Big East or CUSA?

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:20, topic:27176”]I think a lot of folks have a hard time separating what the Big East used to be from what the Big East is going to be in 2014. UConn, UL and maybe even Cincy will be gone. Not sure what Boise St. and SDSU would get from being in a non-AQ east coast conference. All they’re doing is wrapping the lower half of CUSA 1.0 up with Temple and a few basketball-only schools and calling it the Big East instead of CUSA.[/quote]I think everyone realizes that. You can’t seem to realize though that all of the programs in the BE have better support, success, and name recognition than what is left in CUSA…all except Tulane of course…and DePaul.

BE even without Ville, UCONN, and Cincy > CUSA.

Hell just playing Memphis again in basketball would be nice. If the basketball schools stick around, even better. I’d love to have Memphis, Temple, Georgetown, and Marquette in Halton. Beats the shit out of Rice, UTSA, and FIU.

I am not making this decision until things settle - we all know the BE will lose some more teams and if the ACC loses more then the BE loses even more. Let’s see where things shake down to and then freak out. Right now I am not happy, but not freaking out.

If non-FB BE leaves, there is no Marquette, G-town, Nova, etc. And Memphis, Cincy, UL, USF, & Temple may leave for ACC, B10, B12, SEC, etc. Then CUSA may be better. Only join BE if we have guarantees on who stays.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:23, topic:27176”]I am not making this decision until things settle - we all know the BE will lose some more teams and if the ACC loses more then the BE loses even more. Let’s see where things shake down to and then freak out. Right now I am not happy, but not freaking out.
[/quote]That’s how I feel too.

One thing is certain, ECU didn’t need a TV market to get their football in the Big East. We are NOT tied to them, nor they to us.

My thoughts are that the fans and the TV ratings follow the teams and not the conference. Do you think that ECU will have more fans now because they are in the Big East? No. Who is going to say that a Big East game is on that I just have to watch? No one. What I see is Conference USA bringing in some youth to the college football landscape in certain cities that have a large number of people. If you are a citizen of Charlotte and you are wanting to watch football, but you have no affiliation with a school who do you watch? Do you want to pull for ECU because they are in the Big East or do you pull for Charlotte because that is where you live? It is now apples to apples and not apples and oranges.

At the end of the day it is still FBS football and I think that the market population will determine the success or failure of the teams. I have a feeling Charlotte and ODU are going to blow up. Not because of the conferences, but because these are some of the fastest growing areas in the South. The ratings will follow and then the money will follow. App State is the same as ECU in my opinion in that they have tradition, but they don’t have the potential to have thousands of new fans.

The human mind has an amazing ability to rationalize.

[quote=“2k, post:25, topic:27176”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:23, topic:27176”]I am not making this decision until things settle - we all know the BE will lose some more teams and if the ACC loses more then the BE loses even more. Let’s see where things shake down to and then freak out. Right now I am not happy, but not freaking out.
[/quote]That’s how I feel too.[/quote]

If the ACC goes to 16 and the BE or it’s equal is at 16 and we are stuck with MTSU and and North Texas on the outside then I freak out. That means that we are left out for a long time until the super conferences start to break up which could take a very long time. And my hatred for lack of football vision for Woodward and Judy’s failure as an AD to either make it happen or convince our admin it needed to happen will rise to epic proportions.

MTSU has a pretty good following in Nashville.

If…

[ul][li]you take Louisville out of the mix[/li]
[li]Cincy and UConn leave[/li]
[li]Boise State and SDSU go back to the Mountain West[/li]
[li]The Catholic schools - Georgetown, Marquette, Villinova, St Johns, Seton Hall, and Depaul - ask what is best for us?[/li][/ul]
Then the Big East is…

[table]
[tr] [td]Team[/td][td] [/td][td]Football (2012)[/td][td] [/td][td]Basketball (2011-12)[/td] [/tr]
[tr] [td]USF[/td][td] [/td][td]3-8[/td][td] [/td][td]22-14[/td] [/tr]
[tr] [td]Temple[/td][td] [/td][td]4-7[/td][td] [/td][td]24-8[/td] [/tr]
[tr] [td]UCF[/td][td] [/td][td]9-3[/td][td] [/td][td]22-11[/td] [/tr]
[tr] [td]Houston[/td][td] [/td][td]5-7[/td][td] [/td][td]15-15[/td] [/tr]
[tr] [td]Memphis[/td][td] [/td][td]4-8[/td][td] [/td][td]26-9[/td] [/tr]
[tr] [td]Tulane[/td][td] [/td][td]2-10[/td][td] [/td][td]15-16[/td] [/tr]
[tr] [td]ECU[/td][td] [/td][td]8-4[/td][td] [/td][td]15-16[/td] [/tr]
[tr] [td]Navy[/td][td] [/td][td]7-4[/td][td] [/td][td]N/A[/td] [/tr]
[/table]

This now looks like a mediocre football conference and a typically 2 bid basketball conference. Looking at it on paper A) we actually fit pretty well, B) I think I would join, and C) it sure isn’t the Big East I wanted to join.

