Best graduation speech EVER

But to be the “best,” & then to downplay everything, resort to hyperbole, etc. makes the best look pretty weak. It also probably made some of the others think why the f*ck do I even bother, I should just shoot myself now instead of going to college for 4 more years.

the kid’s a kid! when i was her age, i thought blowing up the statue of the WWI soldier on the court house square would be a great way to protest any further wars. i also believed that ‘i could be anything i wanted to be’. i might add that my brain was in the bottom of my shoe … at least south of my belt.
and it is my fervent hope
that the poetry i wrote
will never be discovered.

I knew robots like Eason would respond with condemnation. I love it. Proves the point even more.

You can’t, like, test passion and smarts, man. It’s, like, unmeasurable, man.

I agree with this 100%. She obviously wasn’t hugged enough as a child, and probably sits in her dark room on Friday nights cutting herself while listening to raging death metal.
haha ok I exaggerate, but seriously, she seems like just another hipster chick who thinks she’s got it all figured out. The funny thing is she trashes the educational system, yet will probably go somewhere like Yake or Harvard and “slave” her way to a 4.0.
Our educational system leaves a lot to be desired, but come on this girl is going way overboard.

Yes. Full of Hyperbole. To compare education to enslavement is one of the most laughable things I’ve read in some time. Her insistence on doing so is so distracting that it completely takes away from any meaningful points she might be fumbling around to make. And the ultimate point, that standardized testing is a joke and our tendency to teach to the test is counterproductive, is so widely accepted (by experts anyway) that it hardly seems worth the time getting lathered up about.

I mean really what the hell does “enslavement without fervency for meaningful achievement.” even mean? Is that opposed to enslavement with meaningful achievement? Its a very pretty sentence. Meaningless but pretty.

I would love a detailed list of how the big bad institution of compulsory schooling suppresssed this poor girls uniqueness. Oh the angst! If only she could reclaim these 18 years she spent brainwashed into becoming a mindless drone whose sole purpose was to be a tool of labor for her shadow government. Please.[/quote]
I pretty much agree with most of this line of thinking, and not quite in such a condescending way. And I certainly don’t agree with it in the manner that Chisox does.

Our system does kinda stink. It could be a lot more inspiring and THINKING intensive. But what you have to think about is we are trying to educate huge masses of students with limited funds. It’s hard to prescribe something that works for such a large group and receives 1/3rd the funding it needs.

But memorizing these facts and what not also HELPS you to be able to think. If you don’t know why the Declaration of Independence was signed and all the events surrounding that, how can you hope to form a worthwhile opinion on anything regarding it? I could do any number of examples just like this for most grade school subjects. Memorizing is the foundation of the ability to critically think. At some point early on, you had to memorize what the representation of ‘2’ is or what ‘A’ means and sounds like. And yea, we totally need more inspiring education in our school systems, but what we have is not THAT bad. It could be loads better, but compared with what people have in most other countries and considering how much YOUR elected officials have decided to allot it monetarily, I think we’re doing pretty well.

As far as shadow governments and that stuff goes, that’s where I really stopped thinking the speech could be a “best” anything. I don’t know what school system she was in, but I wasn’t brainwashed and I don’t think my classmates were. I don’t think the system is out to get us (too much) and I don’t think our education system is setup with that intent. We are rich and happy. Rich and happy makes people dumb and complacent. That’s where your brainwashed appearance comes in. We elect the same dumb fucks over and over and complain about little stuff because nothing really is that bad for the majority. And so the stuff that is wrong doesn’t get fixed because no one cares enough to elect better leadership.

If you want things to get better, the power is in your hands. Stop electing people the same two broken parties.