Baseball - 2014 schedule

http://m.charlotte49ers.com/mobile/Schedule.dbml?SPID=44796&DB_OEM_ID=23200&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=363417&SPID=44796&DB_OEM_ID=23200

I’m VERY excited for that ECU series at the Hayes. Definitely going to try to catch all three games that weekend. The Tulane series will also be one to get excited about for 2014.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209318235&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://baseballnews.com/polls/ncaa-division-i/collegiate-baseball-2014-pre-season-div-i-poll/

Others receiving votes!

Rice is 17, ECU 38 and Southern Miss and FAU are also in the ORV category. Not a bad pre-season showing by C-USA.

[quote=“SteauA, post:4, topic:28412”]http://baseballnews.com/polls/ncaa-division-i/collegiate-baseball-2014-pre-season-div-i-poll/

Others receiving votes!

Rice is 17, ECU 38 and Southern Miss and FAU are also in the ORV category. Not a bad pre-season showing by C-USA.[/quote]

I thought I saw another CUSA team also receiving votes. Their first name starts with a “C” and they have just returned to CUSA after leaving in 2005.

[quote=“SteauA, post:4, topic:28412”]http://baseballnews.com/polls/ncaa-division-i/collegiate-baseball-2014-pre-season-div-i-poll/

Others receiving votes!

Rice is 17, ECU 38 and Southern Miss and FAU are also in the ORV category. Not a bad pre-season showing by C-USA.[/quote]

Looks like 1 person voted us 40th

One vote is better than no votes.

Since we are less than a month away from opening day, Here is my guess at an opening day line-up:

1 SS Creech
2 2B Hill
3 RF Elwood
4 1B Shive
5 C Lang
6 3B Gallello
7 DH Sherer
8 CF Dez Roberts
9 LF Dunnegan

Weekend Rotation will be Brock Hudgens and Ryan Butler on Friday and Saturday. The Sunday starter’s role will be between RH Corey Roberts and LH Jason Harris.

Thoughts?

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:8, topic:28412”]Since we are less than a month away from opening day, Here is my guess at an opening day line-up:

1 SS Creech
2 2B Hill
3 RF Elwood
4 1B Shive
5 C Lang
6 3B Gallello
7 DH Sherer
8 CF Dez Roberts
9 LF Dunnegan

Weekend Rotation will be Brock Hudgens and Ryan Butler on Friday and Saturday. The Sunday starter’s role will be between RH Corey Roberts and LH Jason Harris.

Thoughts?[/quote]

So, Brad’s going back to the outfield?

[quote=“919R, post:9, topic:28412”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:8, topic:28412”]Since we are less than a month away from opening day, Here is my guess at an opening day line-up:

1 SS Creech
2 2B Hill
3 RF Elwood
4 1B Shive
5 C Lang
6 3B Gallello
7 DH Sherer
8 CF Dez Roberts
9 LF Dunnegan

Thoughts?[/quote]

So, Brad’s going back to the outfield?[/quote]

Who knows, he was playing SS in the fall. I just think we need him out there since we lost almost everyone that played OF last season and we have more options in the middle infield. I would think that either Elwood or Mikal Hill could play out there. Before Creech got hurt last year he was starting at 2B and Elwood was in RF so I’m guessing we will go back with that. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:8, topic:28412”]Since we are less than a month away from opening day, Here is my guess at an opening day line-up:

1 SS Creech
2 2B Hill
3 RF Elwood
4 1B Shive
5 C Lang
6 3B Gallello
7 DH Sherer
8 CF Dez Roberts
9 LF Dunnegan

Thoughts?[/quote]

I think we could see Sherer hit higher in the order at some point in the year. He has a great swing and drove in a good amount of runs in the Fall World Series. I’m also excited to see Shive back in the lineup.

I feel with pitching that we’re set for Friday (Butler) and Saturday (Hudgens). I’d lean Butler on Friday because he has the best stuff on the team. We could see the Sunday starter change a lot, which could be a problem in this conference.

My guess at the lineup would be the same, with the exception of swapping Sherer and Gallelo. I’m excited to see us play a higher level of competition. I also feel we have given Hibbs a few more tools to compete in CUSA than he had the first time around, though we are sadly well behind our peers in this conference.

