Bobby or Matt

How could you not say Doherty would be the better fit. First off people seem to forget how he took a dorment Notre dame program and turned them into a top 25 team. He then had instant success at CHā€¦only to be ousted by a crybaby class of freshman. Freshman that he knew would emerge, as shown todayā€¦but at the time freshman who were not used to losing, and used to being pampered. Doherty will not pamper youā€¦he will coach youā€¦something that really has not been done during the Lutz era. Does Lutz really get the most out of his talent? Iti has taken 10 steps backward, Withers should be a 22 and 10 a night guy, but for half the year Lutz let him reign free outside. I just look at the two coachesā€¦Doherty was overthrown after his team of freshman did not win in the ACCā€¦Lutz had a team quit on him tooā€¦and he recieved a NEW CONTRACT. If Lutz does leaveā€¦Doherty has to be the replacement. He provides an INSTANT FACE to our programā€¦ala Bobby Knight and TT. He has a point to proveā€¦and can prove it with a program that is on the brink. I just see a more competitive OOC in the future with himā€¦I see a NATIONAL programā€¦and I see some NCAA tourney runsā€¦it is time for a change

I vote for the one that looks like John Kerry.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Mar 22 2005, 10:54 PM [b] [img]http://www.unccharlotte.cwc.net/lutz/lutz_trophy.jpg[/img]

OR

HONESTLY, I donā€™t care, as long as whoever it is WANTS to make this program into something worthwhile. [/b]

That pic of Doh. makes me ask probally a stupid question, but can Bobby play ball? I know he tried out for the 77ā€™ walk on team, but is he any good at all? We know Doh. can play.

Bobby over Doh.

Write in vote: Marshall over both.

Lutz would be my choice between the 2. If Lutz were to leave, I would have no problem with Doherty coming in here.

[i]Originally posted by LakeNorman49er[/i]@Mar 22 2005, 10:08 PM [b] i think having him as coach could help increase contributions. [/b]
Interesting thought... I wonder if the program would increase donations from alum who have "dual allegiances", i.e. their kids are at UNC or they "grew up" a heel fan but went to Charlotte, etc..

Several thoughts on the replies already listedā€¦

Lutz has done more for UNCC with less resources available than most C-USA schools. I do NOT believe he wants to leave UNCC nor wants it to be a ā€œstepping stoneā€ but my guess is he is frustrated with some of the administrative things going on (e.g. why put $, time and resources toward Womanā€™s C-USA Tournament?) No offense to Katie Meier - that just doesnā€™t make business sense to meā€¦

next thingā€¦ I am probably one of the biggest ABCers out there. I just donā€™t pull for the Tarheels. That being said, I think Doherty would be a gambleā€¦ either a huge success here or a huge failureā€¦ if Lutz leaves, I would be willing to take that chance on Doherty (I canā€™t believe Iā€™m saying that out loud about a Tarheel alum).

Also, I have chatted with many people about Greg Marshall. I even talked to a former player of him. Not one person left out the word ā€œa-holeā€ when describing him. If that is the case, heā€™d probably not get along well with Judy.

Back to this season, yes Iā€™m frustrated that we lost in the first round and Iā€™m bumbed about the four game slideā€¦ BUTā€¦ what Lutz has done here in 7 years is really good. Weā€™ve been on the verge of the next tier. I do worry about going to the A-10 and keeping us from the ā€œnext levelā€. I do think Lutz was outcoached by Sendeck. I do think we had some failures against USF. I think we lost to a great Louisville team (who got screwed more than any of the other 64 teams with a #4 seed) and we played a hot Memphis team at their home. The world is not ending. Lutz is still a good recruiter and a great Xs and Os coach who had a bad game or two. For anyone that wants him out, not only is that crazy but youā€™d better watch what you wish for.

I do think some changes need to be made with Charlotte Athletics - Bobby Lutz is NOT one of them.

Nice post UNCC49R.

I choose Doherty, it is time for a change.

I detest UNC with all my heart but hiring Doh would open up my wallet far quicker than any other options. And people who use the reasoning of ā€œheā€™d just leave us in a couple years if he did wellā€ need to accept that will be the case with virtually ANY coach we hire. I know itā€™s an insult to consider us a stepping-stone school but if any coach excels here, we have to expect offers to come calling. And as Bilas said on the MSP this morning, thatā€™s a good thing. I just have a hard time believing weā€™re going to be able to lock down a successful coach here for an extended period of time. With that said, I want Doh because regardless of how long he stays, I think heā€™s the best bet for quick success. I love Greg Marshall but Iā€™d worry about a down period with him before getting back to being a top 30/at-large birth team.

At this point, it doesnā€™t even look like other schools think highly enough of Lutz to hire him so it all may be a moot point. I just hope that nothing with the UT job had anything to do with how our last 4 games turned out. We may never know but if that were the case, it would have a major affect on my feelings towards Bobby, as well as other things.

[i]Originally posted by UNCC49R[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 09:53 AM [b]

Also, I have chatted with many people about Greg Marshall. I even talked to a former player of him. Not one person left out the word ā€œa-holeā€ when describing him. If that is the case, heā€™d probably not get along well with Judy.