[quote=“Nugget, post:31, topic:27176”]If…

[li]The Catholic schools - Georgetown, Marquette, Villinova, St Johns, Seton Hall, and Depaul - ask what is best for us?[/li][/ul]
Then the Big East is…

[table]
[tr] [td]Team[/td][td] [/td][td]Football (2012)[/td][td] [/td][td]Basketball (2011-12)[/td] [/tr]
[/table]

This now looks like a mediocre football conference and a typically 2 bid basketball conference. Looking at it on paper A) we actually fit pretty well, B) I think I would join, and C) it sure isn’t the Big East I wanted to join.[/quote]

you are assuming the catholic schools are going to leave. even if only a few stay it is still a good basketball conference. i would easily say big east.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:32, topic:27176”][quote=“Nugget, post:31, topic:27176”]If…

Then the Big East is…

[table]
[/table]

This now looks like a mediocre football conference and a typically 2 bid basketball conference. Looking at it on paper A) we actually fit pretty well, B) I think I would join, and C) it sure isn’t the Big East I wanted to join.[/quote]

you are assuming the catholic schools are going to leave. even if only a few stay it is still a good basketball conference. i would easily say big east.[/quote]Yes, I am assuming they leave. I am sure they are not sitting there thinking that their situation has gotten better.

[quote=“Nugget, post:33, topic:27176”][quote=“ninerfan55, post:32, topic:27176”][quote=“Nugget, post:31, topic:27176”]If…

Then the Big East is…

[table]
[/table]

you are assuming the catholic schools are going to leave. even if only a few stay it is still a good basketball conference. i would easily say big east.[/quote]Yes, I am assuming they leave. I am sure they are not sitting there thinking that their situation has gotten better.[/quote]

I see what you are saying but where in the world would they go? There are only 7 of them, you forgot Providence. I don’t see them joining their own conference, maybe they pick off some A-10 schools but if that happens its going to get real crazy.

[quote=“EE9er, post:34, topic:27176”][quote=“Nugget, post:33, topic:27176”][quote=“ninerfan55, post:32, topic:27176”][quote=“Nugget, post:31, topic:27176”]If…

Then the Big East is…

[table]
[/table]

you are assuming the catholic schools are going to leave. even if only a few stay it is still a good basketball conference. i would easily say big east.[/quote]Yes, I am assuming they leave. I am sure they are not sitting there thinking that their situation has gotten better.[/quote]

I see what you are saying but where in the world would they go? There are only 7 of them, you forgot Providence. I don’t see them joining their own conference, maybe they pick off some A-10 schools but if that happens its going to get real crazy.[/quote]Thanks for catching Providence EE. I do not know what the mechanics will be, but I do see the BE Catholics combining with some of the A-10 and making a better basketball-only conference. One of the big hurdles is losing the Auto-bid to the big dance, but I am not ruling out them finding a way to keep that. With all the conference mess that is going on the NCAA would be hard-pressed to punish some of their historically strong programs that were basically victims of realignment because they do not have football.

Looks like, for the moment, only LVille is going ACC. UConn and Cincy staying pat in BE. Not the best news for us.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:36, topic:27176”]Looks like, for the moment, only LVille is going ACC. UConn and Cincy staying pat in BE. Not the best news for us.[/quote]UConn and Cincy are in the bullpen. As soon as the ACC gets raided they will get the call.

[quote=“ChevEE, post:1, topic:27176”]CUSA

[ul][li]Rice[/li]
[li]Southern Miss[/li]
[li]Tulsa[/li]
[li]UAB[/li]
[li]UTEP[/li]
[li]Marshall[/li]
[li]La Tech[/li]
[li]FIU[/li]
[li]North Texas[/li]
[li]ODU[/li]
[li]Texas-San Antonio[/li]
[li]MTSU[/li]
[li]FAU[/li][/ul]
Big East

[ul][li]Temple[/li]
[li]USF[/li]
[li]Navy[/li]
[li]Memphis[/li]
[li]UCF[/li]
[li]ECU[/li]
[li]Tulane[/li]
[li]Villanova (No Football)[/li]
[li]DePaul (No Football)[/li]
[li]Georgetown (No Football)[/li]
[li]Marquette (No Football)[/li]
[li]Providence (No Football)[/li]
[li]Seton Hall (No Football)[/li]
[li]St. Johns (No Football)[/li][/ul]
Please tell me if I’m missing someone in the lists above.[/quote]

When the dust settles after this round of defections and re-alignment, I think this is the best case scenario for the Big East (not considering additions that they might make). UConn, Louisville, and Cincy will be ACC bound. BSU and SDSU are already talking to the MWC and will likely go back there now that the better football schools have left the Big East. I think Houston and SMU will also go to the MWC if they don’t get an invite to the Big 12. If the ACC loses the teams they are rumored to be losing, you might can also see Temple, Memphis, and possibly USF exit the Big East for the ACC. Big East doesn’t look so pretty after that.

All I have to go off of is what cusa looks like it will be and that is not a pretty sight. And hard to imagine a good school from the big east packing up and saying hey, let’s go play in the cusa. They are looking at the other teams in our conference just like we are. If you were any of those schools, would you want to play in cusa? The teams look terrible!

Hope I’m wrong but hard to be optimistic about this. I hate to keep bitching in these threads, I just need to quit clicking on them… Or share some of that green koolaid some of u are drinking.

The key I think is if the BE loses too many schools rebuilding their football is not a reality. Schools like USF and UCF might just have to go find a home somewhere.