Baseball Schedule Question

I was getting pretty excited about the upcoming baseball season and was going to buy a couple of season tickets.
My 10 year old and I caught a couple of games last year and planned on watching more this year.

Some of you baseball old timers help me out.

Does this years home schedule suck?

There is not much to get excited about.

Has it been this bad since we joined the A10?

I thought we had a strong baseball program, but our home schedule does not reflect it.

The NCAA changed the scheduling for baseball. You’re going to see more series between teams instead of single games. You get what you can schedule.

With that, 12 of the 49ers’ 32 home games are against A-10 teams. Wake Forest, Western Carolina, Winthrop and UNC-Chapel Hill are all local teams who traditionally have been decent squads come to campus.

I thought we had a strong baseball program, but our home schedule does not reflect it.

Ummm we have an awesome baseball program!

We have traditionally scheduled teams from up north that can’t play home games until April because of the cold weather. It stinks but everybody does it. We play Carolina, Wake, Va Tech usually at home almost every year. When we were in CUSA (and even the Metro), it didn’t matter as much because that league was so strong.

Now that we’re in such a lousy baseball conference, I would really like to see us have one home series every year with one of these teams - ECU, Wilmington, Elon, Charleston, or Coastal.

[QUOTE=ebncrdr49er;384271]Ummm we have an awesome baseball program![/QUOTE]

I won’t got that far.

Awesome? No.

Respectable? Yes.

We have traditionally scheduled teams from up north that can't play home games until April because of the cold weather. It stinks but everybody does it. We play Carolina, Wake, Va Tech usually at home almost every year. When we were in CUSA (and even the Metro), it didn't matter as much because that league was so strong.

Now that we’re in such a lousy baseball conference, I would really like to see us have one home series every year with one of these teams - ECU, Wilmington, Elon, Charleston, or Coastal.

Coastal would be sweet. I remember them knocking off Clemson 2 years ago in the regionals.

Does anyone know a good place I might read up on how a team did in past years? I really don’t know much about a lot of our opponents.

I won't got that far.

Awesome? No.

Respectable? Yes.

respectable???..much more than respectable

[QUOTE=919R;384275]respectable???..much more than respectable[/QUOTE]

Really? We have made the NCAA’s the last 2 years, which is very respectable. We have a good baseball program, but awesome programs advance to the super regionals every few years. We have never advanced that far. We only won our 1st ever NCAA tournament game two years ago down in Columbia.

We are playing a weekend series at Clemson this season and they are returning the weekend series here next year.

The weekend home weekend schedule doesn’t look that great, but it didn’t stop me from getting my season tickets.

[U][B]2006, 07, 08 we are the 4th winningest program in the NCAA[/B][/U]
[URL]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/ncch/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/09BSBQuickFacts[/URL]

considering there are 300+ teams, I’d say thats pretty [U][B]awesome[/B][/U]

we also now have a top 40 stadium and-- better than many BCS facilities, thats fairly [U][B]awesome[/B]
[/U]
you don’t just wave a magic wand to get the best teams here…its sort of the problem hoops had 10 yrs ago when nobody wanted to play here and get beat.

[B]oh yeah, and we have a potential national POY[/B] playing 1B in Rob Lyerly, 15 HR 76 RBI and 375avg last yr .
(not much to get excited about ehh?)

[QUOTE=metro;384308][U][B]2006, 07, 08 we are the 4th winningest program in the NCAA[/B][/U]
[URL]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/ncch/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/09BSBQuickFacts[/URL]

considering there are 300+ teams, I’d say thats pretty [U][B]awesome[/B][/U]

we also now have a top 40 stadium and-- better than many BCS facilities, thats fairly [U][B]awesome[/B]
[/U]
you don’t just wave a magic wand to get the best teams here…its sort of the problem hoops had 10 yrs ago when nobody wanted to play here and get beat.

[B]oh yeah, and we have a potential national POY[/B] playing 1B in Rob Lyerly, 15 HR 76 RBI and 375avg last yr .
(not much to get excited about ehh?)[/QUOTE]

Metro, I know that you are the resident expert for the baseball program.
I am well aware of all of the things you state but my point is about the bad schedule this year.
You follow the program closely, what is your opinion on our home schedule this year?

