Bernard Sullivan - transfer

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:20, topic:27702”]you should recruit thinking that the player can contribute not with the why not attitude. if he was unable to get off the bench for clemson, why would he earn time here? we know this. he is undersized but not a physically strong player, a decent but not a great shooter and not a true post player so saying that we have undersized players like clayton is not a good argument. i would rather save the scholarhip than waste it on a player who cannot give quality minutes. i hope i’m wrong.[/quote]My mindset is that this staff has done well so far in evaluating talent.

Also just got wind of a visit this weekend from Gabe DeVoe. Pretty talented young guy from NC

[quote=“bballfanatic23, post:22, topic:27702”]Also just got wind of a visit this weekend from Gabe DeVoe. Pretty talented young guy from NC[/quote]DeVoe is a big time 2014 wing. I’d expect him to garner quite a bit of interest. Would be nice to keep him here.

[font=Helvetica][size=15px]http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/virginia-commonwealth/jamie-skeen[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][/size][/font]

His size may be the reason he didn’t see the court much at Clemson. He wouldn’t go against 7 footers every night in CUSA. For schools like ours the best thing to do is gather as much talent possible for our league and make it to the tournament. Once we are there anything can happen.

This is a helluva good point. Look what Skeen did when he got a chance at VCU.

The extra transfer year helps in a kids development also.

Visits tomorrow.

Hope he lands here. I remember him coming out of high school, lots of talent. I think the year practicing would really help…besides, we have schollies to burn.

That being said we REALLY need a big who can play next year.

I am yet to understand this thinking. This past year we played 3 bigs. Thorne played in about half the games. I think it is a little more maybe 17-20 but only avg 6-7 minutes a game. So we plug him into the rotation full time and it is still the three man rotation we ran this year with Clayton, Bras, and Clark. I just don’t see the HUGE need. I would love to have another big. But I don’t see a lot of minutes with three sophs in that position.

Side question because I have no idea. Is CUSA more of an athletic conference? I guess I am asking are we going to have to switch up recruiting a little bit because these school will have more of the smaller athletes? I look at a Wichita State and their two leading scorers are forwards that are listed 6-8. Does that make sense?

[quote=“sportsman1417, post:30, topic:27702”]I am yet to understand this thinking. This past year we played 3 bigs. Thorne played in about half the games. I think it is a little more maybe 17-20 but only avg 6-7 minutes a game. So we plug him into the rotation full time and it is still the three man rotation we ran this year with Clayton, Bras, and Clark. I just don’t see the HUGE need. I would love to have another big. But I don’t see a lot of minutes with three sophs in that position.

Side question because I have no idea. Is CUSA more of an athletic conference? I guess I am asking are we going to have to switch up recruiting a little bit because these school will have more of the smaller athletes? I look at a Wichita State and their two leading scorers are forwards that are listed 6-8. Does that make sense?[/quote] Braswell played starter level minutes. We have to assume that Thorne will improve his fitness to the point he can do that for a whole season. I think that eventually happens, I’m just not sure it happens this next year.

Even though we played Clayton at center a lot this year, it was a liability against teams with good size down low. That may not be a huge issue in CUSA, but if the team wants to make the tournament (i.e. step up again next year), they’re going to have to beat some teams that have tall bigs. E.g. The GW game shows what a team with height down low can do. They set up shop on the low block and repeatedly shot over Clayton and Clarke. The other issue is our defense would be greatly helped by a shotblocking presence down low, since we gamble for steals so much on drives, a shotblocker could help cut down on the cost of that kind of gamble.

[quote=“9erken, post:31, topic:27702”][quote=“sportsman1417, post:30, topic:27702”]I am yet to understand this thinking. This past year we played 3 bigs. Thorne played in about half the games. I think it is a little more maybe 17-20 but only avg 6-7 minutes a game. So we plug him into the rotation full time and it is still the three man rotation we ran this year with Clayton, Bras, and Clark. I just don’t see the HUGE need. I would love to have another big. But I don’t see a lot of minutes with three sophs in that position.

Side question because I have no idea. Is CUSA more of an athletic conference? I guess I am asking are we going to have to switch up recruiting a little bit because these school will have more of the smaller athletes? I look at a Wichita State and their two leading scorers are forwards that are listed 6-8. Does that make sense?[/quote] Braswell played starter level minutes. We have to assume that Thorne will improve his fitness to the point he can do that for a whole season. I think that eventually happens, I’m just not sure it happens this next year.

Even though we played Clayton at center a lot this year, it was a liability against teams with good size down low. That may not be a huge issue in CUSA, but if the team wants to make the tournament (i.e. step up again next year), they’re going to have to beat some teams that have tall bigs. E.g. The GW game shows what a team with height down low can do. They set up shop on the low block and repeatedly shot over Clayton and Clarke. The other issue is our defense would be greatly helped by a shotblocking presence down low, since we gamble for steals so much on drives, a shotblocker could help cut down on the cost of that kind of gamble.[/quote]

Clayton can do what he does best when the big man is not on him. If Bras or Clark were in he was unstoppable. When he was the “true” center…not so much. As long as someone else is drawing the defensive big man, he will be outstanding.

I wanted us to land him pretty badly out of HS. I remember thinking that he would have definitely fit a need then, and I think he still can fit a need now. Seems like another sad scenario of the ACC fever in the Carolinas among high schoolers, a la Tyler Lewis and Jackson Simmons and so many others. You would think these kids would want to go somewhere that they can play and shine, but I digress. At least he’s hopefully going to salvage his career before it’s too late.

As an aside, I really though Brad Brownell would be MUCH more successful at Clempzun than he has been to this point. Looking at his track record at UNCW and Wright State and the pretty good talent he was able to recruit to both schools, he certainly has vastly underachieved so far, when most thought he was one of THE rising stars of the profession. I guess the grass isn’t always greener for players OR coaches in the ACC.

With all that said, I hope to hear that we are the landing spot for Sullivan. Would love to have him in green.

somebody tell me what he brings. he’s not a true post player and not a great shooter. we should be able to land someone who did not fail at a program like clemson.

Having a 4 man rotation of guys in the paint will help keep the minutes off and keep us playing more aggressive when the fouls start showing up. Don’t compare one 6-8 guy to another 6-8 guy on what he brings to the team. These guys may be the same height, but may have varying skills and attributes. I don’t know that this is the case in this situation, but often times it is. I think we could use this guy and I think we are smart in going after him.

Depth. People have brought up Mayfield as an example to you many times. Jamie Skeen was also brought up as an example. If you’re not seeing those examples as a possible outcome for Sullivan then there’s not going to be an answer that you like.

like i have said. those guys are exceptions rather than rules. it does not mean we should take a player who has proven not to be productive at a high level on the off chance that he might just need a change of scenery.

Depth. People have brought up Mayfield as an example to you many times. Jamie Skeen was also brought up as an example. If you’re not seeing those examples as a possible outcome for Sullivan then there’s not going to be an answer that you like.[/quote]

How about Cam Stephens? Another player who didn’t play much transferred here and was a very solid contributor are some very good teams.

Dude we have 13 spots… we aren’t playing 13 players every game… sign him up, it’s not like 6’8 former top 100 players are just beating down on the door… don’t get the problem.

We could give a scholly to another Ivankovic… or we could give it to someone who has a chance to actually contribute. If we get this kid, which I hope we do, consider him a HUGE upgrade over Illija. It does suck that he is a Sophomore though.