Beatles White Album

Fleetwood Mac White Album

Eagles On the Border

Blue Oyster Cult Secret Treaties

Bachman Turner Overdrive You ain’t seen nothing yet

Muther’s Finest

Return to Forever (Stanley Clark, Chick Corea Al Dimeola ) Romantic Warrior

Any album by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

[i]Originally posted by anipalcraig[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 12:18 AM [b] One of the best records: The Wayward Bus/Distant Plastic Trees by the Magnetic Fields. I like women's voices. Susan Anway of the Magnetic Fields was flat-out awesome.

N/A- Time Warner must be to blame for pretty much anything flaming lip related, I guess. They may’ve been good for the lips, but while xmas shopping at bed, body, bath and beyond or whatever it’s called last year, I was pleasantly shocked to hear “Superman.” I laughed to myself feeling sorry. Those guys must be embarassed. [/b]

Magnetic Fields = very good.

I also like Lou Barlow.

I don’t know Lou Barlow at all, but I’ve got a copy of smash your head on the punk rock.

[i]Originally posted by sf49er[/i]@Dec 28 2004, 11:33 PM [b] Any album by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young [/b]
My dad bought me "So Far" for Christmas. It's very, very good.

I don’t know if I would call these albums the greatest of all time but I know these are the ones I’ve enjoyed listening to the most lately.

Queensryche - Empire What can I say, this album seems timeless, great stuff.
Fuel - Something like human These guys rule, saw them in Vegas!!!
Def Leppard - Hysteria

LOTR soundtracks (all three) - Great stuff, I listen to them all the time at work.

[i]Originally posted by CPA_Niner[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 08:37 AM [b] Queensryche - Empire What can I say, this album seems timeless, great stuff. [/b]
That is a GREAT album. They blew me away the first few times I heard them and they are fantastic live.
[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Dec 28 2004, 10:28 AM [b] Yeah, I hear you on Purple Rain. I wore out my copy too, and more embarassingly, a couple of Duran Duran and rap albums too. How many freaking times can you litsen to [i]Rio[/i] & Run DMC? Guess I should put both of those on there too.

The rest of that stuff I listed is in current rotation. But even more telling are my winamp or IRiver mp3 player playlists. I’m not afraid to worship one song from one band as their shining moment. If I listen to New Slang by The Shins or The Roots, or this Flaming Lips tune one more time, I’m gonna be certifiable. [/b]

The Shins ruined the greatest punk band of all time. I think one of my roommates stole my copy of Oh! Inverted World.

“New Slang” is a great song, so is “Girl on the Wing.” I really should listen to “Chutes Too Narrow” some more.

[i]Originally posted by CPA_Niner[/i]@Dec 29 2004, 08:37 AM [b] I don't know if I would call these albums the greatest of all time but I know these are the ones I've enjoyed listening to the most lately.

Queensryche - Empire What can I say, this album seems timeless, great stuff.
Fuel - Something like human These guys rule, saw them in Vegas!!!
Def Leppard - Hysteria

LOTR soundtracks (all three) - Great stuff, I listen to them all the time at work. [/b]

Fuel is awesome live.

Hrmm, my favorite records of all time aren’t probably what I would consider the “greatest” of all time. Mostly because the “greatest” to me would imply the biggest influence on music in general. However, there are a lot of albums that I like a lot better than what may be considered the best, so I will list those.

Digger - The Promise of an Uncertain Future.
Skiploader - From Can Through String
Scared of Chaka - Masonic Youth/Tired of You
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Get Up Kids - 4 Minute Mile
Ninety Pound Wuss - Short Hand Operation
Mustard Plug - Evildoers Beware!

There are a lot of great albums out there, that I know are great and really like a lot, but these are albums that I can listen to any time and I will be in the mood to listen to them.

I recently started getting into Knapsack, so they are high on my list, but I don’t know if they deserve a spot on my best albums of all time yet.