Regardless, this is an exciting time for the baseball program. We should see our talent level really rise with moving to a big time baseball conference.

7 of top 100 prospects for mlb play HERE this spring

I only know of 2 pitchers ever sniff 95mph…maine and harvey
We have one on staff that touched 96 in fall.

[quote=“Card49, post:13, topic:28412”]I only know of 2 pitchers ever sniff 95mph…maine and harvey
We have one on staff that touched 96 in fall.[/quote]

You’re talking about Butler, right? King was telling me that his stuff absolutely pops in the glove. Said it was a joy to catch him.

[quote=“Card49, post:13, topic:28412”]I only know of 2 pitchers ever sniff 95mph…maine and harvey

Yep.

[font=helvetica neue][size=14px]Charlotte[/size][/font][font=helvetica neue][size=14px] righthander Ryan Butler was generating some draft buzz after reaching 96 mph on scout day. Butler, a Charlotte native who went to Marshall out of high school, did not pitch last year at Central Piedmont (N.C.) CC while recovering from Tommy John surgery, but he worked out for the Yankees before the draft and was selected in the 16th round. Butler has worked consistently in the 93-94 range this fall and shows the makings of a plus changeup. His breaking ball remains underdeveloped but is making progress. Butler’s control is ahead of his command, but his 6-foot-6 frame and arm strength are tantalizing, and his feel for pitching should continue to improve under the tutelage of head coach Loren Hibbs and pitching coach Brandon Hall.[/size][/font]

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/fall-ball-notebook/

I forgot Brion Treadway. He was 93-94

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:15, topic:28412”][quote=“Card49, post:13, topic:28412”]I only know of 2 pitchers ever sniff 95mph…maine and harvey

Yep.

[font=helvetica neue][size=14px]Charlotte[/size][/font][font=helvetica neue][size=14px] righthander Ryan Butler was generating some draft buzz after reaching 96 mph on scout day. Butler, a Charlotte native who went to Marshall out of high school, did not pitch last year at Central Piedmont (N.C.) CC while recovering from Tommy John surgery, but he worked out for the Yankees before the draft and was selected in the 16th round. Butler has worked consistently in the 93-94 range this fall and shows the makings of a plus changeup. His breaking ball remains underdeveloped but is making progress. Butler’s control is ahead of his command, but his 6-foot-6 frame and arm strength are tantalizing, and his feel for pitching should continue to improve under the tutelage of head coach Loren Hibbs and pitching coach Brandon Hall.[/size][/font]

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/fall-ball-notebook/[/quote]

Sounds like a solid prospect for us, may have some control issues but maybe he will be effectively wild.

Tough to say where will end up this season since C-USA has so many new teams. I expect to be in the middle of the pack somewhere. Top 8 make the Tourney.

Here are the final RPIs from last year FWIW.

FAU* 24 41-22 Sun Belt- NCAA Regional
Rice 26 44-20 C-USA - NCAA Super Regional
ECU* 84 31-26 C-USA
MTSU* 94 28-28 Sun Belt
USM* 105 30-27 C-USA
UTSA* 110 35-25 WAC - NCAA Regional
ODU* 113 29-24 CAA
CHARLOTTE* 120 36-23 A-10
Tulane* 128 30-28 C-USA
FIU* 154 26-32 Sun Belt
UAB* 168 23-36 C-USA
Marshall 229 20-34 C-USA
Louisiana Tech *256 19-37 WAC

1 SS Creech
2 2B Hill
3 RF Elwood
4 1B Shive
5 C Lang
6 3B Gallello
7 DH Sherer
8 CF Dez Roberts
9 LF Dunnegan

Thoughts?[/quote]

For start of the season, the position assignments look very reasonable.

I like the #2,3,4,5 and 9 spots in the order.

I would like to see some live games with Roberts in the leadoff spot. May not work, but I’d like to see something better than the Canadian exhibition to judge that. Need to see some more ABs from Sherer before really stating an opinion on him.

As far as pitching, I’m really interested to see Brock against C-USA players.

Butler on Friday? Maybe. I like Hudgens experience at this level for now to pitch on Friday. I could change my opinion after seeing Butler in some games.

Sunday starter? I think its pretty wide open for now.