[/b]

I hope Bobby stays but maybe we need an ā€œa-holeā€ in here. ā€œA-holesā€ win. Look at Huggins, Pitino, and Coach K. Coach K is one of the biggest ā€œa-holesā€ of them all. Heā€™s also a winner.

Lutz needs to stay. I donā€™t have the confidence in Judy to select his replacement.

If Bobby leaves leaves I am certain he will be a success where ever he goes. We should all be very greatful for what he has done here -> quite remarkable.

Iā€™ve been saying for months that I think we need a new AD to get us to the next level. Not sure what that has to do with Bobbyā€™s decision.

If we need a new coach, I hope the hell we get the right one who can first and foremost produce RESULTS equal to better than Bobby. I really donā€™t give a hoot if their a-holes.

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 09:35 AM [b] I detest UNC with all my heart but hiring Doh would open up my wallet far quicker than any other options. And people who use the reasoning of "he'd just leave us in a couple years if he did well" need to accept that will be the case with virtually ANY coach we hire. [/b]
You may want to consider this before opening your wallet for Doherty:

Dohertyā€™s overall record after the Georgia Tech loss game is 67-50, but his combined mark in games from January 31st on ā€“ when you begin to play teams who have seen you once before and your players begin to tire ā€“ is just 20-21.

The failures of his Carolina teams late in the past two years are well known. But in his lone year at Notre Dame, Doherty did not fare much better. After the Irish stunned Ohio State ā€“ a Final Four participant the year before ā€“ in their first game of the season and put together a seven game win streak through December and the early part of January, Notre Dame went just 6-6 over the final ten regular season games and two Big East Tournament contests. That mediocre stretch cost them an NCAA bid, even if the Irish did rebound to win four of five in the NIT and reach the final game before losing to Wake Forest.

Name and lineage donā€™t win basketball games.

Matt

we need a change at the helm

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Mar 23 2005, 11:03 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Mar 23 2005, 11:03 AM)

JCLā€¦detest is a strong wordā€¦wow

[i]Originally posted by Jimmyhat49er[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 10:28 AM [b] Notre Dame was 14-16 and 15-14 the 2 years before Doh arrived so what is your point???? Also home attendance went up an average if 500 a game his first year and I think it would go up much more dramatically for us. [/b]
I thought we were looking for someone to get us to the next level. Doherty was 28-28 in Feb & March in his 4 years as a head coach. His teams regularly faded down the stretch. Keep in mind he did all of this while at ND and UNC. :o

Lutz is 51 - 36 in Feb & March.

Yes, I agree Doh would sell some tickets and increase interest.

[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner[/i]@Mar 23 2005, 10:03 AM [b] You may want to consider this before opening your wallet for Doherty:

[/b]

Iā€™ll consider my own opinion when it comes to donating my money, but thanks for the input. :slight_smile:

If Bobby leaves, I wouldnā€™t be opposed to giving Doherty a shot. But that doesnā€™t mean I wouldnā€™t be a little nervous about it in his first couple of seasons. I donā€™t think he would be the savior that some people think he could beā€¦

At UNC-Chapel Hill he took over at one of the most elite basketball programs in the country. In three seasons he only managed to make the NCAA tournament once. The one time he did make it, he lost in the second round. One year he finished 8-20 (or something like that) which I believe is the worst record in the history of the school. In his three years there he managed to piss off a lot of the players, parents, and administration. There were complaints about his practice requirements and that he had dramatic mood swings. At least three players transferred to get away from him and several more threatened to do the same if he wasnā€™t removed. That was a pretty bad three years for a school that was very good before he came and has been very good since he left. From what Iā€™ve heard, he didnā€™t exactly make a lot of friends while he was at Notre Dame either. Iā€™m just not sure he has the leadership and people skills that you need to be a head coach. Iā€™m all for a coach that will bring structure, discipline, and tough practices but he also needs to be able to keep the trust and respect of the players and get them to work as a team.

On the other hand, I do think he would help attendance which would be a good thing with our move to the A10 next year. Being a ā€œnig nameā€ coach, he would also generate a lot of publicity which could also be good. If he has learned from his past mistakes and changed his ways, I think he could make a good coach. Some things never change though, so there is no telling what we would get until he actually came here and started coaching. Whatever we could pay him would be a fraction of what he made for UNC-CHā€¦ I think he would be gone in a heartbeat if he got the chance. If we were to hire him, I hope Judy puts a nice big buyout clause in his contract as a safety net for us.

As I said, Iā€™m not opposed to giving him a chance here but there may be better options out there for us.

[b] one of the most elite basketball programs in the country. [/b]

not one of, the most eliteā€¦the yankees of college basketball.

By month:

Doherty:
November - 14-8
December - 19-8
January - 15-15
February - 14-17
March - 14-11

Overall: 76-59 (56% winning percentage)

Lutz in November - 17-9
Lutz in December - 32-20
Lutz in January - 35-18
Lutz in February - 33-19
Lutz in March - 18-17

Overall: 135 - 83 (62% winning percentage)