Beatles-Rubber Soul, Abby Rd., White Album
Better than Ezra- Deluxe
Verve Pipe- Villains
Pearl Jam- Ten, V’s
Toad the Wet Sprocket-Dulcinea
Nirvana- Nevermind
Counting Crows- August and Everything
Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View
Live- Throwing Copper
Angie Aparo- The American
Brian Vander Ark - Resurrection

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 11:38 AM [b] Beatles-Rubber Soul, Abby Rd., White Album Better than Ezra- Deluxe Verve Pipe- Villains Pearl Jam- Ten, V's Toad the Wet Sprocket-Dulcinea Nirvana- Nevermind Counting Crows- August and Everything Hootie and the Blowfish - Cracked Rear View Live- Throwing Copper Angie Aparo- The American Brian Vander Ark - Resurrection [/b]
Better than Ezra is great, seen them live twice.

Verve Pipe is eh. I liked them when their singles were “Cup of Tea” and “Photograph.” Then, like a year and a half later, they were famous off of “The Freshman.” That was kind of weird. Sort of like the 311 “Don’t Stay Home” deal.

I think Vitalogy is the best PJ album.

I’ve never actually listened to a whole Toad the Wet Sprocket album. I used to love “Walk on the Ocean.”

I really think Incesticide is the best Nirvana release.

Great album from the Crows.

Hootie…erm. They had Dan Marino in a video, they get props.

Throwing Copper was way bigger than I ever could have imagined. Looking back now, I don’t know how it got so huge. They had some good songs, but to me, they got more attention than they deserved.

Never heard Resurrection.

Regardless, your list made me think back to a time when the radio was worth listening to.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 11:57 AM [b] Better than Ezra is great, seen them live twice. [/b]
I saw them when they played on campus at the Belk gym in '96 (I think). They were ok. Was anyone else at that concert?

They have gotten a lot better since '96. They aren’t close to one of my favorite bands, but “Sincerly, Me” is one of the best songs I’ve ever seen live.

They are a little weak live at times, but they are fun and when they rock out, they do it well.

[i]Originally posted by LutzFan+Jan 3 2005, 12:16 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LutzFan @ Jan 3 2005, 12:16 PM)

I’ve seen BTE 8 or 9 times, loved their first 2 albums, not so fond of everything after. Kevin the lead singer seems to get gayer everytime I see him(not that theres anything wrong with that)…

Verve Pipe is awesome. Freshman got way over played, but every album they have put out is strong.

If you’ve never listened to an entire Toad album, you need to.

Resurrection is a solo album from the lead singer of the Verve Pipe. It is a great album.

Hootie got way over played, but I’ve been with them since the beginning and they are still one of my all time favorites.

Throwing copper is a GREAT album, there is not a bad song on it. The are great live as well.

My Favorites:

Michael Jackson–Thriller (Truthfully I never was big on thriller the track, but I loved some of the other stuff)

Coldplay–A Rush of Blood to the Head (Pure Musical Genius)

Nirvana–Nevermind (The Death of Hairbands)

Green Day–Dookie (Punk at it’s finest)

Alicia Keys–Fallen (Best Piano I’ve heard)

Nas–Illmatic (Poetry at it’s finest)

Dr. Dre–The Chronic (The birth of an empire)

Linkin Park–Hybrid Theory (Redefined Metal)

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 02:10 PM [b] Nirvana--Nevermind (The Death of Hairbands)

[/b]

:frowning:

I confess…I was a HUGE hair band fan. Seen enough hair bands in concert that I probably killed a few brain cells from inhaling so much Aquanet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still have a place in my heart for that music since I was in middle school/high school during it’s prime. And yes I’m going to go see Motley Crue this Summer when they reunite on tour. :o

With that said, I was a big fan of the grunge movement as well and without it, I would be minus a few of my all time favorite bands.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 02:10 PM [b] My Favorites:

Michael Jackson–Thriller (Truthfully I never was big on thriller the track, but I loved some of the other stuff)

Coldplay–A Rush of Blood to the Head (Pure Musical Genius)

Nirvana–Nevermind (The Death of Hairbands)

Green Day–Dookie (Punk at it’s finest)

Alicia Keys–Fallen (Best Piano I’ve heard)

Nas–Illmatic (Poetry at it’s finest)

Dr. Dre–The Chronic (The birth of an empire)

Linkin Park–Hybrid Theory (Redefined Metal) [/b]

Thriller is great. Michael Jackson, until Black or White, is great. “Baby Be Mine” is probably my favorite pop song of all time.

