Beef of the day... Observer article

Here’s one that has me upset…[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/133537.html][B]Man, woman accused of raping girl, 17[/B][/URL].

[QUOTE]After drinking it, the girl said, she passed out. When she regained consciousness, she was in a motel room on East McCullough Drive near UNC Charlotte, lying on a bed.[/QUOTE]
UNC charlotte had nothing to do with this story, there are plenty of other landmarks that could have been used, including the amphitheater, which is where the concert was (I’m assuming).

I did fire off an email, I encourgae you to do the same.

[QUOTE]Cleve, why was you statement you wrote in the Man, woman accused of raping girl, 17 done? After drinking it, the girl said, she passed out. When she regained consciousness, she was in a motel room on East McCullough Drive near UNC Charlotte, lying on a bed.

First of all, I am assuming they attended a concert at the Verizon Amphitheater, which no reference is made. Also, East McCullough is much closer to a landmark such as the Carolinas Regional Medical Center. For that matter, you could have mentioned that the hotel was near I-85 or even the Lowes Motor Speedway.

UNC Charlotte had nothing to do with the story and therefore should not have been in your report. You owe the University community an apology. By the way, I am a proud alumnus of the University.

William Robertson
High Point, NC[/QUOTE]

What an asshole

Observer=anti-University pricks.

I’ll accept the reply but I don’t agree with him still…

[QUOTE]I didn’t mean to offend. For most readers, UNCC is the easiest reference point in the area. It’s a few blocks away from McCullough Drive and it allows people to pinpoint where, exactly, the victim reported that the incident happened. Other options in the area were Carolinas Medical Center- University and maybe “near the intersection of N. Tryon Streets and Harris Boulevard.” But most people don’t know where CMC-University is and near the interesection of those two streets varies from person to person. Saying “near UNC Charlotte” was both more direct and easier to understand. We did not say or imply that the incident was related to the university or that it happened on UNCC grounds.

We use similar descriptive phrases when possible to simplify locations for readers – in Uptown Charlotte or near Charlotte Bobcats Arena or “a hotel across the street from Paramount’s Carowinds.”

Additionally, we also assumed that the concert in question was at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater. (There was a Gwen Stefani concert at the venue on May 12, but that was never explicitly stated in the warrant or by any of the officers involved. Saying that it was at the amphitheater when we weren’t sure would be misleading to readers.)

I hope this clears some things up.

Best,

Cleve.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=HP49er;239750]I’ll accept the reply but I don’t agree with him still…[/QUOTE]
Can I have your personal address… I need to write something.

[QUOTE=lake49er;239751]Can I have your personal address… I need to write something.[/QUOTE]
Sorry not your address, the ass face who wrote this crap…

CLEVE R. WOOTSON JR.
cwootson@charlotteobserver.com

CLEVE R. WOOTSON JR. [EMAIL=cwootson@charlotteobserver.com]cwootson@charlotteobserver.com[/EMAIL]

hahaha i went to high school with him. he was a pompous terd cycle then too. Guess some people never change.

“University Area” would have sufficed without totally smearing the actual university.

I don’t think it is that bad. I think you guys are being overly sensitive. If the incident was near UNC Charlotte, then they were just reporting the facts.

[QUOTE=HP49er;239663]Here’s one that has me upset…[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/133537.html][B]Man, woman accused of raping girl, 17[/B][/URL].

UNC charlotte had nothing to do with this story, there are plenty of other landmarks that could have been used, including the amphitheater, which is where the concert was (I’m assuming).

I did fire off an email, I encourgae you to do the same.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=HP49er;239663]Here’s one that has me upset…[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/112/story/133537.html][B]Man, woman accused of raping girl, 17[/B][/URL].

I did fire off an email, I encourgae you to do the same.[/QUOTE]
Cleve, why was you statement you wrote in the Man, woman accused of raping girl, 17 done? After drinking it, the girl said, she passed out. When she regained consciousness, she was in a motel room on East McCullough Drive near UNC Charlotte, lying on a bed.

I hope you didn’t send it with all those errors. That makes us look great.

[QUOTE=Ruckus42;239780]I hope you didn’t send it with all those errors. That makes us look great.[/QUOTE]
No Ruckus. It was sent as follows…

[QUOTE]Cleve, why was your statement you wrote in the [B]Man, woman accused of raping girl, 17[/B] done? [B]After drinking it, the girl said, she passed out. When she regained consciousness, she was in a motel room on East McCullough Drive near UNC Charlotte, lying on a bed.[/B]

First of all, I am assuming they attended a concert at the Verizon Amphitheater, which no reference is made. Also, East McCullough is much closer to a landmark such as the Carolinas Regional Medical Center. For that matter, you could have mentioned that the hotel was near I-85 or even the Lowes Motor Speedway.

UNC Charlotte had nothing to do with the story and therefore should not have been in your report. You owe the University community an apology. By the way, I am a proud alumnus of the University.[/QUOTE]
I may be an old fart in your Ruckus, but I’m not stupid. One of my peeves is imperfect grammar and spelling when people write.

She said she was 17, but I could of sworn she was 20.

[QUOTE=HP49er;239781]No Ruckus. It was sent as follows…

I may be an old fart in your Ruckus, but I’m not stupid. One of my peeves is imperfect grammar and spelling when people write.[/QUOTE]
Just checking

[QUOTE=HP49er;239781]No Ruckus. It was sent as follows…

I may be an old fart in your Ruckus, but I’m not stupid. One of my peeves is imperfect grammar and spelling when people write.[/QUOTE]
Ruckus, I definitely am an old fart. But, along with HP, I’m not stupid. And…apparently along with HP…one of my peeves is sloppy, blabby, slushy, mush-mouth writing. Be as crabby and negative and anti-x as you wanna be… but be thoughtful? sober? precise? mindful? linear? observant? factual?
It might even pull your GPA up!

[QUOTE=HP49er;239763]CLEVE R. WOOTSON JR.
cwootson@charlotteobserver.com[/QUOTE]
I wonder if he includes his middle initial in an attempt to make people think he is clever…

[QUOTE=Brick Tamland, Weather;239777]“University Area” would have sufficed without totally smearing the actual university.[/QUOTE]
I agree. I think that’s what he was getting at when he said “near UNC Charlotte”…

[QUOTE=49or bust;239778]I don’t think it is that bad. I think you guys are being overly sensitive. If the incident was near UNC Charlotte, then they were just reporting the facts.[/QUOTE]
This is the type of thinking we should never have…