Best Charlotte 49ers Coaches in history

jamie green. no question. what he has done with the golf program is unbelieveable.

Bobby Lutz
Or Lip****z
I meant with Rose, he somehow managed to get those 5 players to our then rinky dink school, he had little to recruit with, how do sign that talent when you play at the Shaft? We had only been D1 since 1974- I think. Amazing story.
I agree with you, but....3 things:
  1. We went D1 in the late 60s (the 74-75 team was as good as any weā€™ve had).

2. With the exception of Chad Kinch, Bill Foster recruited those players (IMO both belong on this list).

3. Recruiting was less sophisticated then and it was easier to land top notch players. Even Guilford College had 2 NBA stars during that era and High Point, Winston-Salem State, and Davidson had some players of the same talent level shortly before that.

That said, the job done by Rose in getting us to the Final 4 was remarkable and hard to beat.

1. With the exception of Chad Kinch, Bill Foster recruited those players (IMO both belong on this list).

2. Recruiting was less sophisticated then and it was easier to land top notch players. Even Guilford College had 2 NBA stars during that era and High Point, Winston-Salem State, and Davidson had some players of the same talent level shortly before that.

That said, the job done by Rose in getting us to the Final 4 was remarkable and hard to beat.

sorry Over, I donā€™t think thats rightā€¦~72-73, I think (without looking it up).

sorry Over, I don't think thats right.....~72-73, I think (without looking it up).
I promise, it was not 72-73. It may have been a couple of years before then, but it was not those years.

1970-71 was the first season in D-1.

2. With the exception of Chad Kinch, Bill Foster recruited those players (IMO both belong on this list).

3. Recruiting was less sophisticated then and it was easier to land top notch players. Even Guilford College had 2 NBA stars during that era and High Point, Winston-Salem State, and Davidson had some players of the same talent level shortly before that.

nope we did NOT go D1 in the 60ā€™s. We were NAIA thru 1973 in all sports.

1970-71 was the first season in D-1.
thats wrong too I am 99% sure

only reason I say this is because Ben Basinger is a great friend of mine who played then, and he finished in 73, and he says he never played D1 missing it by a year.

HP where are you???

thats wrong too I am 99% sure

only reason I say this is because Ben Basinger is a great friend of mine who played then, and he finished in 73, and he says he never played D1 missing it by a year.

HP where are you???

Media guide says '70-'71 was first year of D1.

are Judy Rose and Lee Rose related?

I wasnā€™t around until Lutz became HC, so I need to brush up on my 49er history.

Bobby ā€œHelmet Hairā€ Lutz!!!:tongue:

Media guide says '70-'71 was first year of D1.
TF was right :smile:
TF was right :smile:

Back then, when a school entered D1 did they have X amount of years before being able to play in the post season like now? That may have been what he meant. I have no idea, just taking a shot.

are Judy Rose and Lee Rose related?

I wasnā€™t around until Lutz became HC, so I need to brush up on my 49er history.

no

1. Lee Rose
  2. Bill Foster
  3. Jeff Mullins
  4. Melvin Watkins
  5. Bobby Lutz
  6. Mike Pratt
  7. Hal Wissel

donā€™t know coached before Bill Foster, but Iā€™m sure they would be better than Hal Wissel.

[QUOTE=tm49er;371660]1. Lee Rose
2. Bill Foster
3. Jeff Mullins
4. Melvin Watkins
5. Bobby Lutz
6. Mike Pratt
7. Hal Wissel

donā€™t know coached before Bill Foster, but Iā€™m sure they would be better than Hal Wissel.[/QUOTE]

1. Lee Rose
  2. Bill Foster
  3. Bobby Lutz - like him or hate him next to the two above him he has taken us higher than anyone under him.
  4. Jeff Mullins - helped bring us back to civilization, but he was way to willing to accept our role. He would never recruit against an ACC school.
  5. Melvin Watkins - deserves to be no higher for sure. His time here was too short to place him above Mullins or Lutz. He was gift wrapped Colson and Demarco.
  6. Mike Pratt
  7. Hal Wissel

[QUOTE=tm49er;371660]1. Lee Rose
2. Bill Foster
3. Jeff Mullins
4. Melvin Watkins
5. Bobby Lutz
6. Mike Pratt
7. Hal Wissel

donā€™t know coached before Bill Foster, but Iā€™m sure they would be better than Hal Wissel.[/QUOTE]

Harvey Murphy was our first and only coach before Foster.
I believe that Charlotte went to the final four the fastest of any university, as per years as a D1 member.
Bill Foster recruited Chad Kinch. Rose had to convince him not to go elsewhere.

Bill Foster recruited Chad Kinch. Rose had to convince him not to go elsewhere.
Didn't our appearance in the '76 NIT seal the deal on Chad Kinch? I never knew Foster recruited Kinch. If so, Kinch was a Junior in HS when Foster recruited him. Of course, back then, we did not have the internet to keep up with who was recruiting who.

Lee Rose has a Final 4.
Melvin Watkins is the only coach to go to the 2nd Rd. twice.
The menā€™s soccer coach who got us to the Final 4.
Our 1st ever football coach in '13.

Our 1st ever football coach in '13.

[SIZE=6]WE HAVE A W1NNAR!!![/SIZE]