Big South wants Charlotte badly

Interesting article in todayā€™s Myrtle Beach Sun Newsā€¦ Big South schools wooing UNC Charlotte.

Sorry Big South, but tens donā€™t date fours. 8)

Just kidding, Iā€™d like to join the Big South IN FOOTBALL ONLY! For the love of God I hope we donā€™t completely murder basketball by going all-sports to some little conference like this.

If itā€™s FB only.

Yeah I know. I edited my post.

[quote=ā€œChisox17, post:2, topic:24249ā€]Sorry Big South, but tens donā€™t date fours. 8)

Just kidding, Iā€™d like to join the Big South IN FOOTBALL ONLY! For the love of God I hope we donā€™t completely murder basketball by going all-sports to some little conference like this.[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!--------not even for ā€œfootball onlyā€ā€¦

Lol if not the Big South where do you expect us to go??? we have limited optionsā€¦hold your hopes for CAA if you likeā€¦i for one am not

Interesting that we will be playing 6 Big South games in our 1st 2 seasons of football. 8 if you count Campbell who is joining the conference in 2011. I donā€™t think they will be be Big South for football though.

We easily are in the center of their footprint so it could make some senseā€¦but itā€™s not sexy, thatā€™s for sure!

Here are the current members - Iā€™m assuming most donā€™t know this by heartā€¦ 8)

Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Liberty
Presbyterian College
Radford
UNC Asheville
Virginia Milatary Institute
Winthrop

My primary issue with the Big South is that weā€™d be limiting ourselves in terms of recruiting. That sounds awfully snotty for a startup program, but we have designs on moving up eventually.

Iā€™d certainly enjoy the geography though. Lots of close by games.

Iā€™d much rather the Southern Conference or the CAA. But it feels nice to be wanted.

I actually think if we go to a lesser FCS conference it could be a decent sign that we arenā€™t going to be there long. if we land in the CAA I could see us staying at FCS level for awhile.

[quote=ā€œscollie41, post:8, topic:24249ā€]We easily are in the center of their footprint so it could make some senseā€¦but itā€™s not sexy, thatā€™s for sure!

Here are the current members - Iā€™m assuming most donā€™t know this by heartā€¦ 8)

Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Liberty
Presbyterian College
Radford
UNC Asheville
Winthrop[/quote]Aside from Liberty, they all have glorified high school stadiums. Libertyā€™s new stadium will be very nice. I think theyā€™re aiming for higher places than the Big South.

[quote=ā€œscollie41, post:8, topic:24249ā€]We easily are in the center of their footprint so it could make some senseā€¦but itā€™s not sexy, thatā€™s for sure!

Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Liberty
Presbyterian College
Radford
UNC Asheville
Winthrop[/quote]

I recently found out that the Big South headquarters are located here in Charlotte.

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms]Big South Conference
[/font][/size]
7233 Pineville-Matthews Road, Suite 100
Charlotte, N.C. 28226

Isnā€™t the Big South headquarters in Charlotte?..yea, i googled it while typing, it is.

[quote=ā€œMr. Bojangles, post:12, topic:24249ā€][quote=ā€œscollie41, post:8, topic:24249ā€]We easily are in the center of their footprint so it could make some senseā€¦but itā€™s not sexy, thatā€™s for sure!

Charleston Southern
Coastal Carolina
Gardner-Webb
High Point
Liberty
Presbyterian College
Radford
UNC Asheville
Winthrop[/quote]

I recently found out that the Big South headquarters are located here in Charlotte.

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms]Big South Conference
[/font][/size]
7233 Pineville-Matthews Road, Suite 100
Charlotte, N.C. 28226[/quote]
lol guess i wasnt the only

Does the winner of the conference get an automatic spot in the playoffs?

yes they doā€¦starting this year I believe?..anyway per the expansion to 20 playoff teams, Big South and NEC now get auto bids

How would we ā€œlimitā€ ourselves with recruiting. Coastal has recruited NFL talent in the Big South.

yes they doā€¦starting this year I believe?..anyway per the expansion to 20 playoff teams, Big South and NEC now get auto bids[/quote]

I guess it wouldnā€™t be so bad if we could win it every year. Winning a conference championship each year would increase the fanbase and the travel budget would be much less.

yes they doā€¦starting this year I believe?..anyway per the expansion to 20 playoff teams, Big South and NEC now get auto bids[/quote]

I guess it wouldnā€™t be so bad if we could win it every year. Winning a conference championship each year would increase the fanbase and the travel budget would be much less.[/quote]Liberty and Coastal would be the greatest competition. Both have fairly good FCS teams I believe. I know Coastal typically does. We certainly would have the most going for us out of that bunch, so Iā€™d hope we could out recruit them shortly after starting football. Our fanbase is bigger, our stadium would be the nicest in the conference from the start, and what most would consider to be a better location.

Does anyone else recall from a few weeks ago ā€¦ either a Socon or CAA messageboard talking about how Charlotte would be forced to downgrade basketball to full membership in a FCS football conference?
Yep, they were full of shit, just as I thought.

The Big South makes a perfectly rational sales pitch. Letā€™s keep their scholarship offer on the table and see who else sends us love.