Beer Butt Chicken?

Anyone here ever grilled a “Beer Butt Chicken”? I’m thinking of throwing one on tonight, but would love some feedback on the best way to do one.

[QUOTE=max;192225]Anyone here ever grilled a “Beer Butt Chicken”? I’m thinking of throwing one on tonight, but would love some feedback on the best way to do one.[/QUOTE]

I did one and it was fine, but not much different than cooking it in the oven. I couldn’t really tell any different flavoring. You can give it a shot, I have heard of peopel doing it using soda as well. Give us a report if you do it.

Personally, I think it’s overrated and that it primarily caught on just because of the unorthadox style. Granted, it does make for a tender chicken but there are other ways to achieve similar results.

If you opt to try, just google for some tips. There are things you can add to the beer which will enhance the flavor of the chicken. Walmart sells the little beer can racks which make the bird more stable but it’s really not necessary if you’re just careful.

Best poultry is a deep fried turkey, period.

This is the same as Beer Can Chicken right?

This is the same as Beer Can Chicken right?

Yep. I think Max was just simply referring to the orifice in which said can enters chicken. :tongue:

LoL

I tried that, and didnt thin kcoors light did anything. So I used some small name beer, I cant think of the name, but it was heavy and thick as molases. Really flavorful you know? Kinda like that bluemoon stuff. Anyways I put it into a coke can, and it ended up with a nice yeasty, kinda earthy spice flavor to it. It was pretty good

LoL

I tried that, and didnt thin kcoors light did anything. So I used some small name beer, I cant think of the name, but it was heavy and thick as molases. Really flavorful you know? Kinda like that bluemoon stuff. Anyways I put it into a coke can, and it ended up with a nice yeasty, kinda earthy spice flavor to it. It was pretty good

Way off topic, but blue moon is the opposite, actually. It is light and smooth. but really flavorful, that’s for sure. Unfiltered Belgian whites are very light in general.

The idea behind the beer is to boil and moisturize the chicken from the inside. That’s what makes it tender. I’m not sure if the taste of the beer actually penetrates the chicken, even though the can does.

hmmm didnt know that. But what I mean is, blue moon actually tasts different then regular beer. But that stuff we used, it was like… it felt heavy and thick. But in all it had a taste to it, rather then coors or bud or something.

And it def. had a flavor. It tasted yeasty, with a wierd natural earthy falvor in it.

Thanks for the tips guys. I’m stuffing the skin with garlic, celantro and butter now and following up with chicken rub. My brew of choice…Newcastle. I’ll let you know how it turns out. My friend just showed up early with Jager, so it could get ugly. Catch ya later.

it definately requires a heavier flavored beer. none of the light crap. that said i’ve had and fixed it a couple times. very tasty. although you may be hard pressed to actually get any of the beer flavor with all the garlic/cilantro/rub going on. But damn, that rub sounds good :slight_smile: Cilantro is very underrated.

Honey lagers work well, too. Newcastle seems to be a good hearty beer for it.

Let us know

Beer tastes much better if it hasn’t been in a chicken’s butt.

I’ve tried cooking chicken this was a couple of times and could not tell any difference.

Beer tastes much better if it hasn't been in a chicken's butt.

I’ve tried cooking chicken this was a couple of times and could not tell any difference.

I agree. My advice for “beer chicken” is to open the beer, put chicken in oven and then drink the beer while waiting on chicken to roast. Follow with more beer.

Ahh…actually it worked! Quite tasty indeed. Tender, juicy…lot’s of flavor. Even made chix salad with the leftovers. My face is all swollen up from all the sodium and beverage this weekend thoough.

awesome! Did u get a beer flavor afterall?

Yeah, the beer flavor did come through, but in a nice cooked in way.

awesome. Im assuming u used newcastle right?

Actually, I had to pour it in an empty Miller light can. All I had were Newcastle bottles.

Ok, now I’m starving now. Gotta hit Bojangles on that note. lol