Basketball 2019-2020

8 games? wow, you are pessimistic. we are playing this season with a new coach and an almost new team and no depth. that should not be an issue next season. also, i think a lot of guys are hesistant to shoot because davis is on the floor. i love davis but these guys will also have an entire offseason to improve without him. we act like none of our current guys can get better.

I was being sarcastic. I said earlier 12 wins is a disappointment IMO.

I can definitely see that POV, but my issue is we have about 4 to 5 players this year. Losing Davis will be huge, but the guys coming in I think will be head and shoulders above what we have. I mean we are playing Bo, kitoko?, and McGill big minutes this year. No offense to them, they just arenā€™t legit D1 talent. They are filling because we have no one.

clt says we have the best recruiting class in our conference in sanchezā€™s First year, we will be fine

Also something to hope for, recruiting should get easier for Sanchez year after year as the records and conference standing improves. Selling a kid on a bottom ncaa team and bottom cusa team canā€™t be a cake walk. Sanchez is recruiting right now with a 5-15 record. I would assume recruiting with a 15-5 record is a bit easier.

3 Likes

I canā€™t wait to get some reliable big men like Virginia had.

Selling a kid on 30 mpg in any conference is easier than selling a kid on 15 - 20 mpg in CUSA. I hope that it gets easier, but when the playing time is crowded it may get tougher. Weā€™ll see, but we will have some transfers and that will open some doors.

any early guesses on transfers out?

I am thinking 1 that we donā€™t think will have a future impact and 1 that we do. 2 transfers at a minimum.

iā€™m thinking that we might have several because we are now running a very demanding, unconventional D and the focus is slightly off the O. some good athletes might get caught in this and decide that another system is better suited for them. hate to loose athletes, but Sanchezā€™s system will have to be built, not just ā€œinstalledā€.

I donā€™t think over 1 will transfer just because of the closer to home variety.

Mangum is gone IMO.

Cooper I think COULD leave if he reads the tea leaves on playing time.

unfortunately, i canā€™t watch the games so iā€™m going on what i hear (games) and read.
i get the sense that robb is a tough guy and might stick for that reason. not so sure abt magnum.
i get the impression that sanchez looks for skill, character, and mind-set. so a tougher guy with slightly less skill might sit down another who is not such a dog.

I hope neither of those guys leaveā€¦

Mangum and/or McGill are my transfer guesses.

I donā€™t see Cooper Robb transferring after this year. But maybe after next year if his playing time decreases enough.

I donā€™t think we are saying we hope they leave, just that if you assume some will leave id look at them. Iā€™d also consider who were Price recruits because they didnā€™t sign up for this style of play.

I forgot about McGill - Iā€™d out him a maybe too.

Yeah, it isnā€™t that we hope that we have transfers, but that is just what the world of college hoops is now. I am not going to try to guess who, but I think 2 - 3 that are on the roster this season will not be there next season. This is why having a strong recruiting class each year is important. Sanchez did a good job with next yearā€™s freshmen. He canā€™t let the no schollies available today stop his efforts.

Transfers out or not, we need to get back to having a FULL team of 13 scholarship players each season (or at least near it). Other schools seem to be able to do that. Hopefully, we will get back to that.

My thoughts, and the three I think to watch are marked with ā€˜**ā€™. In the end, I think it will be Mangum, and possibly McGill.

• Jailan Haslem - graduates
  • Jon Davis - graduates
  • John Kitoko - Jr walk-on, donā€™t think he transfers, donā€™t think it matters
  • Jordan Shepherd - Jr transfer, he is using his redshirt year this year, going nowhere
  • Bo Blight - RS Soph walk-on, going nowhere
  • Luka Vasic - Soph, he is using his redshirt year this year, going nowhere
  • ** Milos Supica - Soph, could transfer, but unless he moves down I am not sure his options are better**
  • ** Jaylan McGill - Soph, transferring down to a program could give him more playing time**
  • Tyler Bertram - Fresh, using his redshirt year this year, going nowhere
  • Brandon Younger - Fresh, things are going well for him, I would be surprised if he left
  • ** Dravon Mangum - Fresh, seems like he is not fitting in, and transferring a real possibility**
  • Malik Martin - Fresh, he is trending up since he came back from injury, but he might feel like next yearā€™s players could keep him on the bench. I suspect he stays.
  • Cooper Robb - Fresh, while he could leave, I think he signed on for Sanchez
2 Likes

I agree with this entire post nugget. good summary. I do think the 10 commandments of ninerhood are going to dictate that somebody we arenā€™t expecting will transfer.