Baseball Team Sweeps Doubleheader

The baseball team won 2 more today by beating Fordham.

Final game is tomorrow.

Woohoo!

Make that a 3-game series SWEEP. 6 straight wins heading into the A-10 tourney next weekend in the Bronx. 4th seed playing SLU.

Live audio and video for the tournament.

Check out charlotte49ers.com.

We wound up #120 in the pseudo-RPI rankings and the A-10 is #21 in the conference rankings. Rhode Island is #103 and Dayton is #140. We figured it to be a one-bid league for baseball, so now it’s time to go get it.

[URL=http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html][B][U][COLOR=Blue]Boyd’s World: Division I College Baseball Pseudo-RPI[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL]

[QUOTE=X-49er;174525]We wound up #120 in the pseudo-RPI rankings…[/QUOTE]

Does that mean the basketball team was better than the baseball team? Even so, I guess the baseball team still has a good chance at the NCAA.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;174530]Does that mean the basketball team was better than the baseball team? Even so, I guess the baseball team still has a good chance at the NCAA.[/QUOTE]

No, the baseball team was better than the basketball team. We make the NCAA’s only if we win the conference tourney. I feel good about our chances.

[QUOTE=X-49er;174525]We wound up #120 in the pseudo-RPI rankings and the A-10 is #21 in the conference rankings. Rhode Island is #103 and Dayton is #140. We figured it to be a one-bid league for baseball, so now it’s time to go get it.

[URL=http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html][B][U][COLOR=Blue]Boyd’s World: Division I College Baseball Pseudo-RPI[/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL][/QUOTE]

baseball does more with less- compared to our hoops team. we currently have a 120 RPI and our facility is about #300 or worse (I know there are alot of juco, naia, and d3 schools with better baseball facilities). Our basketball team has a top 30 facility and 120 or so RPI the past year. Always compare facilities to achievement- if you want to judge how a program is performing. Heck our soccer team used to be #3 in America with a horrific facility back in the early 90’s, now that was performance.

You will see baseball improve drastically on the field. I suspect our new facility will be top 30-50 in the country, and we will get some studs coming to play here that we can now recruit.

baseball does more with less- compared to our hoops team. we currently have a 120 RPI and our facility is about #300 or worse (I know there are alot of juco, naia, and d3 schools with better baseball facilities). Our basketball team has a top 30 facility and 120 or so RPI the past year. Always compare facilities to achievement- if you want to judge how a program is performing. Heck our soccer team used to be #3 in America with a horrific facility back in the early 90's, now that was performance.

You will see baseball improve drastically on the field. I suspect our new facility will be top 30-50 in the country, and we will get some studs coming to play here that we can now recruit.

yeah but since then we have died in soccer. bring back the ol’ ball coach. he was a genius. lipsitz is going to make the girls soccer team insanely talented this year. i think he’s bring the entire chess board to plate and is going to orchestrate one of the most brilliant chess performance we’ve ever seen.

[QUOTE=metro;174543]You will see baseball improve drastically on the field. I suspect our new facility will be top 30-50 in the country[/QUOTE]

I can’t wait. I thought we looked pretty darn impressive most of the time this year but it seemed like relief pitching hurt us a little.

[QUOTE=metro;174543]baseball does more with less- compared to our hoops team. we currently have a 120 RPI and our facility is about #300 or worse (I know there are alot of juco, naia, and d3 schools with better baseball facilities). Our basketball team has a top 30 facility and 120 or so RPI the past year. Always compare facilities to achievement- if you want to judge how a program is performing. Heck our soccer team used to be #3 in America with a horrific facility back in the early 90’s, now that was performance.

You will see baseball improve drastically on the field. I suspect our new facility will be top 30-50 in the country, and we will get some studs coming to play here that we can now recruit.[/QUOTE]

Metro,

Are we going to be able to recruit guys to come play against mostly Northern Teams in the A10? It looks like a hard sell to me.

[QUOTE=BigTimeNiner;174567]Metro,

Are we going to be able to recruit guys to come play against mostly Northern Teams in the A10? It looks like a hard sell to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree you won’t excite anyone with the A10, but it should allow for more chanpiohships and NCAA appearances. I still believe a first class facility trumps conference affiliation. Players don’t want to play on goat tracks at big schools like UVA or NCSU used to have. They want to play in minor league style ballyards that that win alot and play in the NCAA.

i’d play on any old sandlot any day but that is just me.

I hate playing on the sandlot…James Earl Jones damn dog is always eating your homers!!!

And can stay home where mom, dad, grandparents, everyone can see all the games. (I think the baseball/softball families are big on that). There’s a lot of local talent available.

butler and the big I have produced a lot of guys lately as well as north meck and hopewell.

I don’t see a great stadium as being the fix-all for our program. It may help us get an extra quality pitcher every other year, but I wouldn’t count on it. We’ve had 4 pitchers get drafted since 2000 that I know of, so we have had some talent. The problem is we haven’t had much depth in the rotation or bullpen though, and that’s what you have to have if you’re going to win big at the DI level. A new stadium may help with that, but the coaching/recruiting/scouting of talent must also be improved. The hitting hasn’t been too bad, but the pitching as a team has stunk the last 5 years before this one. The pitching this season seemed to be improved, but our strength of schedule also did wonders for the team ERA. It also didn’t hurt the RPG or BA statistics, but those improvements were small compared to the sharp drop in ERA. I hope the pitching has improved that much, but it’s hard to tell with a weak schedule.