[QUOTE=metro;384308][U][B]2006, 07, 08 we are the 4th winningest program in the NCAA[/B][/U]

considering there are 300+ teams, I’d say thats pretty [U][B]awesome[/B][/U][/QUOTE]

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/currentisr.html

I think our SOS has had a ton to do with us having the 4th most wins in the NCAA over the last 3 years. Couldn’t find our SOS for '06 and '07, but I would guess that it would be around the same range. No coincidence that those 3 years have been spent in the A-10. Our 2005 record was 31-23 overall and 13-17 in CUSA (obviously, much better competition).

[QUOTE]you don’t just wave a magic wand to get the best teams here…its sort of the problem hoops had 10 yrs ago when nobody wanted to play here and get beat.[/QUOTE]

I agree. None of the “big boys” want to come here for a series and get beat 2 out of 3. I still would love to see a series with an Elon or a Charleston over Oakland or LeMoyne. If Clemson is indeed returning the favor next season and coming here, that’s awesome.

[QUOTE][B]oh yeah, and we have a potential national POY[/B] playing 1B in Rob Lyerly, 15 HR 76 RBI and 375avg last yr .
(not much to get excited about ehh?)[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about not being excited? I can’t wait for baseball. Got my season tix again.

[U][B]2006, 07, 08 we are the 4th winningest program in the NCAA[/B][/U] [URL]http://charlotte49ers.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/ncch/sports/m-basebl/auto_pdf/09BSBQuickFacts[/URL]

considering there are 300+ teams, I’d say thats pretty awesome

we also now have a top 40 stadium and-- better than many BCS facilities, thats fairly awesome

oh yeah, and we have a potential national POY playing 1B in Rob Lyerly, 15 HR 76 RBI and 375avg last yr .
(not much to get excited about ehh?)

I support my previous statement. I cant wait till the first home game!

Metro, I know that you are the resident expert for the baseball program. I am well aware of all of the things you state but my point is about the bad schedule this year. You follow the program closely, what is your opinion on our home schedule this year?
I'd say the sked is weak at home. The problem is we have turned into a program that blackens the eye of BCS teams routinely (USC, NCSU, Wake, Va Tech, etc) and they don't chomp at the bit to play us in CLT. When you are a doormat, anyone will play you.

as ususal the BCS power teams around the south load up there sked with 2 types of teams: cupcakes and other BCS teams so if they lose, at least its to a fellow SEC or ACC team for RPI purposes. We are good, and if you lose to us, our league will just drag you down too.

its a real cunundrum

if anyone has a Google calendar I have uploaded all the home games into the calendar…all you have to do is search for “baseball” under search public folders and this will add it to your calendar.

as ususal the BCS power teams around the south load up there sked with 2 types of teams: [U]cupcakes and other BCS teams[/U] so if they lose, at least its to a fellow SEC or ACC team for RPI purposes. We are good, and if you lose to us, our league will just drag you down too.

By that theory why does anyone play Davidson in basketball, it’s the same thing.

By that theory why does anyone play Davidson in basketball, it's the same thing.
When does anyone play Davidson in Belk?
When does anyone play Davidson in Belk?

Never. That’s what TWC Arena is for.

[QUOTE=EE9er;384330]By that theory why does anyone play Davidson in basketball, it’s the same thing.[/QUOTE]
That’s not remotely close

Davidson was 0-life vs top 100 rpi until last year. They had never beat a real team until March 08. Any big game this year was inked months before their run. Not top mention fans in every corner of the US want to see Curry in person now. The kid sells tix. Let’s not hijack, there’s 50 threads about Davidson.

Really? We have made the NCAA's the last 2 years, which is very respectable. We have a good baseball program, but awesome programs advance to the super regionals every few years. We have never advanced that far. We only won our 1st ever NCAA tournament game two years ago down in Columbia.

Did I say we were awesome? No, but respectable is .500 ball, IMO. We are higher than respectable, but lower than “Awesome”. There is some territory in between, you know…“Respectable” is an insult to what this team has done over the last 2-3 years, IMO.