Beating a dead horse

Judy Rose was dead set against football in 1997. The Observer ran a series about Title IX that extolled Charlotte for its A- grade from the Education Department’s Office of Civil Rights. Judy said it would ruin the Athletic Department’s equity rankings if football were added to the University’s sports offerings.

South Florida had added football by 1997.

I tend to agree that was probable. But the key word is “probable”. I’d probably put it at 60/40, meaning it wasn’t definite. Even if we had started football in 1990 I’m not sure we would have gotten into the Big East, look at Memphis.

My main point is that the sooner we had started football the better are chances would have been in 2005.

She doesn’t deserve to have anything on campus bearing her name in recognition of her contributions to the school.

I recall that article as well. Looked and looked for it online and couldn’t find anything.

Even if we hadn’t gotten into the BE, football or the planned addition of football keeps us in CUSA. Worse case scenario is we are where we are but 10-15 yes more mature. We probably would have ECUs spot in the AAC.

2 Likes

One wise decision made was to build a stadium on campus and IMO the best possible location on campus. If we started football in the 90’s where would we have played? Memorial Stadium probably would have made the most sense. Would Jerry have let us use Ericsson Studium?

There’s a couple Woodward-era Master Plan booklets in the library that expressly forbid an on-campus football stadium.

“As a player, your best ability is your availability.“

Jeez