Basketball 2019-2020

why not? our current freshmen look promising and the incoming class is the top in the league.

troll

I think weā€™ve lost 3 games by two possessions and 3 by one, with this roster and
a first year coachā€¦weā€™re not ā€œmilesā€ away IMO.
Iā€™m not writing us off as un-curable just yet.

4 Likes

totally agree. how many more wins would we have if we had one consistent three point shooter?

2 Likes

Yes we can get close to winning games, but can we really win out in the conference tourney? Consistency is our issue.

While this point seems hard to argue, I think there is a counter-argument to be made (with SOME merit to it) as follows: Charlotte came from a top 5-6 conference (CUSA 1.0) and then a top 7-8 conference (A10) with multiple bids most every year and usually at least 1-2 top 25 teams (or more). We became spoiled with that and benefitted (in recruiting) from being aligned with and playing those BIG NAME schools. It brought us up several notches and we sustained it pretty well for ~15 years. it became expected. Fast forward to this league, which is comprised mostly of teams that have never had this experience (with the exception of UAB, but even they were never as spoiled as we were because they didnā€™t have near as much success during those years as we did (they did have better years than us in the 80s though). The point of all this is that most of the teams in CUSA 3.0 are right where they have always been (in a 1-bid league) and in some cases, this league is even better than where they have been in the past (UTSA, FIU, FAU, etc). Those teams are probably recruting better now because of it, while we have fallen down the conference heirarchy a LONG way. This may be the best those teams will ever be. For us (and our fans) this is as bad as it has ever been.

We certainly could have managed it better, but the multiple coaching changes and the improvements made by some area teams (Davidson) over this same time period have combined for the perfect storm against our program. It sucks, but thats the way it is, IMO. However, we can and will (I think with Sanchez) get much of the way back. I will say, I was wrong about Price. I hope I am not wrong about Sanchez.

I donā€™t have any issue with Sanchez. We have been playing freshman a ton this year so I donā€™t consider them ā€œfreshmanā€. We have multiple guys sitting out who are in the ā€œcultureā€. If we barely get double digit wins, I will be extremely disappointed.

Iā€™d like to see some real progress next year with a more full roster and a year of coaching under everyoneā€™s belts. That said, 2020 to me is the year. If we arenā€™t winning 20 games in 2020, I think we will probably be a failure. I really want Sanchez to work out, and I actually think he will, but we canā€™t be middling around a crappy CUSA in 2020 and expect to be good any time soon after that.

[quote=ā€œs9er, post:34, topic:33624, full:trueā€]
Ninerken- you have your measuring stick, Iā€™ll have mine- and it will be very short sighted (This might be blasphemous around here, but Mullins isnā€™t the guy I want to measure Sanchez againstā€¦ Give me Wat or Lutz and WIN NCAA games) I hope Sanchez is as lucky with one of next years class (with Dink I mean, we could use a game changer like that
[/quote] To me, itā€™s not a fair measure. Watkins and Lutz, both inherited well-established programs in much better conferences. Put either of those guys in Mullinsā€™ or Sanchezā€™ positions, and they arenā€™t winning consistently like that, nor making the tournament so often. What Mullins did was pretty amazing (lucky, good coaching, probably some of both).

Itā€™s obviously your choice. I used to get annoyed with fans griping so much about losing in the 2nd round of the NCAAā€™s, it always seemed like they were missing out on enjoying really good seasons. Iā€™ll appreciate if Sanchez can get us back towards the top of this conference at least, beyond that and it would be equally amazing to me as what Mullins pulled off.

I talked with someone from the AD office last week and they told me it is night and day with Sanchez versus Price or Major. Sanchez is in charge and other teams are starting to take notice. Jeff Jones from ODU told us last week he was amazed at how much harder we are playing this year than in years past and he was very impressed with the 2019 recruiting class. They were trying to get the PG out of Maryland as well. We have had other schools made comments about this yearā€™s team and the improvement from the beginning of the year and the recruiting class.

we have received a decent amount of press about our upcoming recreuiting class, inlcuding from paul biancardi on espn during the dematha game. people understand that we have talent coming in.

Its tough to be patient when its been 15 years, but weā€™re under the leadership of a new admin (Hill). Even though this season has sucked, Iā€™m not sure what other outcome everyone expected.

Sanchez had been pushing to the media this would be a year of learning, and thats what weā€™re seeing. Next year, its time for us to start competing.

To me, notice I said ME lol, we have to win at least 16 next year. I feel like 18 or so is where I want to see the team. If we cant win 16, it means the guys we have in just arenā€™t going to be what we desire. I expect Sheppard, Vasic, Williams and Carawell to hold us up. If they can make the offense flow, we have to be better.

I think Younger and Malik are going to be good pieces. Unfortunately I dont see it in Milos. But if he works hard in the off season he could turn a corner. But right now he holds us back, doesnt play physical enough and doesnt finish around the rim. But we have had some guys flourish their junior/senior year. If you told me Basden would be CPOY his freshman year I would have laughed hard.

The key to me on the wins is it keeps the guys motivated. We lost good pieces with Major because when other schools got in our good players heads, they couldnā€™t see us winning more than we were. We have got to show our players and fans next season that we can win

Best optimistic take on Milos is that big men take the longest to develop. Most donā€™t usually blossom til year 3, aside from the guys just stopping in on their way to the league. Maybe a little deeper supporting cast will help things click for Milosā€¦ If not, he plays hard.

i like milos better than most but agree that he has his limitations. part of his lack of physicality may be bc he is basically the only big and cannot afford to be in foul trouble. he has a nice touch around the rim and is a good offensive rebounder and is a very good passer. those, to me, are his biggest strengths. he would benefit greatly from a shotblocking big that can take pressure off him. i agree with above post that 16 wins is the minimum for next season that i would consider acceptable.

I missed the Final Four by one year, but have been here for all the good seasons since then, and the best basketball experience I have ever had was our second round NCAA loss to UNC-CHeat in overtime. 80% of the arena was pulling for us, the place was nuts, and we almost won it. The second round is great. (I will let you know about the third round when I get there.)

So some of you think/expect possibly a 10+ game win jump next year after losing our senior leading scorer that accounts for 33% of our scoring and of our 5 wins this year carried us to whatā€¦ 3 of those?

Hey I hope we win 20. But when thinking of reasonable goals which in my opinion means more than a 50% chance of happening, I just donā€™t see it. Absolutely no one on the team right now gives me confident they will be the difference maker next year. That means yā€™all are shooting for the moon in unproven recruits and a transfer with less than thriller stats.

If Sanchez gets us to 13 regular season wins next year, 18 wins in year 3 and 21+ wins in year 4, I think that would be a huge success.

What percentage of shots does he take? Scoring a lot while shooting a lot can be replaced. Scoring a lot while not shooting a lot is harder.

1 Like

Not as easy as that. Davis takes pressure off of the other guys when they do shoot since he has the best defender on him or double teamed. Davis Fg% better than Younger, Martin, Robb and Mangum.

If we win 15 games next year, none of those guys will lead the team in scoring.

We are going to win 8 games.