Belk Gym renovations

The home of Cornbread, Massey, Kinch, Watkins, King, et al… It certainly has been a long time coming though:

clt poses a question. After renovations, why don’t we turn over belk to volleyball and wbb?

The smaller crowds would work better than Halton.

And if our trend continues, eventually mbb could move to belk.

[quote=“cltniners, post:2, topic:28604”]clt poses a question. After renovations, why don’t we turn over belk to volleyball and wbb?

And if our trend continues, eventually mbb could move to belk.[/quote]
Volleyball, maybe, but I imagine equity / Title IX would come into play with wbb, access to similar facilities as the men.

It’s a $17.5 M project. https://facilities.uncc.edu/sites/facilities.uncc.edu/files/BelkGym20131211.pdf

[ul][li]Modernized HVAC systems including gymnasiums[/li]
[li]Over 8,000 square feet of dedicated fitness space[/li]
[li]Redesigned exterior main entrance façade and plaza[/li]
[li]Redesigned lobby and visitor amenities[/li]
[li]Refinished basketball courts[/li]
[li]Increased lighting and way-finding amenities[/li]
[li]New stairs for improved circulation and security[/li]
[li]High seating capacity auditorium-style lecture hall[/li]
[li]Additional and properly equipped classroom and lab space[/li]
[li]Day lockers and individualized shower stalls[/li]
[li]Improved accessibility from locker rooms to swimming pool[/li]
[li]Mechanical, structural and landscape improvements[/li][/ul]

https://facilities.uncc.edu/our-services/business-related-services/capital-projects/construction-updates

[quote=“emf, post:3, topic:28604”][quote=“cltniners, post:2, topic:28604”]clt poses a question. After renovations, why don’t we turn over belk to volleyball and wbb?

Volleyball, maybe, but I imagine equity / Title IX would come into play with wbb, access to similar facilities as the men.[/quote]

NC State Women’s hoops play in their on-campus Reynolds Coliseum while the men play in PNC.

[quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:28604”][quote=“emf, post:3, topic:28604”][quote=“cltniners, post:2, topic:28604”]clt poses a question. After renovations, why don’t we turn over belk to volleyball and wbb?

Volleyball, maybe, but I imagine equity / Title IX would come into play with wbb, access to similar facilities as the men.[/quote]

NC State Women’s hoops play in their on-campus Reynolds Coliseum while the men play in PNC.[/quote]Yep, this is fairly common. However I don’t see Judy doing that to WBB.

[quote=“2k, post:5, topic:28604”][quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:28604”][quote=“emf, post:3, topic:28604”][quote=“cltniners, post:2, topic:28604”]clt poses a question. After renovations, why don’t we turn over belk to volleyball and wbb?

NC State Women’s hoops play in their on-campus Reynolds Coliseum while the men play in PNC.[/quote]Yep, this is fairly common. However I don’t see Judy doing that to WBB.[/quote]

Judy would move mens ball before she moved womens. ::slight_smile: [font=verdana] I mean she already has given womens volleyball priority of mens basketball.[/font]

#titleniners

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:6, topic:28604”][quote=“2k, post:5, topic:28604”][quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:28604”][quote=“emf, post:3, topic:28604”][quote=“cltniners, post:2, topic:28604”]clt poses a question. After renovations, why don’t we turn over belk to volleyball and wbb?

NC State Women’s hoops play in their on-campus Reynolds Coliseum while the men play in PNC.[/quote]Yep, this is fairly common. However I don’t see Judy doing that to WBB.[/quote]

Judy would move mens ball before she moved womens. ::slight_smile: [font=verdana] I mean she already has given womens volleyball priority of mens basketball.[/font][/quote]

Well given our current season I would give a pick up game priority over men’s basketball.

There are no seats for fans in Belk, and I think it stays booked with intramural events.

Shouldn’t be a problem for our men’s team at this rate.

It’s tough because of my expectations; but, I have to remember to take a step back and realize that we still have a winning record with 2 wins over the top-25 and are coming off of a 21-win season. The sky isn’t falling as much as we might want to pretend, but we need to stop the friggin’ bleeding. We could definitely be in a worse position with our talent/winning/etc. Hell, we could be EZU.

It’s a shame they took out the seating. We really should host at least one of the holiday games in there. make it a throw back night, wear gold UNCC unis - make it an event. Instead we get a 1/4 filled arena (if that w/ a seat upgrade) against a scrub school and no excitement.

Yeah, Major gets a lot of crap from people around here…note, I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve it…but this is an idea that I’ve heard him discuss and express interest in on multiple occasions.

As far as I’m concerned, it would be a great idea. Therefore, it will never happen.

Yeah, Major gets a lot of crap from people around here…note, I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve it…but this is an idea that I’ve heard him discuss and express interest in on multiple occasions.

As far as I’m concerned, it would be a great idea. Therefore, it will never happen.[/quote]

Yeah, this would be pretty awesome.

Any games during Christmas break would be a great time for games in Belk.

If I wanted to watch basketball in a tiny gym, on uncomfortable bleachers, with no concession stands I would just go to Davidson. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Hooner49, post:4, topic:28604”][quote=“emf, post:3, topic:28604”][quote=“cltniners, post:2, topic:28604”]clt poses a question. After renovations, why don’t we turn over belk to volleyball and wbb?

The smaller crowds would work better than Hal

NC State Women’s hoops play in their on-campus Reynolds Coliseum while the men play in PNC.[/quote]Hate to use the cheats as an example but unc women play in the old carmichael also, not the smith center

Belk, at its best, sat 3,000 in bleachers. Carmichael sits 8,000 and Reynolds used to sit 12,000. Now we may very well not average anywhere near 3,000 for women’s basketball or Volleyball; but since both already have their offices in Barnhardt there doesn’t seem to be a valid reason to move those two programs to Belk. Especially considering how much other things (Kinesiology and Intramural Sports) that go on in Belk now.