Team ERA By Season with Strength of Schedule, RPG and Batting Average

2001 - 6.03 SOS = 78 Runs Per Game = 5.7 BA = .283
2002 - 6.66 SOS = 59 Runs Per Game = 5.8 BA = .281
2003 - 5.94 SOS = 98 Runs Per Game = 6.5 BA = .292
2004 - 6.03 SOS = 90 Runs Per Game = 5.8 BA = .288
2005 - 5.41 SOS = 139 Runs Per Game = 7.2 BA = .303
2006 - 3.59 SOS = 230 Runs Per Game = 8.0 BA = .318

Our non-conference strength of schedule this season was #210. I realize the A-10 is going to pull the overall SOS down, but we should be playing a non-conference SOS that is at least Top 100 every year. Unlike basketball, we know that the A-10 has always been (and likely will continue to be) a one-bid league. Therefore, we need to schedule lots more big dogs outside of conference to at least give ourselves a chance to get an at-large bid. Winthrop, Coastal Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, College of Charleston, and Clemson are all within driving distance and are traditionally good teams. If the travel budget is an issue, then let’s drive to these schools and play some road series instead of single weekday games. I’m not saying that we have to go play Miami, Florida State, Texas, Rice, etc., to build up our SOS, but we can’t keep playing these northern teams that we know are terrible just to get lackluster victories and home games. Until we can get some big name teams to come to our house for a three-game series, we need to go to theirs to learn how to play on the road and improve our SOS. Who knows, if we win a few of those we will fare just as well as losing a few to LeMoyne, A&T, and Siena. Having played good out-of-conference teams we hopefully wouldn’t lose road series to the likes of Dayton and St. Bonaventure having played stud teams on the road previously.

[QUOTE=X-49er;174584]I don’t see a great stadium as being the fix-all for our program. It may help us get an extra quality pitcher every other year, but I wouldn’t count on it. We’ve had 4 pitchers get drafted since 2000 that I know of, so we have had some talent. The problem is we haven’t had much depth in the rotation or bullpen though, and that’s what you have to have if you’re going to win big at the DI level. A new stadium may help with that, but the coaching/recruiting/scouting of talent must also be improved. .[/QUOTE]

I could not disagree more. I don’t think you have seen the stadiums that surround us. UNCG is unreal, Winthrop is amazing, and I have not even got to the big name schools. I think Hibbs is a miracle worker- that we have won at all, or got anyone drafted with the craphole we have played in. You think 4 draftees since 2000 is good talent? Its not. You can’t get depth in a bullpen or bat girls without a nice facility. Hibbs and staff know tha expectations will raise considerably with the facility, they have been begging for it a long time promising results becasue whenever they step into a recruits living room, they are a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.

[QUOTE=metro;174587]UNCG is unreal, Winthrop is amazing, and I have not even got to the big name schools.[/QUOTE]
UNCG’s [URL=http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5300&KEY=&ATCLID=233841&SPID=2217&SPSID=34687][B]baseball stadium[/B][/URL] is wonderful, heck their [URL=http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5300&KEY=&ATCLID=234545&SPID=2218&SPSID=34691][B]softball stadium[/B][/URL] (new for this year) would make Charlotte’s baseball field look second rate.

Note: Charlotte grad and former assistant Jennifer Herzig is the head coach at UNCG.

If Charlotte were still in CUSA, a new stadium would be a great selling point for recruiting. I am not sure it will have that affect on recruits now, since most DI schools upgraded their baseball stadiums years ago.

[QUOTE=metro;174587]I could not disagree more. I don’t think you have seen the stadiums that surround us. UNCG is unreal, Winthrop is amazing, and I have not even got to the big name schools. I think Hibbs is a miracle worker- that we have won at all, or got anyone drafted with the craphole we have played in. You think 4 draftees since 2000 is good talent? Its not. You can’t get depth in a bullpen or bat girls without a nice facility. Hibbs and staff know tha expectations will raise considerably with the facility, they have been begging for it a long time promising results becasue whenever they step into a recruits living room, they are a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.[/QUOTE]

We’ll agree to disagree for now. When Hibbs gets his new stadium, we’ll see if that’s what he’s truly been missing. If the basketball team had his results over the past five seasons, with or without said facilities, Lutz would not still be our head coach. I hope our stadium is better than UNCG’s. They have only a few more seats than we currently do and the outfield wall looks terrible. I went to a game there 3-4 years ago when Charlotte played them, and I wasn’t impressed with the stadium. The field was nice, but the stadium was ho-hum. Their stadium was brand new then as well. It hasn’t helped them achieve much post-season success (or regular season) yet, either, but I’m sure Gaski is begging for a baseball training facility and saying that will spring them to the NCAA Tourney each year. Below are some pictures of UNCG’s field.