Bernard Toombs - 2006

He’s from Columbus (Ga.) Spencer High School.

Right now, has four schools are on his list: Charlotte, Auburn, Florida St., Penn St. He actually visited Charlotte a few weeks ago and liked it so we are his early leader.

Recruiters from a handful of schools saw the potential that Toombs possesses and tried to jump in early with him. Toombs said he’s heard from UNC-Charlotte, Auburn, Florida State and Penn State. In fact, he unofficially visited Charlotte recently. That trip has given the 49ers an early lead.

As of right now, he’s only 200 lbs. so hopefully he can gain some weight over the next 2 seasons.

Bernard Toombs - Rivals article on 11/11/04

6-10 200lbs…wow

Toombs will be in the HOUSE this weekend for the Bama game, according to NinerReport.com. Second visit. Sounds like a promising big man at 6’10".

finally a big man, non juco, well height wise

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 04:16 PM [b]Toombs will be in the HOUSE this weekend for the Bama game, according to NinerReport.com. Second visit. Sounds like a promising big man at 6'10".[/b]
Great news. Hopefully an early lead in recruiting him will lead to actually signing him eventually. Our coaches seem to be ahead of the curve on a lot of guys, hopefully we get Charlotte in his plans early in case he breaks out over the next year.

And a win tomorrow night would probably help a good deal.

Would it be against NCAA rules to buy him a couple of hamburgers? :frowning:

RPM…probably wouldn’t be against the rules to buy him a couple of hamburgers, but if we are trying to get him to come to Charlotte we may want him to steer clear of our food vendors (not so good).

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Dec 3 2004, 05:16 PM [b] Toombs will be in the HOUSE this weekend for the Bama game, according to NinerReport.com. Second visit. Sounds like a promising big man at 6'10". [/b]
Did the same person measure him who measured Iti??? If so he might actually be 6'6".

What is interesting is that this will be his SECOND visit to Charlotte.

[i]Originally posted by 49erblh[/i]@Dec 4 2004, 04:35 PM [b] What is interesting is that this will be his SECOND visit to Charlotte. [/b]
It can't be an official visit until he has qualified academically can it???

We need to show him some love at the game!!!

So he committed, how good is he? Great to get a high school big man for the first time in a while, is he a top 150 or even 200 right now? Lutz always seems to be ahead of the curve so maybe he’ll blow up over the next couple of years, but I can’t find anything on this guy on any of the big recruiting sites.

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er+Dec 4 2004, 02:21 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Jimmyhat49er @ Dec 4 2004, 02:21 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Butter49er[/i]@Dec 5 2004, 02:06 PM [b] Great to get a high school big man for the first time in a while [/b]
Uh, what was Iti?

Yeah he’s at least 6’9. He is a talllllll…glass of water.

looks like he is reconsidering his commitment…

I hear ya Chi. We really need to show him some love the next time he visits. Make sure we get a heads up on his visit.

2/1805

Update on Toombs from Rivals.com. He is averaging 9.3ppg, 8rpg, and 5 blocks. Back in November/December, it appeared we had offered but other info contradicts that, so I’m assuming we have not offered him as of right now, although our interest remains high. Illinois, Miami (FL), Charlotte, Georgia Tech, Alabama, Auburn, Florida St., and Penn St. are in the mix. He has no offers as of now.

Bernard Toombs - 02/18/05 Rivals update

I thought he verbaled to us after his visit???

He did verbal but then later restated about a week later that he wanted to stay open and visit some other schools first, but at the time he also indicated Charlotte was still his number one choice. I think the bigger question now is did we actually offer? I think we are in good shape with him assuming we haven’t backed off at all in his recruitment.

Illinois made a visit to go watch him play.