINERS!!!

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Nov 24 2004, 08:24 AM [b] To Mike & Jenna - thanks. This is the type of between games story Run and I have been clamoring for these last several years. Please keep it up, during good times too. [/b]
Exactly. To me, stories like this are more appealing and satisfying that the status quo pre/post game matchup/review stories. Those are obviously a must but they're expected. It's stories like today that catch you off guard and make you feel good about something as disappointing as the loss we suffered. I wasn't anticipating anything in the paper until Saturday morning but this was a very nice suprise to find today. Keep more of those types of articles coming....good stuff.

One score from last night stressing the importance of FTs…

[b]Fairfield 59, Elon 58 (OT)

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) Terrence Todd forced overtime with two free throws in the final minute of regulation and Fairfield beat Elon 59-58 Tuesday.

Fairfield (2-1) made just one field goal in overtime, but Elon (1-3) missed three of four free throws in the extra period.[/b]

See that wasn’t so hard was it Persinger?

However, consistency is the key! Good job to the lady.

Excellent article.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner+Nov 24 2004, 10:03 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (MKNiner @ Nov 24 2004, 10:03 AM)

Good article. I have no complaints with the Observer this year and that is saying a lot. We must now hold up our end of the bargain.

Eddie is a great athlete and an asset to our program at all levels. His problem seems to be in his confidence with his shot (on and off the free throw line). Off the free throw line you can tell when he is thinking too much when shooting. He is more deliberate and seems to hesitate more than when he has no time to think and a natural flow to his shot.

I started noticing last year that he changes his stance at the free throw line a lot. At the end of last year he was actually standing about a foot behind the line and about a foot to the right. Now at the beginning of this year he is still about a foot off the line (but straight on) and is passing the ball around his back a couple of times till the end of the Rutgers game then he quit doing that. That is a big time head game. He is definitely thinking too much and psyching himself out if he thinks these actions have anything to do with making free throws. Common sense says 15 feet is an easier shot than 16 feet.

I do not care if you shoot 100 or 1000 free throws a day. If you do it different each time then it is a waste of time. I hope this is where the coaches come in. Good, fundamential, consistent technique should allow any D1 athlete to shoot at least 65%.

I hope Eddie gets it straight because we are going to need him a lot this year and I am sure teams watching tape on us will be forcing us to the line quite a bit.

What's that suppose to mean? NA, I thought you were the one that kept posting those pictures of dead horses being beaten. Wouldn't you know it. I've been doing all the work & now NA is trying to take all the credit.

Just kidding. I don’t care who takes the credit as long as the coverage improves. So far, it has.

B)

I too have been trilled with the coverage we have gotten so far in the Observer. VERY IMPRESSED!