Be careful on Campus

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/15132160.htm

A gang of thugs is roaming campus and campus police is no where to be found, shocking!!!

They were probably doing something really important like passing out parking tickets…

A gang of thugs is roaming campus and campus police is no where to be found, shocking!!!!

They were probably doing something really important like passing out parking tickets…

Man, I’ve never seen them even get out of their cars…

And, how can you patrol the center of campus (library, Belk quad, etc.) from the road?

they have bike cops, however, the extent of thier effectiveness has yet to be deturmined

i saw a group of like 8-10 guys matching the description walking outside of campus last weekend, wonder if they were the culprits.

and just for the record, id love to see the campus cops patrolling more often, and less engaged in the 2 car get togethers deep in vacant parking lots.

campus police is ****ing worthless…fat ****s

and just for the record, id love to see the campus cops patrolling more often, and less engaged in the 2 car get togethers deep in vacant parking lots.

No doubt! What in the world are they doing out there anyway?

When I lived in Squires, 2 (if not 3) police would park beside each other in the parking lot and talk for 45 minutes…just sitting there

When I lived in Squires, 2 (if not 3) police would park beside each other in the parking lot and talk for 45 minutes...just sitting there

I’ve seen that too. It’s ridiculous. Nice security for everyone…

the area around campus is just as dangerous too. There was a shooting murder here at UWalk right b4 I moved in. there have been rapes, assults, and shots fired on or around the UWalk property. I’m tellin you, its that damn low income housing around here. And this thug crime stuff is only going to get worse as Meth spreads and grows more prevalent. And its even worse because dressing like a thug is in now so you can’t tell who it is easily.

I don’t mean to sound like an old man, but when I was in school in the late 80’s, the school and the University area was a fairly safe, nice area to live in. Then came government subsidized and public housing and after that, came the North Tryon, inner city migration. God how that has changed the area in the last 10 years!

One of the reasons I moved from that area several years ago was the exploding crime rate. After my home got broken into, a police officer advised me to move out of the area as it was “not very safe anymore”. It’s sad, very sad.

finally the university begins to spread and grow and then this stuff has to happen.

its what you get when you build way to many apartments in one area. the market saturates and the apartment complexes lower their standards and begin to take in gov’t subsidized renters.

The campus rent a cops have never been very effective. That goes back to the 70’s when I was there.

Even back then, we had a few incidents but nothing like gangs roaming the campus.

I worked at the bookstore for a while then and there was a big shoplifting problem. Is that still going on?

The campus rent a cops have never been very effective. That goes back to the 70's when I was there.

Even back then, we had a few incidents but nothing like gangs roaming the campus.

I worked at the bookstore for a while then and there was a big shoplifting problem. Is that still going on?

The cops now are supposed to be real Charlotte police. The problem is that the hoodlums come in from the low income housing areas and you can’t stop them. They arnt trespassing. The campus is so big and the cops only stay on the streets, so these punks can do whatever on the areas near the center of campus. I’ve never seen a bike cop here at school in my 2 years here.

I’ve not heard anything about a shoplifting problem at the bookstore.

It sucks to hear about this stuff over and over again…and I hate seeing the warnings posted on the dorm entrances and stuff about incidents that have happened and warnings…we shouldn’t have to be warned…put that crap all over the doors and windows of the police building and cars so they can carry the burden of people getting beat up and mugged because they won’t do anything about it. It’s ridiculous. And nights and weekends cops aren’t looking for crime, they’re looking for parties to bust up. That’s not a concern for safety, by any means. It’s ridiculous and it sickens me.

at night there seem to be less cops, which seems obvious in a normal area city/town…but on campus thats when all this crazy crap happens…there should be more cops on duty over night, and half should be walking or riding a bike… without question…whenever i want to go for a late night jog i would do so arcoss campus cause i thought it was safe, guess not.

Agree 100% with you guys. We really need to talk to someone about how the police opperate here on campus cause they suck. Underage drinking may be illegal, but thats nothing compared to assault. I wonder who we would need to talk to.

at night there seem to be less cops, which seems obvious in a normal area city/town...but on campus thats when all this crazy crap happens...there should be more cops on duty over night, and half should be walking or riding a bike... without question...whenever i want to go for a late night jog i would do so arcoss campus cause i thought it was safe, guess not.

they need more cops during the day because that’s when they can pull people over for petty violations.

they need more cops during the day because that's when they can pull people over for petty violations.

like speeding 5 mph over the limit. that happened to my roommate the first day of class freshman year.

Much of this is a result of many factors.

1. The creation of what is now Uptown Charlotte, mainly the 4th Ward

They tore down thousands of public housing units and replaced them with a handful of Hope VI units in 4th Ward Place.

1. NoDa’s gentrification

The area land values are rising and pushing out the lower income.

1. Overabundance of apartments built in the University area

The # of apartments built extremely outweighed the demand. Also the prices of the apartments are suited for students, which is cheap.

1. The original developers of the university area apartment complexes are no longer in control. They got their buck and bounced.

These developers took complete advantage of a poor Zoning Ordinance (not to say Charlotte is the only City with a poor ordinance, it is common place for multiple reason that are too long-winded to get into right now). Built shoddy constructions of apartments enticing to students and sold them off as soon as possible.

1. Property managers have to make their money and that means renting to a broader range of incomes and accepting gov’t subsidies. (Section 8)

The main problem is they decided to take so many units away to redevelop 4th Ward, but had no plan on what to do with the people they displaced.

New Jersey has a good program, called a Workable Relocation Assistance Plan that is required with all redevelopment plans that displaces any residents or businesses (renters and home owners.)

It was the lack of foresight that has caused this by city leaders hell bent on making Uptown what it is today.

I am not saying Uptown Charlotte is bad, I love it, but the planning behind it all did not take everything into consideration and the University City area is paying for it now.