Coldplay, no comment.

Nevermind = Overrated. And, Grunge bands were hair bands too, people were nuts over Cornell’s hair. Let’s not forget the outrage when he went short. Nirvana gets faaaar too much credit. Soundgarden and Mother Love Bone had already broken into the mainstream and Soundgarden would have been popular without Nirvana. I know I shouldn’t get into that argument, because that is the album people associate most frequently with grunge, but the movement was way better than that. I, personally, was more of a fan of the Portland scene. Everclear’s World of Noise and Skiploader’s From Can THrough String are probably my two favorite grunge records of all time. That said, I do like the record a lot. “Lounge Act” is one of my favorite Nirvana songs. If you are a pretty big Nirvana fan, I would recommend picking up the Nirvana box set. It’s worth it to me, especially hearing all those live songs demoed.

It’s really hard for me to be a big Nirvana fan after listening to Jawbreaker, though, they were so much more honest and have such better lyrics.

Green Day /= punk at it’s finest. Honestly, I think Dookie is a great record, but it is pretty much a staple of the lookout sound that was popular at the time. Screeching Weasel and the Queers did the pop punk thing way better than Green Day, in my opinion, but I was never a big Lookout fan in general. I was into the Epitaph sound when Green Day was getting popular, of which the offspring were a poor representation.

Alicia Keys, I’ve never really sat down and listened to her. I like Vanessa Carlton though.

Nas is okay.

Dre is awesome. Chronic is a great record, but I have to be in the right mood for it. I love Dre as a producer, he’s one of the best men behind the scenes in Rap History. Hell, in music history. He was the mastermind behind the best rap scene in history, I like 2pac better as an MC, but as an all-around rapper, Dre takes the cake. Eminem would be nothing without Dre.

Linkin Park = Overproduced deftones. The Deftones redefined hardcore and to some extent Metal. I like Hybrid Theory though, it was a good record.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 03:30 PM [b] I confess...I was a HUGE hair band fan. Seen enough hair bands in concert that I probably killed a few brain cells from inhaling so much Aquanet. :P [/b]
First concert I ever went to, that I really wanted to go to, was Bon Jovi and Blue Murder.
[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Jan 3 2005, 01:43 PM [b] I've seen BTE 8 or 9 times, loved their first 2 albums, not so fond of everything after. Kevin the lead singer seems to get gayer everytime I see him(not that theres anything wrong with that)..

Verve Pipe is awesome. Freshman got way over played, but every album they have put out is strong.

If you’ve never listened to an entire Toad album, you need to.

Resurrection is a solo album from the lead singer of the Verve Pipe. It is a great album.

Hootie got way over played, but I’ve been with them since the beginning and they are still one of my all time favorites.

Throwing copper is a GREAT album, there is not a bad song on it. The are great live as well. [/b]

You need to pick up the BTE album Closer if you haven’t yet. It’s great. I like all the BTE albums, but they aren’t anything impressive to me, just a good rock and roll band.

I remember seeing the Verve Pipe at the Weenie Roast before they got popular. I still think Photograph and Cup of Tea are good songs. I had a choice between a free copy of Super 8 or Villians from 94.5 the Rock Alternative and I chose Super 8 (who also played that Weenie Roast). I also remember that the original copy of Villians had a different version of “The Freshman” on it. Best bands at that show were For Squirrels, Self and Stabbing Westward. We didn’t bother staying around to watch Spacehog’s whole set.

I will probably listen to Toad one day, but there’s a lot of other albums on my list to listen to first.

You are a bigger Verve Pipe fan than I, so you will probably enjoy an album from their frontman way more than I could.

I think my favorite Live song is “Lakini’s Juice.” I think they might have just gotten played out. I agree that Throwing Copper is a good album, but there were so many albums that were out at that time that were better to me.

I never really liked Hootie, but they were catchy. I am getting “I Only Wanna Be With You” stuck in my head.