"Best" Movies You've Yet To See

In terms of box-office numbers, awards won/nominated for or just general popularity/hype, what are some “big” movies you’ve yet to see?

I’m ashamed to admit to never seeing a few of these but…

Scarface
Schindler’s List
Lord of the Rings (any of them)
Star Wars (any of the NEW trilogy, not originals)
Fargo
The Green Mile
Kill Bill (both)
Passion of the Christ
Rocky Horror Picture Show
It’s A Wonderful Life
Saving Private Ryan

I’m sure there are plenty others but those are some that come to mind for me.

You must be pretty bored at work today JCL…

LOL…good assumption. Boss is gone and there isn’t anything going on. :frowning:

You could at least humor me and participate though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a reason you haven’t seen them???

A couple of me are :
Ace Ventura
Rush Hour
WHo Framed Roger Rabbit

No reason…just somehow missed seeing them when they were released (obviously with “Wonderful Life”) and haven’t caught any of them on DVD yet. Of the ones I haven’t seen, I keep meaning to see Green Mile the most though. Just never seem to have time to sit down and devote 2 or more hours to a movie.

Took me like 4 years after it was released before I finally watched Titanic. :slight_smile:

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 12:10 PM [b] Took me like 4 years after it was released before I finally watched Titanic. :) [/b]
Thats not horrible... you already knew the general plot and ending before it started.

I haven’t seen Bourne Identity yet, and while it wasn’t on your list (I’ve seen all those except Passion), I’ld like to see it.

JCL,

Oddly haven’t seen Scarface or Fargo either. I do now have the Scarface DVD, but not the time to watch it (Yes I have the time to waste on this board, but it’s at work and not at home where I never am :frowning: ).

I finally saw Kill Bill vol 2 yesterday. Personally I loved both of them, however I about lost my lunch during one of the fight scenes. Won’t spoil it though.

Scarface - great movie, but I don’t get the reverence people have for it. I cant see watching it more than a couple of times. Then again, I felt that way about the Godfather trilogy too, so what do I know.

Schindler’s List - haven’t seen it either. Wife hates depressing movies.

Lord of the Rings (any of them) - What weekend escapism cinema strives to be. Unfortunately, it ruined even the original Star Wars trilogy for me. It’s so much better than those movies.

Star Wars (any of the NEW trilogy, not originals) - TPM is downright painful at times. It’s such a kiddie flick. AotC is ok, just very antiseptic with the same horrific dialogue & Lucas f’ing with the back story as the others. After you see these you’ll realize how much Harrison Ford meant to the first trilogy.

Fargo - Quirky and very good. Dont wanna ruin the ending, but that closing scene is really memorable to me.

The Green Mile - very solid. No shawshank, but very good.

Kill Bill (both) - I couldnt stay awake through the 2nd one. Too slow. Sorry. First one was a very good movie minus the squirting blood homage.

Passion of the Christ - haven’t seen it either (same reason as Schindler’s)

Rocky Horror Picture Show - for the oddball, repressed part of your persona. Totally corny and stupid yet brilliant movie.

It’s A Wonderful Life - tearjerker.

Saving Private Ryan - You really should see this one. You should probably own it too. I think I may have almost cried in a couple of spots. One of Tom Hanks’ best. Does Sizemore survive ANY flick he’s in?? Great guy flick.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 01:46 PM [b] Saving Private Ryan - You really should see this one. You should probably own it too. I think I may have almost cried in a couple of spots. One of Tom Hanks' best. Does Sizemore survive ANY flick he's in?? Great guy flick. [/b]
Really surprised I never saw this because that type of genre is usually right up my alley. I'll have to find some time to take in a few on my list, starting with either SPR or Green Mile. I'm familiar enough with Rocky Horror to know I probably wouldn't enjoy it very much from an entertainment perspective so I doubt I'll ever watch it. Thanks for the recaps by the way. And I'm going to actually cave in and give the first LOTR a try soon. Even my sister said she loved it and she is far less the type to enjoy that type of movie than I am.
[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 01:46 PM [b]

Schindler’s List - haven’t seen it either. Wife hates depressing movies.
[/b]

It’s far and away Spielberg’s best. I think he makes lots and lots of bad movies, but Schindler’s List is great. It actually has substance, unlike a lot of his movies.

Did you hate Indiana Jones then?

'Cause I loved those. All 3 of them. Ford is worthy of the hype he gets. At least his earlier career was.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 03:00 PM [b] Really surprised I never saw this because that type of genre is usually right up my alley. I'll have to find some time to take in a few on my list, starting with either SPR or Green Mile. I'm familiar enough with Rocky Horror to know I probably wouldn't enjoy it very much from an entertainment perspective so I doubt I'll ever watch it. Thanks for the recaps by the way. And I'm going to actually cave in and give the first LOTR a try soon. Even my sister said she loved it and she is far less the type to enjoy that type of movie than I am. [/b]
NP. I was bored today. Company servers on the fritz. Internet was about all that worked (including me...heh).

I think I’m gonna watch TGM & SPR again. Got me remembering how good they are. I had someone try to make the ridiculous comparison between Pearl Harbor & SPR. I’ll tell you right now that it isn’t even close. I saw SPR with a buncha WWII Europe campaign vets and they openly wept. The Normandy invasion (is that Omaha Beach? I forget) is amazing and harrowing enough to induce nightmares at the same time. The rest of the movie isn’t bad either.

J, unless you go in with a closed mind, you should like LotR. Even if you don’t like the genre, it’s still very well done. You’ll miss lots of little things from not having read the books though. Then again, if you’re like PB (perfectionist :P), that may be a good thing.

I need to see Schlindler’s List too, it seems.

Oh, and PB, I heard today that there’s a 10th anniversary edition of Leon (aka The Professional) coming out soon, complete with all the cut scenes & some nice extras. Kickass!

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait+Oct 4 2004, 05:34 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Powerbait @ Oct 4 2004, 05:34 PM)

I like ET and SL. Saving Private Ryan is okay.

Most of his movies don’t hold up on repeat viewing to me.

I used to love his movies, but now I think they are a little hokey and lack any depth. He’s a great director of fluff. I understand a lot of people like his movies, but I still think most of them are lacking.

I’ve never seen The Big Lebowski.

There. I said it.

[b] Good Movies Minority Report

Very Average Movies
Catch Me If You Can
[/b]

Both of these are great movies, the first one being one of the best science fiction movies in the past decade, the latter is one of the best reviewed films he’s done.

If you’re a movie geek like myself, you’ll like this site. It provides a compilation of movie reviews from almost every movie ever made.
Rotten Tomotoes

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 09:08 AM [b] I've never seen The Big Lebowski.

There. I said it. [/b]

Kingpin is a much better movie about bowling. 4 stars for Bill Murrays’ hair alone.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate+Oct 4 2004, 07:17 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (NinerAdvocate @ Oct 4 2004, 07:17 PM)

I liked Catch Me If You Can as well and I’m didn’t consider myself a Leo fan in the least, prior to watching it. Wasn’t great but IMO, I got my money’s worth. Obviously, Hanks is phenomonal but for some odd reason, I had trouble buying into him playing that role. Just felt like the movie could have been a tad better with someone else playing the role of Carl.

Since someone mentioned it, I haven’t seen Kingpin either.